Fault Fix Model B Showing 16K

for bbc micro/electron hardware, peripherals & programming issues (NOT emulators!)
ComanderJameson

Fault Fix Model B Showing 16K

Post by ComanderJameson » Wed May 22, 2019 10:02 pm

Hi it's been a while.

I've spent the evening trying to resurect my three Model Bs after the only working one started smoking and crackling. So I recapped all three PSUs which took a while.

After much keyboard and connector swapping, I managed to get my Issue 4 working again without a problem. One PSU is completely dead. One Issue 7 refuses to boot (I suspect a broken track from memory).

The other Issue 7 boots, but is showing 16k (not 32k) otherwise it works fine. I've checked that S25 jumper is North.

Not sure how to proceed from here? Any ideas welcome.
Mostly Harmless

AndyF

Re: Fault Fix Model B Showing 16K

Post by AndyF » Thu May 23, 2019 8:11 am

Would one of the test discs that included a memory test be worthwhile running perhaps ? Possibly a reasonable 'quick and easy' step although I half suspect it might only "try" to test the 16K rather than look further but for the sake of a minute if you can grab a disc its worth doing.

Actually what happens if you try to pick a lower mode that needs more than 16K ? Bad Mode error ?

Code: Select all

10 ON ERROR MODE 7:REPORT:END
20 FOR X=7 TO 0 STEP -1
30 MODE X
40 PRINT '"MODE ";X''
50 FOR A=32 TO 127
60 PRINT CHR$(A);CHR$(32);
70 NEXT A:N=GET:NEXTX:MODE 7
80 STOP
^ That's probably a bit pointless when you could just type MODE2 or something :oops:
Andy

* NEW * The Jetset Willy and Manic Miner community :)

Adventure games ported across to the BBC (in progress) as soon as I can find some time!

ComanderJameson

Post by ComanderJameson » Thu May 23, 2019 9:23 am

Thank AndyF. I get 'Bad Mode' for the lower modes. But mode 4/5 don't show any corruption at all. But I'll give your code a shot this evening.

I did do some further investigation with the S25 jumper:

North: Boots and says 16k, everything works, no corruption at all, keyboard LEDs and all keys work, break key good.

Open: Same as North.

South: Intermittently boots. When it does, it says 16k, keyboard/LEDs working ok. Pressing break repeatedly, occasionally see corruption in characters before it quickly switches into Mode 4 (which is odd), but displays BBC Computer 16K anyway. Pressing break again mostly goes back into mode 7.

I may investigate the motherboard itself and re-seat/swap ICs, but will have to desolder the composite out wires which is a faff.
Mostly Harmless

AndyF

Post by AndyF » Thu May 23, 2019 9:50 am

You're welcome, sorry tis not much help though! :oops:

A test disc would be a good thing maybe as I say, Watford one I think has some memory test on it.

Composite: I ended up once putting a couple of single pins on the board, a bit like the IDC type header pins so I could simply plug/unplug the composite wiring. Not ideal I know!

The 'code' is probably not worth trying really its only a 'each mode 7 down to 0' with a 'show ASCII codes' on each mode + wait for keypress etc between each.
Last edited by AndyF on Thu May 23, 2019 9:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Andy

Adventure games ported across to the BBC (in progress) as soon as I can find some time!

Kazzie

Post by Kazzie » Thu May 23, 2019 11:34 am

ComanderJameson wrote:
Thu May 23, 2019 9:23 am
I did do some further investigation with the S25 jumper:

North: Boots and says 16k, everything works, no corruption at all, keyboard LEDs and all keys work, break key good.

Open: Same as North.

South: Intermittently boots. When it does, it says 16k, keyboard/LEDs working ok. Pressing break repeatedly, occasionally see corruption in characters before it quickly switches into Mode 4 (which is odd), but displays BBC Computer 16K anyway. Pressing break again mostly goes back into mode 7.

I may investigate the motherboard itself and re-seat/swap ICs, but will have to desolder the composite out wires which is a faff.
This behaviour of S25 might be a RAM fault. If you are able to wire up and inverter to S25 I suspect your machine would report 32k RAM, but with corruption onscreen. Here's my reasoning:

The way the Beeb detects how much RAM it has (in software) is by incrementing a counter as it clears the RAM on a hard reset. This happend early on in the boot sequence:

Code: Select all

.LD9E7 

\********** clear memory routine ******************************************

LDX #&04            :\ get page to start clearance from (4)
STX &01             :\ store it in ZP 01
STA &00             :\ store A at 00

TAY                 :\ and in Y to set loop counter
.LD9EE 

STA (&00),Y         :\ clear store
CMP &01             :\ until address &01 =0
BEQ LD9FD           :\ 
INY                 :\ increment pointer
BNE LD9EE           :\ if not zero loop round again
INY                 :\ else increment again (Y=1) this avoids overwriting
                    \;RTI instruction at &D00
INX                 :\ increment X
INC &01             :\ increment &01
BPL LD9EE           :\ loop until A=&80 then exit
.LD9FD 
                    \;note that RAM addressing for 16k loops around so
                    \;&4000=&00 hence checking &01 for 00.  This avoids
                    \;overwriting zero page on BREAK

STX &028E           :\ writes marker for available RAM 40 =16k,80=32
OPT FNif(VALversion$>=1.20)
  STX &0284         :\ write soft key consistency flag
OPT FNendif
The value written to address &028E (and &0284) will be &40 for a 16k machine, or &80 or a 32k machine. When S25 is North, the value &80 should be written, but if a RAM fault is causing it to be written (or read) as &40, then the Beeb would assume it only had 16k fitted.

If your Beeb behaves as I think with S25 inverted, then we should be able to identify which bits of RAM are faulty from the display corruption that is shown.
BBC Model B 32k issue 7, Sidewise ROM board with 16K RAM
Archimedes 420/1 upgraded to 4MB RAM, ZIDEFS with 512MB CF card
Acorn System 1 home-made replica

ComanderJameson

Post by ComanderJameson » Thu May 23, 2019 5:59 pm

Thanks again both for your help.

The lack of memory corruption was puzzling me. I did a quick memory test and found that address &1800 was being mirrored at &5800! So it had to be address decode logic or some sort. So I took the plunge and desoldered the composite out.

Once I looked at the underside of the of the motherboard, I immediately saw that IC28 had been removed at some point, that explains everything (I hope)! Serves me right for buying things on ebay.

I think a visit to my favourite electronics supplier is in hand.

Now to get my last dead Beeb working, but that's another project.
Mostly Harmless

AndyF

Post by AndyF » Thu May 23, 2019 6:34 pm

Good to read there's been some progress. :) :)

I'm sure it will all be 'as expected' soon.

So true regarding the purchase, same as most things I suppose you could find anything! :D

I found a most bizarre transistor/cap arrangement "floating about" on an Oric-Atmos around the modulator input area that "someone" had thoughtfully (un-thoughtfully?) added, not really sure why , it did not work anyway! :lol: I must get around to sorting that out actually. :oops:
Last edited by AndyF on Thu May 23, 2019 6:36 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Andy

ComanderJameson

Post by ComanderJameson » Thu May 23, 2019 7:04 pm

Oric Atmos, is that a rare beast?

I have loads of little projects I start but never finish. I did half build a Pascal 6502 compiler, but that's languishing! Software's where it's at, but it's good to get my hands dirty with spit and solder.

I am starting to think that the random Apex board I have (looks like some sort of ROM/RAM type expansion) is related to the lack of IC28.

I'll have to post up a picture of it once I can find a way to do it. Maybe in a different thread for that.
Mostly Harmless

AndyF

Post by AndyF » Thu May 23, 2019 11:10 pm

Nearest (ish) equivalent I can really think of is a 48K 6502 based (instead of Z80) Speccy, but with a keyboard instead of a membrane rubber mat. Its half decent to type on. Brief info here

There are some slightly odd things with it (generally I think not just mine) but decent-ish selection of software if you hunt. A great shame I think it arrived too late "to the party" as such back in the early 80's oh well.

Anyway something for another topic perhaps, I do want to talk about it at a point though. :)

Back on topic have you checked via Google or here for any info on the Apex board ? I'm thinking here of some kind of fitting instructions where perhaps like some of the rom/ram type boards they say to remove IC xyz and place it into said 'new' board etc. Just a thought. :)
Last edited by AndyF on Thu May 23, 2019 11:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Andy