B+ DFS & ADFS versions for PAGE E00

discuss both original and modern hardware for the bbc micro/electron
rmbrowngr

B+ DFS & ADFS versions for PAGE E00

Post by rmbrowngr »

I'm trying to work out which are the correct versions of Acorn DFS & ADFS for the B+ to have PAGE at E00. I'm looking at this page http://mdfs.net/System/ROMs/Filing/Disk/Acorn/. I believe the correct version for ADFS is 1.31 (ADFS131E00). For DFS I know the last version is 2.26 (which I have) and includes SWRAM utils.

I see that some people have both DFS and ADFS installed on their machines. Do both of them sit happily together and what happens to PAGE?

For ADFS131EOO, how do you set this up to work correctly? Does it only work loaded into SWRAM, or can you put it in an EPROM and it will use SWRAM for its work space?

Finally, I believe that ADFS131E00 supports SCSI hard disks, so I guess I can add a BeebSCSI. :D
Last edited by rmbrowngr on Tue May 21, 2019 5:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Richard B
Acorn Electrons issue 4 and 6, MRB, Plus 1, AP6, AP5, Pegasus 400, BeebSCSI, Gotek, Raspberry Pi, GoSDC MBE.
BBC B+ 64K (128K upgraded) with Duel OS, Raspberry Pi and Gotek.
RobC

Re: B+ DFS & ADFS versions for PAGE E00

Post by RobC »

rmbrowngr wrote:
Tue May 21, 2019 5:09 pm
I see that some people have both DFS and ADFS installed on their machines. Do both of them sit happily together and what happens to PAGE?

For ADFS131EOO, how do you set this up to work correctly? Does it only work loaded into SWRAM, or can you put it in an EPROM and it will use SWRAM for its work space?
They both need to be installed in SWRAM as they use the space above their rom code as workspace. PAGE then remains at &E00 but you get DFS and ADFS in the machine. I use a DS1230Y 32KB NVRAM to hold them both so that they're available on power-up - that way, they're semi-permanently in SWRAM.
rmbrowngr wrote:
Tue May 21, 2019 5:09 pm
Finally, I believe that ADFS131E00 supports SCSI hard disks, so I guess I can add a BeebSCSI.
Yes - I've had this working with a real SCSI hard drive so no reason to think it won't work with a BeebSCSI.
cmorley

Post by cmorley »

It does work with BeebSCSI but there is a downside. A bunch of commands are missing like *DESTROY and there is no help. So I end up using ADFS 1.30 a lot of the time anyway.
rmbrowngr

Post by rmbrowngr »

Coming back to this afternoon some time. I suppose you can combine rom and ram with some address decoding on a single board to get page at E00 and not load ADFS or DFS in SW RAM each time you boot?

Also B+ sockets being configurable as 32k you could have both ADFS and DFS on a single plugin board I guess?
Richard B
Acorn Electrons issue 4 and 6, MRB, Plus 1, AP6, AP5, Pegasus 400, BeebSCSI, Gotek, Raspberry Pi, GoSDC MBE.
BBC B+ 64K (128K upgraded) with Duel OS, Raspberry Pi and Gotek.

Return to “8-bit acorn hardware”