VideoNuLA survey

for bbc micro/electron hardware, peripherals & programming issues (NOT emulators!)

What other hardware is connected to your VideoNuLA enabled computer?

Sideways Ram (including master!)
15%
Datacentre
12%
MMC / SD Card Reader
8%
Gotek
7%
Hard Disk
8%
Speech Chips
3%
Shadow Ram (including master!)
11%
Matchbox copro
4%
PI copro
13%
Original copro (state cpu in thread)
4%
Beebscsi mini
4%
Econet
6%
Beebsid
4%
Beebopl
2%

Total votes: 144

sydney

VideoNuLA survey

Post by sydney » Mon Mar 04, 2019 7:20 pm

Hi everyone. This is a poll to see what other hardware VideoNuLA owners have. It would also be useful if you could state in the thread whether the VideoNuLA is in a beeb/master/compact. This will hopefully help me and others decide what hardware should be supported when writing games.
Last edited by sydney on Mon Mar 04, 2019 7:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.

sydney

Re: VideoNuLA survey

Post by sydney » Mon Mar 04, 2019 7:23 pm

Mine is in a master so has sideways ram and shadow ram. It also has a gotek and I'm going to add a beebscsi mini and pi copro.
Last edited by sydney on Mon Mar 04, 2019 7:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

paulv

Post by paulv » Mon Mar 04, 2019 7:30 pm

Mine will be in my master with a Pi co-pro internally and an external datacenter, but I've also got a beebscsi mini which I could use with the master.

It's also got Econet and I'm planning on updating my drive/monitor bridge with a gotek.

The plan for the bridge is to fit an internal datacenter in addition to a beebsid and beebopl card with a suitably uprated psu.

Paul

sydney

Post by sydney » Mon Mar 04, 2019 7:37 pm

paulv wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2019 7:30 pm
... beebscsi mini ... Econet ... beebsid ... beebopl
I knew I'd miss loads!
I'll try to edit the poll - could you add your responses there?

sydney

Post by sydney » Mon Mar 04, 2019 7:39 pm

GAH! Editing the poll removed all the responses! Please add them again.
Cheers,
Simon.

RobC

Post by RobC » Mon Mar 04, 2019 8:08 pm

Not sure if this helps you but I've ended up ticking most of the options. Unsurprisingly, I have a number of VideoNuLAs fitted to various machines (B, B+, Master 128s and Compact) and they all have different peripherals attached.

Where possible, I try to add a Pi co-pro alongside the VideoNuLA so that I can run my Spectrum and CPC emulators. This is my 8-bit development platform of choice now as it gives the extra colours alongside a fast processor and lots of memory and means I can easily code for the Beeb in C.

VectorEyes

Post by VectorEyes » Mon Mar 04, 2019 10:05 pm

There's the stuff that's attached right now, and the stuff that I could attach if I wanted to, but is just sitting around or waiting to be built. Currently my Master has a Data centre, internal Pi CoPro (which involved a bit of shenanigans involving extra-long pin headers to get it fitting above the Nula!), MMC externally... But I've got a BeebSid I'm going to build at some point, a bunch of original CoPros, and if there were Beeb/Nula games that supported them I'd definitely make use of them!

KenLowe

Post by KenLowe » Mon Mar 04, 2019 10:37 pm

Similar to RobC, I've also ticked most of the boxes!

My main machine has original speech hardware, 8271 FDD controller, econet hardware, VideoNula, GoSDC plugged into one of the ROM sockets, and an IntegraB plugged into the 6502. The IntegraB is an expansion board, which contains SWR, Shadow RAM, RTC (you didn't ask about that one). Externally, I've also got a Datacentre connected to the 1MHz bus, Gotek connected to the FDD connector, Pi Co Pro connected to the Tube, SD card reader connected to the user port (use MMFS to interface with the reader), and finally an external I2C based RTC connected to the joystick port.

Intermittently, I will swap some of the plugged in hardware to connect some of the following:

5.25" FDD
External HDD (real SCSI disk drive)
BeebSCSI
SmallyMouse (you didn't ask about this one either)
6502 Co Pro (original)

I like my hardware!!!

jregel

Post by jregel » Mon Mar 04, 2019 10:42 pm

I've got an original Master with internal co-processor, with a Datacentre (with CF cards, so I put down hard disk as well), VideoNULA and an external Pi second processor.
BBC Master Turbo
Retroclinic External Datacentre
VideoNuLA
PiTubeDirect with Pi Zero

Beeb2016

Post by Beeb2016 » Mon Mar 04, 2019 11:22 pm

I have two Video NuLA's in use ones in a Master 128 the other in an issue 3 model B
both machines have Turbo MMC card readers and both share a Pi Copro direct using a pi zero although i have plans in buy another internal board for the 128.

Both also have 5.25 and 3.5" floppy drives attached.

tricky

Post by tricky » Tue Mar 05, 2019 7:21 am

My nula is in my 80s beeb with an early turbo mmc, speech chip, but no speech ROM (yet) and 32k solidisc sideways ram, the one where the write bank is selected via the user port!
I may swap the turbo mmc for a gotek as it has a udmddfs (i think) and occasionally a floppy.