Fake 6502As

discuss both original and modern hardware for the bbc micro/electron
cmorley

Fake 6502As

Post by cmorley » Thu Jul 19, 2018 11:35 am

Hi All,

I've been struggling to buy some 6502A for my spare parts bin. I used up my last 1984 vintage one repairing my Electron. I ordered some from two different eBay vendors and got remarked junk (different from the photos but identical between the vendors). All labelled as Rockwell 6502AP but none run at 2MHz so it is poosible they are 1Mhz 6502 (not 2MHz 6502A).

I bought some from an Aliexpress vendor too... they are remarked but the plastic package looks different and they actually work. All - working and none working have identical batch code and date codes.
Photo0648.jpg
I honestly don't know why they bother rebadging something that old! They have been out of production for ages. Just send me the correct part number - if it is dated 198x then fine!

If anyone wants the NFG ones - in case they are OK 1Mhz 6502 then you can have them for P&P. PM me. Otherwise they are going in the bin.

So buyer beware... test and complain so you get a refund.

1024MAK

Re: Fake 6502As

Post by 1024MAK » Thu Jul 19, 2018 2:04 pm

I get the impression that old chips that are no longer in production, but for which there is some demand, attract the interest of unscrupulous recycling companies.

Due to the low cost of labour in parts of the Far East, we already know that they are good at "pulling" used chips (either from sockets, or desoldering them), cleaning them up and then selling them as 'new old stock'.

To increase profit a bit more, some are remarked as newer, higher spec. parts.

The trouble for us, is it is very difficult to tell what we will get when there is a listing on eBay or various other internet sites.

Even buying parts from a UK based seller is no guarantee, as they may have sourced the parts from the Far East... (See the thread about fake 65C02 CPUs, where the 'CMOS' CPU was found to be an NMOS type).

Alas, if non-production chips, such as NMOS parts are wanted for Acorn 8 bit systems, my suggestion would be to contact either Dave Hitchins or Mark @ RetroClinic. Alternately, buy a non-working 6502A based computer/system board and hope that the CPU is okay.

Mark

Elminster

Post by Elminster » Thu Jul 19, 2018 2:21 pm

65c02 shouldn't be an issue as you can still buy them new (well unless you buy fake one from ebay), I dont suppose your project could use them instead? i.e. if it was a new project rather than fixing BBC B or Electron.

GadgetUK164

Post by GadgetUK164 » Thu Jul 19, 2018 7:18 pm

I've had two or three fakes as well - as mentioned in one of my recent beeb repair vids.

They won't work in the beeb in this warm weather, but put it into a VIC-20 and they run fine. They are 1Mhz parts marked up as A's.
Retro Gaming Mods & Repairs - My YouTube Channel - https://www.youtube.com/GadgetUK164

cmorley

Post by cmorley » Thu Jul 19, 2018 7:47 pm

I don't actually need any I just wanted to restock my spares with some "known good" parts. Always handy when you are trying to diagnose something.

I much prefer it when the Chinese just send recylced and not remarked parts. I buy EPROMs off one seller because they don't sell the black topped "brand new" ST 27C256 & 27C512. They can't be new because they are all out of production and the size of the die places them in the early 90s! Still a few slip through even from that vendor. One identified as TI on the EPROM programmer (and the die matches other TI parts I have). Another ST 27C512 I put under the microscope has a Nat Semi logo on the die...

eBay is pretty safe though as you're guaranteed your money back if you pay with PP. It just wastes time... order... wait 1-3 weeks... open... sad face... test... slump shoulders... complain... refund... order from different vendor... rinse... repeat...

Return to “8-bit acorn hardware”