Broken New AP5 Fixed & Electron Mouse testing

for bbc micro/electron hardware, peripherals & programming issues (NOT emulators!)
daveejhitchins

Re: Broken New AP5 Fixed & Electron Mouse testing

Post by daveejhitchins » Tue Jul 31, 2018 12:16 pm

@Neil . . . See if someone can supply you with some checksums - for the ROM image, as a start.

Dave H :D
Parts: UM6502CE, GAL22V10D, GAL16V8D, AS6C62256A, TC514400AZ, WD1772, R6522, TMS27C512, AT28C256
Products: ARA II, ARA III, ABR, ATI, AP6, MGC, AP5 . . .
For a price list, contact me at: Retro Hardware AT dave ej hitchins DOT plus DOT com

MartinB

Post by MartinB » Tue Jul 31, 2018 1:57 pm

The Elk-modified AMX rom that I prepared for Stuart and that he posted earlier in this thread, ('AMX' on side 2 of the posted dsd image), has a Checksum-32 of $2CF656. If you get the V4 EEPROM utilities from here, you can use the EEP16 tool to calculate and display the checksum of any installed sideways rom or ram-bank. With EEP16 on a disc, type *EEP16 SUM <n> where <n> is a single hex digit between 0-F reflecting the sideways rom or ram-bank to be checked, and the installed Checksum-32 for the given rom will be displayed. In this case, you should of course see $002CF656.

Last edited by MartinB on Tue Jul 31, 2018 1:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.

-B-

Post by -B- » Wed Aug 01, 2018 7:18 pm

MartinB wrote:
Tue Jul 31, 2018 1:57 pm
The Elk-modified AMX rom that I prepared for Stuart and that he posted earlier in this thread, ('AMX' on side 2 of the posted dsd image), has a Checksum-32 of $2CF656. If you get the V4 EEPROM utilities from here, you can use the EEP16 tool to calculate and display the checksum of any installed sideways rom or ram-bank. With EEP16 on a disc, type *EEP16 SUM <n> where <n> is a single hex digit between 0-F reflecting the sideways rom or ram-bank to be checked, and the installed Checksum-32 for the given rom will be displayed. In this case, you should of course see $002CF656.
Checksum checks out OK: 002CF656

Neil
Atom | BBC Model A | BBC Model B | Electron | Olivetti PC128S.

MartinB

Post by MartinB » Wed Aug 01, 2018 9:16 pm

Your rom is definitely ok then. I originally modified it and ensured it worked before passing it to Stuart for whom it also works fine so we’re looking at a system config issue. I didn’t have an AP5 at the time (nor did Stuart) and I don’t have the SCSII thing (what is it btw?) so I would have been using just an Elk with a Plus 1 (I never use my Plus 3), real floppies via either a Peg 400 or an AP34 (but I never use ADFS *spit*), the mouse will have been a basic AMX User-Port device through EUP and the for the AMX rom, either a standard rom cart or the EUP rom socket with either using EEPROM as the device of choice.

Sooooo....., if you are able to lose the AP5 and/or the SCSII then that would be good because it’s really looking more like a conflict of some kind :-k

Last edited by MartinB on Wed Aug 01, 2018 9:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

-B-

Post by -B- » Wed Aug 01, 2018 9:26 pm

MartinB wrote:
Wed Aug 01, 2018 9:16 pm

Sooooo....., if you are able to lose the AP5 and/or the SCSII then that would be good because it’s really looking more like a conflict of some kind :-k
I’ve been thinking about trying UPURS instead of AP5 to prove the smallymouse works but I will have to make a real disk too.

I will try it tomorrow and report back.

Neil.

MartinB

Post by MartinB » Wed Aug 01, 2018 9:37 pm

Good plan 👍. Stuart and I both swear by UPURS - this plus floppies is always a great starting point for a sanity check because then you’re ‘back in the day’ as far as is possible... :)

Elminster

Post by Elminster » Wed Aug 01, 2018 9:47 pm

We know we the AP5 does work though as people have it working.

Also not sure that Neil has an EUP.

The test cold be done but first unplugged beebscsi, test. Then unplug AP5, test. Although I have never tried Electron AMX Rom and software with no form of user port. Does it start?

When I saw gobbledygook before I should have clarified the ROM was fine it was the Amx art software that was corrupt.

MartinB

Post by MartinB » Wed Aug 01, 2018 10:06 pm

Duncan wrote:When I saw gobbledygook before I should have clarified the ROM was fine it was the Amx art software that was corrupt.
If Neil uses UPURS to make a fresh floppy from Stuart's image post, we'll at least know for sure that all the software and firmware has been imported correctly. I wasn't suggesting that there's anything wrong with the AP5 but when one has an apparent system configuration conflict, it's always best to strip back to the minimum/basic possible config as a starting point.

Elminster

Post by Elminster » Thu Aug 02, 2018 6:26 pm

MartinB wrote:
Wed Aug 01, 2018 10:06 pm
Duncan wrote:When I saw gobbledygook before I should have clarified the ROM was fine it was the Amx art software that was corrupt.
If Neil uses UPURS to make a fresh floppy from Stuart's image post, we'll at least know for sure that all the software and firmware has been imported correctly. I wasn't suggesting that there's anything wrong with the AP5 but when one has an apparent system configuration conflict, it's always best to strip back to the minimum/basic possible config as a starting point.
But if he takes AP5 out how will he use UPURS with no user port? No mention that he owns a EUP.

-B-

Post by -B- » Thu Aug 02, 2018 8:27 pm

I’ve just finished building a UPURS, now I just need to fix my PC so I can make the serial connection.
CAA2CC1B-5D22-4013-BE66-450D3225EBF8.jpeg
Neil

Elminster

Post by Elminster » Thu Aug 02, 2018 8:38 pm

-B- wrote:
Thu Aug 02, 2018 8:27 pm
I’ve just finished building a UPURS, now I just need to fix my PC so I can make the serial connection.

CAA2CC1B-5D22-4013-BE66-450D3225EBF8.jpeg

Neil
Ah okay you mean you built the EUP (Electron User Port) board so you do have one. That was the missing piece of information. You called it UPURS instead of EUP, hence my confusion or you would have been connecting upurs cable to air.

MartinB

Post by MartinB » Thu Aug 02, 2018 9:17 pm

Duncan wrote:That was the missing piece of information.
I knew Neil had an EUP..... :- :---)

Anyway, use the EUP in a Plus 1 with UPURS to make a floppy from Stuart's image and then use the EUP with a mouse and the floppy. Does Smallymouse plug into a User Port like the AMX ones?

-B-

Post by -B- » Thu Aug 02, 2018 9:21 pm

Elminster wrote:
Thu Aug 02, 2018 8:38 pm

Ah okay you mean you built the EUP (Electron User Port) board so you do have one. That was the missing piece of information. You called it UPURS instead of EUP, hence my confusion or you would have been connecting upurs cable to air.
Ahh yes, sorry, I got the EUP last year for the UPURS function, so that’s what I call it in my head, didn’t even think about the User Port until this thread lead me down that path. All the parts have been sat in a box for over a year.

aerworuld

Post by aerworuld » Fri Aug 17, 2018 5:18 am

Hi all!

Sorry to jump in fashionably late! Not sure where you're at with the smallymouse compatibility side of things but I got it working fine with EUP and the ROM image and AMX Art version in that floppy image.

Well, up until my decrepit ps/2 compatible USB mouse for smallymouse packed up :roll:

I need to open up my AMX mouse and try and get that working again - I'm mouseless at the moment #-o

Stuart :-)

simoni

Post by simoni » Fri Aug 17, 2018 5:49 am

SmallyMouse2 doesn't require a PS/2 compatible mouse - it has real USB support. Any mouse should work, even wireless ones.

The only hardware reason SmallyMouse wouldn't work with something (assuming the connections are correct) is power - USB requires 5V. The interface to the computer is basically analogue since it's just switching, so there is very little to go wrong (it's also proven on many (many) 8, 16 and 32 bit machines).

aerworuld

Post by aerworuld » Fri Aug 17, 2018 6:41 am

simoni wrote:
Fri Aug 17, 2018 5:49 am
SmallyMouse2 doesn't require a PS/2 compatible mouse - it has real USB support. Any mouse should work, even wireless ones.

The only hardware reason SmallyMouse wouldn't work with something (assuming the connections are correct) is power - USB requires 5V. The interface to the computer is basically analogue since it's just switching, so there is very little to go wrong (it's also proven on many (many) 8, 16 and 32 bit machines).
Ok, I won't hijack the thread with my own issues then but I can't get any mouse to work with the smallymouse now (it was working fine for a few weeks that's why I assumed it was the ps/2 usb mouse had failed, and that was why none of my nornal usb nice worked with it, but in the light of what you've said I see the issue must be elsewhere).

Will report back with any new developments ;-)