USB / SD / CF - best solution for games?

discuss both original and modern hardware for the bbc micro/electron
Muddyfunster

USB / SD / CF - best solution for games?

Post by Muddyfunster »

Hi all,

Currently I have a few ssd images sitting on a mini-usb stick that I access via my datacenter. I recently also added a CF card via my Datacenter in my Master.

I often see videos on YouTube of folks using their BBCs with menus that have pages and pages of games. I think these are mostly folks that have an SD type card like the MicroSPI (using an MMB file?)

My question is:

Is it possible to get something like that on my CF card? or have I gone down the wrong path and would an SD / MicroSPI type interface be a better solution. The card that came with the interface that plugged into the Datacentre has software on already, but i'd like to add more, ideally a menu for more games. I have no problem trying to figure things out but I'm a bit out of my depth and would appreciate any pointers from the more knowledgeable folks.

If I added a MicroSPi / SD type interface and the relevant ROM, would I run into problems as I already have an extra ROM installed for the Datacentre.

Sorry if i've completely massacred the terminology or got most of that backwards :) , I'm still learning about beebs.

thanks for any help or pointers.
danielj

Re: USB / SD / CF - best solution for games?

Post by danielj »

There was a version of the STH menu that was built for the datacentre that mimics the MMC menu:

http://home.kindredintellect.com/beeb/Software/DCBeeb/

If you want complete compatibility, using one of the goteks with flashfloppy means that you're using native DFS with the master - that won't clash with anything and so far as the master is concerned, it's just a normal floppy disc. You can pick one up for £12 on ebay, flash the firmware with flashfloppy and then use tricky's menu with that:

viewtopic.php?t=16070#p222019

I'd try the DCBeeb option first as that involves no outlay, but if you were going to chose one of the other options in the long-term, I think you'll probably find the gotek more useful...
Muddyfunster

Post by Muddyfunster »

Thanks Danielj,

looks like I have some reading to do :)
rharper

Post by rharper »

If you just want to play games the prebuilt menus are the way to go.
But if you want to get more into/out of the machine and what it can do I find its great fun to write my own menus.
Ray :)
Raycomp
Muddyfunster

Post by Muddyfunster »

Thanks again Danielj, that's a great guide. In the end I put the game repository on my USB and have the menu boot from the NV RAM drive (4).

And yes Ray, I completely agree, I'm not that advanced yet though :)

Return to “8-bit acorn hardware”