Useful Electron ROMs?

for bbc micro/electron hardware, peripherals & programming issues (NOT emulators!)
Ramtop

Useful Electron ROMs?

Post by Ramtop » Tue May 07, 2019 10:00 pm

Hi All,

I'm just finishing work on Yet Another Electron SD Card Interface (YAESDCI - I should trademark that :D ) and am looking inspiration on what to load into a spare SWROM slot. The card has 2x16K sideways pages of flash and 2x16K of SWRAM. ZEMMFS uses up one of the flash pages, so one is free.

I'd originally intended to leave the flash page empty as there will be a tool available to flash in whatever ROM image the user wants, but it strikes me that's probably a bit lazy. I've been using the AP6/Plus1 ROM during development, but I'm interested to hear of anything better to put in there.
Gary

tom_seddon

Re: Useful Electron ROMs?

Post by tom_seddon » Wed May 08, 2019 1:42 am

You could use JGH's relocatable modules system to create a ROM bank that's effectively got multiple ROMs in it: http://mdfs.net/Software/BBC/Modules/ - or, if (like me) you prefer to work on the PC, you can use my smload_join Python script to do the merging. Either way, this gives you the option of squeezing in a bit more useful stuff per ROM bank...

I use this to create a BeebLink/Tube host/startup ROM image for use with my BBC B.

--Tom
Last edited by tom_seddon on Wed May 08, 2019 1:45 am, edited 2 times in total.

daveejhitchins

Post by daveejhitchins » Wed May 08, 2019 5:47 am

Why not just load the MMB file with all the Electron ROMs you can find and go with: Let the user choose what they want to load?

This was the idea for the ASR/ABR BITD!

Dave H :D
Parts: UM6502CE, GAL22V10D, GAL16V8D, AS6C62256A, TC514400AZ, WD1772, R6522, TMS27C512, AT28C256
Products: ARA II, ARA III, ABR, ATI, AP6, MGC, AP5 . . .
For a price list, contact me at: Retro Hardware AT dave ej hitchins DOT plus DOT com

CMcDougall

Post by CMcDougall » Wed May 08, 2019 5:58 pm

all machines need Advanced Disc Toolkit ROM, great for comparing files /check memory locations / moving stuff down to &E00 8)
ImageImageImage

AndyF

Post by AndyF » Wed May 08, 2019 6:08 pm

CMcDougall wrote:
Wed May 08, 2019 5:58 pm
all machines need Advanced Disc Toolkit ROM, great for comparing files /check memory locations / moving stuff down to &E00 8)
I was going to mention that but I was slightly confused by the versioning of it, I can't remember off hand (can't check now) if its a v1.x for the Electron and 'B and v2.x for the Masters. I think v2 will work OK on the 'B though so it may work on the 'Elk. Unless I'm thinking of something else like ADFS utils versions. :oops:

I think I used ADT to help me easily move files between tape/disc actually at one point, on a real machine.
Last edited by AndyF on Wed May 08, 2019 6:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Andy

* NEW * The Jetset Willy and Manic Miner community :)

Adventure games ported across to the BBC (in progress) as soon as I can find some time!

CMcDougall

Post by CMcDougall » Wed May 08, 2019 6:32 pm

^ all versions work on beeb /elk / b+ / M128 / compact 8)

so any version will do, but V2.00 is the latest, I had 1.78 BITD
ImageImageImage

Ramtop

Post by Ramtop » Wed May 08, 2019 6:45 pm

tom_seddon wrote:
Wed May 08, 2019 1:42 am
You could use JGH's relocatable modules system to create a ROM bank that's effectively got multiple ROMs in it:
That's a darn good idea actually, as my ideal ROM needs to have a pile of only vaguely related stuff in it.
daveejhitchins wrote:Why not just load the MMB file with all the Electron ROMs you can find and go with: Let the user choose what they want to load?
That was my initial thought, and still a possible option. But I've come round to the idea of having a default ROM that I can document and provide assistance with if needed. Still, I'll probably provide a disk image with ROMs in it simply because I've got to do one for the flash tools anyway.

Thanks for the ideas everyone, I'll experiment and report back :)
Gary