SmallyMouse2 - new firmware release

for bbc micro/electron hardware, peripherals & programming issues (NOT emulators!)
simoni

SmallyMouse2 - new firmware release

Post by simoni » Sat Feb 08, 2020 4:52 pm

There is a new firmware release for SmallyMouse2, release V1.2:

https://github.com/simoninns/SmallyMous ... s/tag/v1.2

This solves some small issues with the emulation (especially when making very small direction change motions with faster machines such as the Archimedes).

You can view the release changes on github if you are interested in the specifics:

https://github.com/simoninns/SmallyMous ... 1.1...v1.2

Note: SmallyMouse2 can be programmed via the USB port using the in-built bootloader (no AVR programmer should be required). See the documentation for details.

aotta

Re: SmallyMouse2 - new firmware release

Post by aotta » Sat Feb 08, 2020 10:33 pm

Good news, thank you Simoni!
I'd like to make a couple of your great SmallyMouse2, but i used to burn IC when soldering that microscopic pins...
Anyway, Jlcpcb offer the soldering service for pcb ordered, but in its store has the AT90USB657 instead of AT90USB1287... from datasheet i didn't found the difference, can it be used as replacement for IC1?

simoni

Post by simoni » Sun Feb 09, 2020 5:30 am

The issue is that you need support for USB in 'host' mode - which (afaik) only the AT90USB1287 provides. On the bright-side, because it's an open project, there are lots of SmallyMouse2 boards for sale on ebay as well as other sites on the web (if you want a preassembled and/or cased one).

aotta

Post by aotta » Sun Feb 09, 2020 10:19 am

simoni wrote:
Sun Feb 09, 2020 5:30 am
The issue is that you need support for USB in 'host' mode - which (afaik) only the AT90USB1287 provides. On the bright-side, because it's an open project, there are lots of SmallyMouse2 boards for sale on ebay as well as other sites on the web (if you want a preassembled and/or cased one).
Thank you for reply Simon, but i don't really need an adapter (i have already different ones, and for the BBC and Archie i used an arduino version i adapted from your smallymouse code, as reported here in some threads ( http://stardot.org.uk/forums/viewtopic. ... no#p208210 ) , it's that i enjoy in making project myself (except for soldering tqfp 64 pin ICs! :lol: ).

About at90usb's differences, looking further to datasheet, it seems that is the 646/1286 versions that miss the host mode:
page 246: "Note: For the Atmel AT90USB646/1286 products the Host mode is not included in the USB controller,
and the ID pin is not used and should be configured and used as a general I/O."

May be i'll give a try, at the moment jlcpcb is out of stock of AT90USB647 too...

simoni

Post by simoni » Sun Feb 09, 2020 10:34 am

Well, it's open-source so clearly you are welcome (and encouraged) to hack and experiment (and I'm interested in the result too). Soldering TQFP64 is actually easier than it looks though; just tack it down with a couple of blobs of bluetack, solder two pins to hold it in place - run solder along all the sides and remove the excess with some solder braid. A quick check with the multimeter for shorts and you're done. The pins are wide enough apart that it's easy to inspect with a loupe, even if you don't have a microscope. Once you've taken the plunge and done one, you'll wonder why you ever thought it was difficult :)

Trouble is, these days, everything is SMT - it took me ages to finally give it a go but, with a bit of practice, you'll be surprised what you can do even with basic soldering kit - the trick is to avoid trying to solder each pin one at a time - I generally use a 2-3mm chisel tip to apply the solder (to avoid dropping too much solder on the pins) and then remove with a much wider tip + braid. Some flux often helps to make the solder flow better (apply to the pads before soldering - and over the pins before using the braid).

Give it a go :)

aotta

Post by aotta » Sun Feb 09, 2020 10:47 am

Exactly! it may seem like a sexist concept, but it is much more pleasant to solder components through-hole! :lol:
Thank you very much for the hits, but my pessimism starts from terrible experience with Hoglet's RGBtoHDMI (another project that I love): I managed to make two cards work, but I burned 3 and I shorted another 6 or 7 ICs, also trying with hot air gun.
And, i must admit, I'm curious to try the JCLpcb service: a card like Smallymouses would cost about ten dollars with all the SMD components already mounted!