Dirty floppy disks

for bbc micro/electron hardware, peripherals & programming issues (NOT emulators!)
steve30

Dirty floppy disks

Post by steve30 » Sat Apr 13, 2019 7:24 pm

I just bought some 5.25" disks on ebay (new old stock).

All but about 5 of them are a bit dirty. I don't know how they've been stored. They do smell a bit 'fusty'. Here is a photo of one of the dirty Dysan disks:
disk_dirt.JPG
Will these clean up OK? As they are blank, there is no data to recover from them, and I don't expect to use them for anything important, but still, I like my floppies to have some reliability :).

As an aside, I just did a search on the forum and found there is a user here called steve3000. This is just a heads up that we aren't related :D.

danielj

Re: Dirty floppy disks

Post by danielj » Sat Apr 13, 2019 8:21 pm

Disk mould - you can clean it off with IPA and a cotton bud so it doesn't clog your drive, but it tends to mean that the disk is not going to be too reliable.

Rod C

Post by Rod C » Sat Apr 13, 2019 10:08 pm

I have quite a few disks like that and any time I have tried to read one the drive head scraped onto the surface with a nasty screeching sound and picked up the gunk. Even worse, it would destroy the next disk I used unless I cleaned the head with IPA.

SpaceFlightOrange

Post by SpaceFlightOrange » Sat Apr 13, 2019 10:11 pm

I had a bad episode cleaning a mouldy disk with a cotton bud an IPA. it rendered the disk unusable. you have to be very gentle.

I had a load of mouldy disks which enabled me to justify buying a floppy cleaner, which is basically a 3d printed frame that holds the disk and a handle that fastens to the middle of the disk so you can turn it. use IPA on a microfibre cloth and turn the disk 3 or 4 times (depending on how dirty it is).

It worked wonders, a few of the disks had a couple of corrupt tracks but i was able to recover most of the contents.

Of course, if you have a 3d printer, you could just print your own.

https://www.floppycleaner.co.uk
James

BBC Model A Issue 3 (Upgraded to Model B, had it since I was a kid), Opus Dual 40/80 FDD, Watford Mouse, Voltmace delta 14/B, Gotek, IFEL ROMRAM-B4, Pi-Zero CoPro

Master 128, VideoNuLA, Gotek

lcww1

Post by lcww1 » Sat Apr 13, 2019 10:17 pm

I've had good results with floppy disc cleaning frames, with both 5.25" and 3.5" discs - there's a link to a video showing the technique in this thread: viewtopic.php?f=16&t=15218

steve30

Post by steve30 » Sun Apr 14, 2019 5:59 am

I just took one of the disks out of its housing. This one is a Tandy brand disk.

I gave one side a wipe with isopropyl alcohol and it cleaned up nicely. It'll be interesting to see how well this cleaned disk will work.

For the record, I took one of the already-clean Dysan disks and it worked fine.
Attachments
disk_dirt_3.JPG
disk_dirt_2.JPG