Mystery mod.

for bbc micro/electron hardware, peripherals & programming issues (NOT emulators!)
rusto

Mystery mod.

Post by rusto » Mon Oct 22, 2018 12:08 pm

Hi all,
I have a rescued issue 7 that has wires running from IC41 pins 11 and 12 to a sort of din connector mounted in the econet hole (the connector isn't connected to anything else). I'm tempted to rip it all out unless it does something really cool - any ideas? The beeb was in a local college and apart from some ROMs (at least one is unlabelled) it looks standard and I haven't actually powered it up yet.
Cheers,
Rob
Attachments
DSC_0474.JPG

danielj

Re: Mystery mod.

Post by danielj » Mon Oct 22, 2018 12:17 pm

Those are the Vertical/Horizontal Sync signals - I guess they were using it with something that needed them separate rather than composite...

d.

rusto

Post by rusto » Mon Oct 22, 2018 1:05 pm

OK, thanks - out it goes then :-)

AndyF

Post by AndyF » Mon Oct 22, 2018 2:34 pm

Some monitor type that demanded sync separation signals then. The unknown ROM/ROM's might be of interest though, I see the disc interface so that leaves from the partial socket view two 'unknowns' ? :)

Not in order but...

OS / 8271 Based DFS(or DNFS perhaps) / BASIC / ?? / ??
Last edited by AndyF on Mon Oct 22, 2018 2:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Andy

* NEW * The Jetset Willy and Manic Miner community :)

Adventure games ported across to the BBC (in progress) as soon as I can find some time!

rusto

Post by rusto » Mon Oct 22, 2018 3:15 pm

Yeah, looking forward to that - might be back for more advice. The other beeb I got with this one had wordwise but literally half the pins had missed the socket or were bent under!

AndyF

Post by AndyF » Mon Oct 22, 2018 8:09 pm

rusto wrote:
Mon Oct 22, 2018 3:15 pm
Yeah, looking forward to that - might be back for more advice. The other beeb I got with this one had wordwise but literally half the pins had missed the socket or were bent under!
After I posted I then thought one might be W-Wise or something similar hence you did say one was unlabelled, figuring that was the mystery one, but as you say will be interesting to find out. Can be quite exciting in some regards to find unexpected ROM's present. :)

I recall in the dim/distant past probably mid or late 90's having a machine with I think STL DFS and the GFX rom, both had a one or two bent staples pretending to be awol pins. To be completely fair they did work!
Andy

* NEW * The Jetset Willy and Manic Miner community :)

Adventure games ported across to the BBC (in progress) as soon as I can find some time!

rusto

Post by rusto » Wed Oct 24, 2018 10:43 am

Oh well, the only surprise in this one was a plume of stinky smoke from the PSU. Caps on order.