Finding my old school equipment (Sheffield)

discuss both original and modern hardware for the bbc micro/electron
blackwitch

Finding my old school equipment (Sheffield)

Post by blackwitch » Tue Mar 03, 2020 12:39 pm

Hi all.

Has anyone ever tried to find any equipment from their old school in the 80's?

Going with the fact that most schools branded their equipment I thought I'd ask for a longshot so I'm looking for anything from my school in Sheffield. It's Firth Park school and so it would either say 'Firth Park School' or 'FPS'.

Yep, it's a longshot but if anyone ever found anything via branding?

:) :D

BeebMaster

Re: Finding my old school equipment (Sheffield)

Post by BeebMaster » Tue Mar 03, 2020 2:13 pm

Not exactly, but sort-of...in around 2001 I wrote to as many schools in my local education authority area as I could asking if they had any Acorn equipment. A handful replied and they were generally surprised that anyone wanted Acorn kit, and pleased that I was going to come and nick it all, as they had the pay the council to dispose of it!

Most of it was monitors and disc drives, and a lot of it was pretty grotty as you might expect from ex-school computers. There were a few Beebs and Masters. The best finds were "you might as well take that dead Master over there as well" on a trip to collect some Electrohome monitors, which turned out to be a Master 512 with a loose 80186 board, and a FileStore E01 at a different school. Apart from the FileStore, I didn't retrieve any Econet kit at all, which is perhaps a bit surprising given its prevalence in schools.

Much of this kit had the school name chiselled into it, and local authority electrical safety labels on.

I think my old primary school replied, as it was the same headmaster from when I was there 15+ years previously, but I don't recall them having any kit to pass on. I should have asked them if they still had the old Banda machine as well.

I was still on good terms with my secondary school then, and I got the Master which is now Station 1 from the CDT department around this time. It had only just stopped being used. Last time I was in school a few years back I noticed an old overhead projector in a cupboard and told them to let me know when they were throwing it away so I could come and collect it. Haven't heard anything yet...

Kazzie

Post by Kazzie » Tue Mar 03, 2020 3:02 pm

I've seen one Archimedes from my high school, but that's by virtue of the fact that I saved it from the skip while I was still a pupil. 8)
BBC Model B 32k issue 7, Sidewise ROM board with 16K RAM
Archimedes 420/1 upgraded to 4MB RAM, ZIDEFS with 512MB CF card
Acorn System 1 home-made replica

Boydie

Post by Boydie » Tue Mar 03, 2020 4:29 pm

From my old school, I got:

TRS80 Model III (first computer I ever touched)
TRS80 Line Printer VII
BBC Model A
Filestore E01 & E20
Watford Adder
Watford Beeb Video Digitiser
Acorn teletext adapter
6502 Second Processor
2 x Music87
2 x Watford ROM boards
Acoustic coupler
Loads of eproms
Acorn Comal

Probably a few other things that I’ve forgotten.

LordVaderUK

Post by LordVaderUK » Tue Mar 03, 2020 6:23 pm

There’s probably still the odd school using 1980s kit here and there - a controller tucked away for some obscure piece of lab equipment or woodworking tool... makes you wonder how many BBCs are still out in the world being used for a function they were originally purchased for (not counting all those in the hands of retro enthusiasts!)
Loving my BBC Master 128

SimonSideburns

Post by SimonSideburns » Wed Mar 04, 2020 11:12 pm

I wasn't really on the ball when it came to phoning Educational establishments to see about recovering old Acorn kit, and missed out greatly.

I tried again a few years back just on the off chance that some old bits and bobs might still be languishing in the back of an old store cupboard, for example, but didn't get much luck then either.

I was told by one establishment that they might have some RM Nimbus equipment, but I wasn't really sure about any of it as I have never used or seen such equipment, and so I politely passed on that one, but with hindsight maybe I should have said I'd go and have a look.

I've even forgotten who I called, and their replies, but it wasn't many places around our area. I would have travelled within say a 20 mile radius, but I didn't have a very good list of numbers to contact.

I might try again, but the longer I leave it the less chance of any of this old equipment being available.
Just remember kids, Beeb spelled backwards is Beeb!

jgharston

Post by jgharston » Wed Mar 04, 2020 11:48 pm

I was a governor at my old school (Myers Grove in Sheffield), and just missed getting "my" MDFS with loads of my stuff on it. I was going to arrange it with the head of IT who was a teacher governor, but he missed a couple of governors' meetings where I was going to arrange it. It was years before I could drive, so would have needed specific timing so I could book a taxi. By the time I was able to grab him it had been skipped.

I still catch myself thinking "I'll just pop down to Myers and...." but even the school itself has been skipped now. ;)

Code: Select all

$ bbcbasic
PDP11 BBC BASIC IV Version 0.32
(C) Copyright J.G.Harston 1989,2005-2020
>_

flaxcottage

Post by flaxcottage » Thu Mar 05, 2020 7:54 am

SimonSideburns wrote:
Wed Mar 04, 2020 11:12 pm
... I tried again a few years back just on the off chance that some old bits and bobs might still be languishing in the back of an old store cupboard, for example, but didn't get much luck then either ...
That has been my experience too when trying to find educational software. :(
- John

spiny

Post by spiny » Thu Mar 05, 2020 8:54 am

I'm quite a way from Sheffield, but my new (to me) Master is from my local college:
bbc05.jpg

I believe they were all being binned many years ago and a friend grabbed a few, and they've been in storage pretty much since then.

I'm still trying to get it to boot if anyone can lend a hand in my other thread :)

Return to “8-bit acorn hardware”