Some of you may remember one of my first posts to the forum where I introduced myself and my Beeb in a Viglen desktop AT case. I've finally decided to put it back into its original case, which is where it rightfully belongs. Unfortunately, this process will require some work, due to the younger me doing things to get it into the PC case without thinking of the consequences.
Here is an updated list of some of the steps required:
- Re-cap the PSU. Luckily I've already had a couple of cap kits.
- Upon gentle removal of the APEX Rom/Ram board (to clean under it), I uncovered the following;
- The end of one of the pins that get pushed into one of the IC sockets from the bottom of the ROM/RAM board was broken. It had been for some time and the board had always just worked, but I have now managed to get it out of the IC Socket (I pried it out with two old scalpel blades - type 11 with a pointed end) and solder it back onto the board. Only time will tell how successful the repair was.
- The 5v and ground points on the Beeb board were all connected together (so they could be connected to the PC AT power supply), and in at least one place the spade connector is absent. Anyone have spares? Also I've just noticed the -5v spade connector is missing too. I'd need 3 spade terminals if anyone has them available. Failing that, I'll solder in some wires and put in in-line crimp connectors.
- The flying leads to the top of the ROM/RAM board were breaking off, so I've taken those off and re-soldered them. It's so easy these days to take a photo on a smartphone and refer to it when reattaching the wires.
- The Beeb board is filthy, thick with dust. I've tried a toothbrush and a paintbrush, and neither seem to be shifting it. Any suggestions on what to try next?
- Try and find screws to hold the motherboard down, the ones for the underside of the power supply, and ones for the keyboard (although I hardly ever have those keyboard ones installed these days)
- I've used a floppy drive connector (34-way IDC connector), removed one row of contact pins (as they weren't needed and then I'd have spares) and used it to repair a keyboard ribbon cable. This is great as I broke the one at ABUG when my Beeb fell off the trolley as I walked in the door on Friday with it. This means I now have two machines and two keyboards that hopefully will be working.
- I had to straighten up a few of the resistors and other components on the Beeb Board. It seems like they were leaning over just a bit too much and could have been very close to touching other components.
Failing that, I could take the spade connectors out completely and solder the wires from the PSU directly to the board with some in-line crimp terminals.