Beeb 1MHz Bus FPGA Adaptor

for bbc micro/electron hardware, peripherals & programming issues (NOT emulators!)
anightin

Re: Beeb 1MHz Bus FPGA Adaptor

Post by anightin » Wed Aug 28, 2019 9:14 pm

PSU recapped, and glitching screen sorted: :roll:
IMG_4723.jpeg
IMG_4669.jpeg

I actually then got round to trying out the 1MHz Bus FPGA Adaptor, which worked first time thanks to the excellent build and test notes: :D :D
IMG_4724.jpeg

Having too much fun tonight running the Music 5000+4000 KB (thanks to Hideout studios for the MIDI I/F) to try the other tests:
IMG_4725.jpeg
However, looking forward to trying the fractal demo and running my new '3rd ATOM' albeit in FPGA form.

Learning a lot thanks to this great forum and its brilliant members :D =D>
Last edited by anightin on Wed Aug 28, 2019 9:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

anightin

Post by anightin » Sat Sep 14, 2019 8:07 pm

Have been away on business but got to plug together Hoglet's ATOM project tonight whilst waiting for the washing machine to finish :D
IMG_4800.jpeg
I love the way the ATOM boot screen just appeared as soon as the FPGA programming had finished :)

Thanks for the notes on this Dave, all just worked first time so nothing to debug! :lol:

Ironically one of my ATOMs has just got sick so will probably spend the time I might have spent on this on fixing the real thing :)

I was tapping along to 'Monty on the Run' on my ATOM SID 1.8 board and the screen decided to intermittently stop syncing with the HDMI converter on PL8.

I'll probably re-cap it and replace the crystals then see if that makes any difference.
Last edited by anightin on Sat Sep 14, 2019 8:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Budgie

Post by Budgie » Wed Sep 18, 2019 7:52 pm

I too have finally got round to building mine. Really useful board. Thank you Dave for creating this. Great for standalone use and for interfacing to the Beeb and Master.

Thanks to the Wiki and Dave's comprehensive instructions all was very easy to build !

In terms of the SID in the ATOM is this exactly the same sound as the Commodore 64/FPGASID ?

BBC1MhzFPGA-Pic2.jpg
BBC1MhzFPGA-Pic1 (2).jpg
BBC1MhzFPGA-Pic3 (2).jpg

Thanks

Andy

hoglet

Post by hoglet » Wed Sep 18, 2019 8:43 pm

Budgie wrote:
Wed Sep 18, 2019 7:52 pm
In terms of the SID in the ATOM is this exactly the same sound as the Commodore 64/FPGASID ?
I have a Beeb SID with a real SID chip and it sounded very close to my untrained ear.

The VHDL I'm using for the SID is called "NetSID" written by Alex:
http://papilio.cc/index.php?n=Playground.C64SID

FPGASid is a closed source project, so it's a bit hard to compare...

Dave

Elminster

Post by Elminster » Wed Sep 18, 2019 8:49 pm

Is this the SID in the ATOM FPGA, is there some thoughts it doesn't sound like the real one?

I do have all the extra bits, apart from the need to pick up yet another sdcard, to turn my 1Mhz into the ATOM. And I have 2 BeebSID one with real sid and one with SwinSID. I certainly can't tell the difference between the BeebSID with SwinSID and real SID.

Budgie

Post by Budgie » Wed Sep 18, 2019 9:19 pm

Elminster wrote:
Wed Sep 18, 2019 8:49 pm
Is this the SID in the ATOM FPGA, is there some thoughts it doesn't sound like the real one?

No purely curious on how accurate it is to the original. This is the first time I have ever played anything from the BeebSID

anightin

Post by anightin » Wed Sep 18, 2019 9:29 pm

anightin wrote:
Sat Sep 14, 2019 8:07 pm
I'll probably re-cap it and replace the crystals then see if that makes any difference.
Just a quick note to say the real ATOM is now well again after recap and new crystals — seems a lot more stable and got about 3 hours of continuous use with its new components.

Now back to the thread ...

The Music 5000 works great on the Beeb Adapter, does anyone know if there is a Music 3000 in FPGA that could be combined with the Music 5000 FPGA?
Last edited by anightin on Wed Sep 18, 2019 9:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

anightin

Post by anightin » Wed Sep 18, 2019 9:33 pm

Budgie wrote:
Wed Sep 18, 2019 9:19 pm
No purely curious on how accurate it is to the original. This is the first time I have ever played anything from the BeebSID
There seem to be lots of comparisons out there ...
http://kompjut0r.blogspot.com/2018/04/ ... imate.html

http://kompjut0r.blogspot.com/2019/01/f ... d6581.html
Last edited by anightin on Wed Sep 18, 2019 9:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hoglet

Post by hoglet » Wed Sep 18, 2019 9:50 pm

anightin wrote:
Wed Sep 18, 2019 9:29 pm
The Music 5000 works great on the Beeb Adapter, does anyone know if there is a Music 3000 in FPGA that could be combined with the Music 5000 FPGA?
The Beeb Adapter already include both a 3000 and a 5000.

You just need the right Ample software.

Dave

anightin

Post by anightin » Wed Sep 18, 2019 10:12 pm

hoglet wrote:
Wed Sep 18, 2019 9:50 pm

You just need the right Ample software.
Ah, good to know thanks Dave

Elminster

Post by Elminster » Mon Sep 23, 2019 8:59 am

I don't have a keyboard connector to hand at the moment 9forgot to order one). I have everything else to turn 1MHz into an ATOM. I could probably fudge something but was just wondering if I could just boot it without the keyboard, or is it going to be like a Beeb without the keyboard and just not start?

hoglet

Post by hoglet » Mon Sep 23, 2019 9:25 am

Elminster wrote:
Mon Sep 23, 2019 8:59 am
I don't have a keyboard connector to hand at the moment 9forgot to order one). I have everything else to turn 1MHz into an ATOM. I could probably fudge something but was just wondering if I could just boot it without the keyboard, or is it going to be like a Beeb without the keyboard and just not start?
It should start normally without the PS/2 keyboard connected.
Last edited by hoglet on Mon Sep 23, 2019 9:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

Elminster

Post by Elminster » Mon Sep 23, 2019 12:44 pm

hoglet wrote:
Mon Sep 23, 2019 9:25 am
Elminster wrote:
Mon Sep 23, 2019 8:59 am
It should start normally without the PS/2 keyboard connected.
Thanks. Sounds like a plan then.

Elminster

Post by Elminster » Mon Sep 23, 2019 10:41 pm

Yes that worked.

Then remembered I have a ps/2 Pmod and wired it up. Along with the laptop vga and sound to hdmi adaptor I have for laptop and had bad apple through the tv. I will add a picture of temporary set tomorrow.

If you do a future revision of the board would you look to find space to make the single Pmod a double? Could then (if you wanted) slot in a ps/2 Pmod or another double Pmod if do some other project.

hoglet

Post by hoglet » Tue Sep 24, 2019 6:11 am

Elminster wrote:
Mon Sep 23, 2019 10:41 pm
If you do a future revision of the board would you look to find space to make the single Pmod a double? Could then (if you wanted) slot in a ps/2 Pmod or another double Pmod if do some other project.
It's not space that's the limiting factor, it's available I/Os from the FPGA. They are all in use.

Dave
Last edited by hoglet on Tue Sep 24, 2019 6:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

Elminster

Post by Elminster » Tue Sep 24, 2019 8:42 am

hoglet wrote:
Tue Sep 24, 2019 6:11 am
Elminster wrote:
Mon Sep 23, 2019 10:41 pm
It's not space that's the limiting factor, it's available I/Os from the FPGA. They are all in use.

Dave
Ah. Could you have a pmod that you could have enabled or disable depending on if using the 1MHz connector?

Rather than solder anything on to the VGA PMOD I have used the header pins you put in place for 1.7 and 1.6. Is there any reason you have 2 x 0v there. And not say one 0V and one 3.3V, it would have made hooking up the keyboard tidy.

Attached is the proof of entry into ATOM FPGA club
Attachments
IMG_5585.png
IMG_5587.png

hoglet

Post by hoglet » Tue Sep 24, 2019 10:32 am

Elminster wrote:
Tue Sep 24, 2019 8:42 am
Ah. Could you have a pmod that you could have enabled or disable depending on if using the 1MHz connector?
You could, but you would probably have to unplug the level shifter IC that shared the same signals.

It would be very easy to forget to do this!
Elminster wrote:
Rather than solder anything on to the VGA PMOD I have used the header pins you put in place for 1.7 and 1.6. Is there any reason you have 2 x 0v there. And not say one 0V and one 3.3V, it would have made hooking up the keyboard tidy.
That's really a mistake on my part, which I only reallized when I actually came to connect a keyboard. #-o

If I end up doing a spin on the boards I will change this.

Dave

Elminster

Post by Elminster » Tue Sep 24, 2019 12:36 pm

hoglet wrote:
Tue Sep 24, 2019 10:32 am
Elminster wrote:
You could, but you would probably have to unplug the level shifter IC that shared the same signals.

It would be very easy to forget to do this!
I guess so, probably depends on if the majority will hook to a Beeb or use standalone. I guess the latter.
Elminster wrote:
That's really a mistake on my part, which I only reallized when I actually came to connect a keyboard. #-o

If I end up doing a spin on the boards I will change this.
Ah, I did wonder.

Overall the process of making the 1Mhz an ATOM was pretty easy to do. Worked the first time which is rare for me!

Elminster

Post by Elminster » Fri Sep 27, 2019 8:40 pm

Rather than a SPI DAC could you have used a 12C DAC? Just wondered because that would free up 2 pins on PMOD2, and then you could squeeze a ps/2 pmod (which has 2 n/c pins) into the the spare half of pmod2.

aotta

Post by aotta » Sat Feb 15, 2020 11:29 am

i am testing this great adaptor, working fine for Mandelbrot and started Atom emulator, too!
I got ps2 keyboard working, but can't read sdcard until now.. can someone report the pmod2 pin assignemet to Miso, Mosi, sck and cs?
i tried to read the vhd source, but i didn't understand the pinout...

hoglet

Post by hoglet » Sat Feb 15, 2020 12:33 pm

aotta wrote:
Sat Feb 15, 2020 11:29 am
i am testing this great adaptor, working fine for Mandelbrot and started Atom emulator, too!
I got ps2 keyboard working, but can't read sdcard until now.. can someone report the pmod2 pin assignemet to Miso, Mosi, sck and cs?
i tried to read the vhd source, but i didn't understand the pinout...
The SD Card connections are listed on the wiki page for this project:
https://github.com/hoglet67/Beeb1MHzBus ... -Atom-Fpga

aotta

Post by aotta » Sat Feb 15, 2020 1:04 pm

hoglet wrote:
Sat Feb 15, 2020 12:33 pm

The SD Card connections are listed on the wiki page for this project:
https://github.com/hoglet67/Beeb1MHzBus ... -Atom-Fpga
The wiki page! how i could miss it?? :lol:
Thank you hoglet!

aotta

Post by aotta » Sat Feb 15, 2020 6:03 pm

I need some help again... AtomFPGA runs fine, but something wrong when adaptor connected to the Micro:
- With Music5000, Micro doesn't boot. It boot only with IRQ jumper not fitted, but no Owl logo in this way, of course;
- with Mandel programmed, it boot but "Mandel3" doesn't interact with vga screen, and the graphics doesn't change.
I didn't yet fitted the MCP4822, waiting for it, but from schematics i think it's only needed to get sound output.

May be some bad soldered point? any suggestion for debug the board it's welcome

hoglet

Post by hoglet » Sat Feb 15, 2020 8:50 pm

aotta wrote:
Sat Feb 15, 2020 6:03 pm
I need some help again... AtomFPGA runs fine, but something wrong when adaptor connected to the Micro:
- With Music5000, Micro doesn't boot. It boot only with IRQ jumper not fitted, but no Owl logo in this way, of course;
- with Mandel programmed, it boot but "Mandel3" doesn't interact with vga screen, and the graphics doesn't change.
Has the 1MHz Bus connector on the Beeb been used much?

If not, try plugging/unplugging the cable about 20 times.

Sometimes the connector pins tarnish over time, and make a poor connection.

Dave

aotta

Post by aotta » Sat Feb 15, 2020 10:16 pm

Thank you Dave, resoldering a couple of connector's pin and reinserting the cable a few times did the trick!
Now beeb boots and Mandel3 works, but it often hangs and the owl logo appear only for a second when resetting, then disappears..
sometimes, while resetting, the screen shows the Owl and beeb freeze.
But i think it's becouse of Integra-B, since i use that board it freezes sometimes... tomorrow i'll give a try with my others micros

KenLowe

Post by KenLowe » Sun Feb 16, 2020 9:29 am

aotta wrote:
Sat Feb 15, 2020 10:16 pm
But i think it's becouse of Integra-B, since i use that board it freezes sometimes... tomorrow i'll give a try with my others micros
Your IntegraB shouldn't be causing your computer to freeze. This will give me the motivation to build up my 1MHz Bus FPGA Adaptor, just to confirm it works with the IntegraB, but there really isn't anything that should prevent it.
If you're still having issues with your IntegraB board, then the offer of a replacement still stands! Perhaps take this to PM, or a different thread.

aotta

Post by aotta » Sun Feb 16, 2020 9:59 am

KenLowe wrote:
Sun Feb 16, 2020 9:29 am
aotta wrote:
Sat Feb 15, 2020 10:16 pm
Your IntegraB shouldn't be causing your computer to freeze. This will give me the motivation to build up my 1MHz Bus FPGA Adaptor, just to confirm it works with the IntegraB, but there really isn't anything that should prevent it.
If you're still having issues with your IntegraB board, then the offer of a replacement still stands! Perhaps take this to PM, or a different thread.
Thank you Ken, in fact i am afraid i have some trouble with my IntegraB (even without FPGA Adaptor connected to 1mhz port), i'll make further test and in case i'll pm you

KenLowe

Post by KenLowe » Sun Feb 16, 2020 8:32 pm

Hi Dave...

Picking up on the comment about the possible incompatibility with the IntegraB board, I dug out my 1MHz Bus FPGA Adaptor board today with a view to ordering up all the necessary components to test this out. However, I notice that the ebay seller no longer stocks the Xilinx FPGA Spartan 6 XC6SLX9 Core Board that you recommend and I can't find anyone else selling the same board. There are some similar boards, but I'm not sure if they would be suitable. Any recommendations for an alternative?

In the interim, is it possible to get the owl logo code to work with the RPi based 1MHz interface? If so, could you give me some pointers?

Thanks
Ken.

hoglet

Post by hoglet » Sun Feb 16, 2020 8:55 pm

KenLowe wrote:
Sun Feb 16, 2020 8:32 pm
However, I notice that the ebay seller no longer stocks the Xilinx FPGA Spartan 6 XC6SLX9 Core Board that you recommend and I can't find anyone else selling the same board.
There have been short periods over the last year where they have not been available. I think they make them up as required in small batches.

I would suggest you contact the vendor eepizza and ask if they are expected back in stock soon.

Here's a direct link to the product:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Xilinx-FPGA- ... 1640406811

Dave

Ramtop

Post by Ramtop » Sun Feb 16, 2020 10:47 pm

I suspect they may have some trouble sourcing new stock as getting multi-layer PCBs made in China is basically impossible right now, all the major PCB fabs are either closed, limiting production to 2 layer boards only, or tentatively quoting 30-60 day lead times. Assembly services are also, from what I hear, either closed or operating at very reduced capacity.

Lots of the cheap electronics we like to buy from EBay are probably going away for a while.
Gary