Master ROM - what does it do?

for bbc micro/electron hardware, peripherals & programming issues (NOT emulators!)
Aaron76

Master ROM - what does it do?

Post by Aaron76 » Mon Apr 22, 2019 4:28 pm

Hi there,
I wonder if anybody can shed any light on a ROM I've found in one of my old machines. It's labelled as the 'Master ROM', with a blue background and white text. Does anybody know what special options it provides over the standard Acorn stuff?

I have no working Master machines at the minute due to PSU capacitors blowing up, so curious what it is! Any information most welcome!

Cheers,

Aaron

AndyF

Re: Master ROM - what does it do?

Post by AndyF » Mon Apr 22, 2019 8:35 pm

I could be wrong but I have a vague recollection of seeing a W.E advert for a 'Master Rom' , it was if (again not sure!) a controller ROM to allow you to enable/disable other roms on a 'B , a bit like an *UNPLUG effect I suppose amongst some other features.

I'm not 100% sure if it was this one I was thinking of or not though > http://classicacorn.computinghistory.or ... board.html

EDIT... Correct link would be helpful!

Then again I keep thinking Morley but it may of been Watford, but I think Morley was more likely. :-k
Last edited by AndyF on Mon Apr 22, 2019 8:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Andy

* NEW * The Jetset Willy and Manic Miner community :)

Adventure games ported across to the BBC (in progress) as soon as I can find some time!

KenLowe

Post by KenLowe » Mon Apr 22, 2019 8:57 pm

The Master ROM that I have is a PALPROM device that sits in a carrier board, and was published by Beebbugsoft. I've not really used it, but having just plugged it in I can see that there are a lot of utility commands, which I guess attempts to emulate some of the additional functions that are standard on the Master.

Edit: http://www.8bs.com/othrdnld/manuals/app ... M_View.zip
Last edited by KenLowe on Mon Apr 22, 2019 9:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lurkio

Post by lurkio » Mon Apr 22, 2019 9:01 pm

Found this review of the Beebug Master ROM:

Page 165, object 536 (X).jpg

DutchAcorn

Post by DutchAcorn » Tue Apr 23, 2019 10:16 am

I made a quick scan of the user guide. You can download it from my dropbox using this link.
Paul

SpaceFlightOrange

Post by SpaceFlightOrange » Wed Apr 24, 2019 5:33 pm

KenLowe wrote:
Mon Apr 22, 2019 8:57 pm
The Master ROM that I have is a PALPROM device that sits in a carrier board, and was published by Beebbugsoft. I've not really used it, but having just plugged it in I can see that there are a lot of utility commands, which I guess attempts to emulate some of the additional functions that are standard on the Master.

Edit: http://www.8bs.com/othrdnld/manuals/app ... M_View.zip
I have one I found on an old floppy called the Master Emulation Rom (MER) not sure who its by, i'll have a look when i get home. It's as you mention, provides commands (like srload) that were only available on the Master.
James

BBC Model A Issue 3 (Upgraded to Model B, had it since I was a kid), Opus Dual 40/80 FDD, Watford Mouse, Voltmace delta 14/B, Gotek, IFEL ROMRAM-B4, Pi-Zero CoPro

Master 128, VideoNuLA, Gotek

SpaceFlightOrange

Post by SpaceFlightOrange » Wed Apr 24, 2019 5:36 pm

I found another one the other day called MAX (the beebug master rom reminded me of it) it provides a control panel (think of the control panel program on the Master Welcome disk) but it's AMX styled and uses the mouse.

Pretty cool, at least it would be if the tracking wasn't so slow!!, and that's one of the things you can't change!!
James

BBC Model A Issue 3 (Upgraded to Model B, had it since I was a kid), Opus Dual 40/80 FDD, Watford Mouse, Voltmace delta 14/B, Gotek, IFEL ROMRAM-B4, Pi-Zero CoPro

Master 128, VideoNuLA, Gotek

Aaron76

Post by Aaron76 » Mon Apr 29, 2019 9:37 pm

Thanks everyone! Great support, many thanks :) I'll go investigate it further!