UPURS cable and rom ?

for bbc micro/electron hardware, peripherals & programming issues (NOT emulators!)
Back2skooldaze

UPURS cable and rom ?

Post by Back2skooldaze » Sat Aug 11, 2018 1:56 pm

Hi, Can some one please tell me if RetroKit are still selling the UPURS cable and rom ?

I have messaged RetroKit numerous times about wanting one and i get no reply? I even went on the facebook channel of the UPURS guy who developed it and supposed to still sell it ? And after a message on his facebook i get no reply ???

Can anyone help as i would really like to try the UPURS cable+rom setup

Last edited by Back2skooldaze on Sat Aug 11, 2018 1:57 pm, edited 3 times in total.

MartinB

Re: UPURS cable and rom ?

Post by MartinB » Sat Aug 11, 2018 3:08 pm

Paul, who owns RetroKit, has been a little poorly in recent times and “the UPURS guy who developed it” doesn’t have (and has never had) a Farcebook account, let alone a “channel”! You should maybe send him a PM on here....

Last edited by MartinB on Sat Aug 11, 2018 5:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Elminster

Post by Elminster » Sat Aug 11, 2018 5:50 pm

So all these years you claimed to developed it Martin and turns out it was some other person :evil: I will have to update the hardware list to ‘Facebook guy’
Last edited by Elminster on Sat Aug 11, 2018 5:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MartinB

Post by MartinB » Sat Aug 11, 2018 8:20 pm

He can poke this on his wall tag.....

poop.jpg
poop.jpg (4.49 KiB) Viewed 895 times

:D

VectorEyes

Post by VectorEyes » Sat Aug 11, 2018 9:25 pm

Hi @Back2skooldaze,

I think what this comes down to is that if you send MartinB a message, he might be able to give you some advice about getting hold of UPURS cables and ROMs. I can personally attest that he's really helpful!

MartinB

Post by MartinB » Sat Aug 11, 2018 9:32 pm

Oh, did I not make that clear....? :lol:

danielj

Post by danielj » Sat Aug 11, 2018 10:01 pm

Who are you again? :?

MartinB

Post by MartinB » Sat Aug 11, 2018 10:08 pm

Without Farcebook, apparently nobody.....

danielj

Post by danielj » Sun Aug 12, 2018 12:41 pm

:(

Back2skooldaze

Post by Back2skooldaze » Mon Aug 13, 2018 12:05 am

So i got it wrong :( being new to the Retro-Acorn scene i thought the guy Paul (Retrokit.co.uk) who i was told to contact on face book as he was still active to see if he still sold the cable and rom?

Ok so is this Paul's facebook page/channel https://www.facebook.com/RetroKitUK/ ???

Is It Paulv ?

On Retrokit.co.uk i did message Martin Barr a few times from that site with no reply. I do apologise that i fully took it that Paul was the one who developed the UPURS and understand NOW that it was Martin Barr's project. :-$

Oh and i am not a big fan of facebook either :!: All my family members don't even know i exist as i have no facebook account :roll: But i do have a youtube channel :lol: And i am on QRZ.Com So i do truly exist :mrgreen:

Contact Martin
You can contact Martin Barr directly using the UPURS contact page. And that's what i did. :o
Last edited by Back2skooldaze on Mon Aug 13, 2018 4:00 am, edited 22 times in total.

danielj

Post by danielj » Mon Aug 13, 2018 5:39 am

Don't worry :)
Paul is indeed PaulV and MartinB is MartinB. MartinB may or may not be real, but evidence strongly suggests he is, even without his data having been hoarded by a multinational advertising corporation. :)

d

MartinB

Post by MartinB » Mon Aug 13, 2018 7:23 am

Hello Andrew - no idea if I’m real or not :-k but I’ll send you a PM with my email address and you can ping me on there. In essence, I can provide an UPURS cable and rom but I’m away on hols at the moment so you’re looking at two or three weeks lead-time I’m afraid. There are already two orders queued up for folk on here so it won’t be a problem to do another... 8)

(btw - There used to be an auto-forward to me on Retro-Kit but I don’t really supply cables etc. in any quantity anymore due to Beeb project bandwidth issues.)

Last edited by MartinB on Mon Aug 13, 2018 7:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

MartinB

Post by MartinB » Sun Aug 19, 2018 6:51 pm

@ Back2skooldaze - did you still want a cable and rom? I did PM you a while ago and I see that you read it but as far as I know, I haven't had an email from you unless it got inadvertently spammed? I have a bunch of the necessary connectors etc. on order so let me know because I'll be building some cables soon.

Back2skooldaze

Post by Back2skooldaze » Sun Sep 02, 2018 6:13 pm

Hi Martin, Just letting you know the UPURS cable and Rom is fantastic! ;) I know we got of on the wrong foot but all turned good in the end :)

I'm using the cable on the BBC Master with the Rom in a cartridge case which has a Commstar Rom in ;) I like the Master as its easier to fit Roms.
The cable works extremely fast in sending files from the pc/hercules to the BBC disk drive. I just need to get a uef file to work.

Thanks once again Martin truly appreciate all your help :wink:

MartinB

Post by MartinB » Sun Sep 02, 2018 8:27 pm

Hi Andrew - good to hear you're up and running 8)

Regarding UPCFS and UEF's, I'll post something over on the UPURS home thread shortly....

chrisH

Post by chrisH » Wed Feb 06, 2019 8:12 pm

Hi Martin,

Are ROMs/Cables still available?

Due to a NAS crash my copies of my personal BBC disks were lost. I'd like to resurrect my old equipment and attempt to copy the material across once more.

Thx

MartinB

Post by MartinB » Wed Feb 06, 2019 8:57 pm

They are indeed :)

I keep trying to give the UPURS cable-making ‘franchise’ away for personal bandwidth reasons but like the proverbial bad-penny, it always seems to return home.... :roll: :lol:

Anyways, I recently re-stocked with the necessary bits and pieces due to another flourish of orders and in fact, I’ve only just delivered one and am about to build another in the next few days so you’re in luck and I’ll just double-up. Since you’re a new member, you won’t be able to send PM’s yet but I think you can read them so I’ll send you my email address and we can go from there.

So, look out for a message soon.... :wink:

(I presume btw that you’ve already ‘read-all-about-it’ over at Retro-kit ?)

MartinB

Post by MartinB » Thu Feb 07, 2019 9:08 pm

See here for the USB-Serial adaptor recommendation.....