Where to find retro kit...?

discuss both original and modern hardware for the bbc micro/electron
LordVaderUK

Where to find retro kit...?

Post by LordVaderUK » Sun Mar 08, 2020 5:10 pm

There’s a fairly big car boot sale near to where I live, so I went along this morning hoping to find some retro kit for sale in amongst all the other junk, er, quality repurposed items 😇.

However, there was nothing. Most old tech on offer was from this century - Windows laptops and PCs, old iPods, Xboxes, a million tangled charger cables, and lots and lots of Wii consoles!

Obviously a lot of retro kit ends up on eBay, but as far as I can see, it’s mostly over priced, or priced for the market - there are very few bargains on there. I saw the thread about approaching educational establishments, but I think that ship has sailed - I can’t imagine there are many 80s computers still doing service in schools. I even phoned my local WEEE recycling centre, but even once I’d explained what I meant by “retro computers”, they said they didn’t get any donated.

Is there anywhere else left to find old retro kit which can be rescued and restored, without paying eBay prices? 🤔
Loving my BBC Master 128

jonb

Re: Where to find retro kit...?

Post by jonb » Sun Mar 08, 2020 8:06 pm

Unfortunately “the market” has cottoned on to the collectibility of these things.

Finding an old Speccy in a box for a fiver (“Take £4 for cash, mate?”) in a car boot sale is a thing of the past.

Sometimes you get lucky on the unusual sites, though.

CMcDougall

Post by CMcDougall » Sun Mar 08, 2020 9:09 pm

"ship has sailed"... Did you mean skip??! :lol:

wait 40 year, then our kids will just throw it all out the cupboard / loft :shock:

I went to a few car boot sales, also found nothing apart from a few Sony PS1 games :cry:

Wii's are handy things to have, put homebrew app on them, then get all emulators & games under the sun upto PS1, it struggles with the sound doing that. Also the DVD player app, as not standard from factory #-o
ImageImageImage

gidandridge

Post by gidandridge » Sun Mar 08, 2020 9:18 pm

CMcDougall wrote:
Sun Mar 08, 2020 9:09 pm
wait 40 year, then our kids will just throw it all out the cupboard / loft :shock:
:lol: - That's proper funny!
Gav. :D

BBC Model B Sidewise ROM Board, GoSDC, Datacentre, Hybrid Music 5000
Acorn Electron Plus 1, AP6, GoSDC, Slogger Pegasus 400

1024MAK

Post by 1024MAK » Mon Mar 09, 2020 11:23 am

Occasionally you may find something of interest at a radio rally.

Also tell your friends and work colleagues. As sometimes they may have hidden treasures in their lofts, or a friend of theirs may have something. However, your choice will be limited. As BBC Micros were a bit too expensive for most people. But ZX Spectrums and Commodore 64s and maybe the occasional Electron may turn up...

Mark

VectorEyes

Post by VectorEyes » Mon Mar 09, 2020 12:09 pm

Well, last week one of my colleagues gave me his old Master 128 and disc drive in exchange for me promising to make a donation to a charity of my choice. Asking friends and colleagues if they have old unused computers can certainly pay off.

(Still haven’t found anyone with an ARM Evaluation System though!)

1024MAK

Post by 1024MAK » Mon Mar 09, 2020 2:08 pm

Oh, there are three other sources...
  • Put a post in the wanted section on the forum and watch the for sale section of the forum like a hawk...
  • ABug meet ups...
  • Other ‘retro’ computer events
Mark

RetroBob

Post by RetroBob » Mon Mar 09, 2020 2:30 pm

I used to go car boot sales before 'retro' was in and you could get a lot of stuff for cheap but as has been suggested, those times are LONG gone now. For the things I was looking for at the time (games consoles and games), things were starting to tail off 10 years ago (given we are in 2020!).

egel

Post by egel » Wed Mar 25, 2020 11:53 am

People may now have time to clean out their attic, basement, or hobby room. You never know what will come up then.

Return to “8-bit acorn hardware”