Need help connecting BBC Master to Internet

for bbc micro/electron hardware, peripherals & programming issues (NOT emulators!)
arnuphis

Need help connecting BBC Master to Internet

Post by arnuphis » Thu Jun 21, 2018 7:05 pm

Hello everyone.
I have a BBC master with Datacenter. I recently got a USR-WIFI232-602 V2 Serial RS232 to Wireless device and I would lilke to connect my Beeb to this for the purpose of going to a BBS sites via the internet. There is scattered information all over the place but I would like a noob friendly guide to getting up and running.

Firstly I need a pin out guide for the RS port on the beeb to the standard 9 bin serial port on the wireless device.
Next what is the best way to configure the device to work with the beeb. Would love to see what settings other people used.
Finally what software should I use on the Beeb? I tried getting the Comstar rom but I get 'Bad Name' every time I tried to SRLOAD it. I have the terminal rom but I don't have a list of commands it uses.

I know from the various posts on this site and others that people have been successful but I need a guide in one place to help me (and others) get this going.

Thanks in advance.

MartinB

Re: Need help connecting BBC Master to Internet

Post by MartinB » Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:26 pm

Here’s a modem wiring diagram I posted for someone else doing something similar with a Wimodem232 and this assumes that the modem has a 25-way D-Type serial connector. If yours has a 9-way connector, you can simply read-across the signal names for the modem pin numbers. ( So 2:TXD 3:RXD 5:GND 7:CTS 8:RTS )

40BA24D4-EFA9-407D-B275-D6FA394A9D0D.jpeg

Edited at least 6 times because that’s how I’ve always tuned posts for the last 10+ years on here... :lol:
Last edited by MartinB on Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:00 pm, edited 6 times in total.

danielj

Post by danielj » Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:02 pm

MartinB wrote:
Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:26 pm
Edited at least 6 times because that’s how I’ve always tuned posts for the last 10+ years on here... :lol:
Big hugs Martin - every time you're posting at the moment all I can see is rocking Stewie! :D

danielj

Post by danielj » Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:05 pm

Actually, further
(See how I get away without edits by making two posts in a row? :D)

Probably worth having a look at this thread: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=15076

I run through commstar, and using the NodeMCU - the basic principles are exactly the same though :)

d.

arnuphis

Post by arnuphis » Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:16 pm

Thanks for the help!

I have a WiModem connected to my TI-99 which works well so I may try and use that to at least get the BBC side of things going before I attempt to get the other device configured. Now I can at least make up the cable.

I have Commstar on a usb stick and I cannot for the life of me get it to work. *SRLOAD just gives 'Bad Name' results when running from the RamFS in the data center.

I tried the other option with the 'Load Filename 3000" step but after doing the *ADFS command I no longer have the USB stick to save ROM back to.

MartinB

Post by MartinB » Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:25 pm

Well, the other person using the Wimodem232 asked a similar question so again, here’s my reply.....

I wrote:You have some sideways ram on a Master by default, although there are links that allow this to be selected as physical roms or sideways ram but let's assume yours is set to ram.

If you download one of those roms as an 8k or 16k image to a floppy disc (if you have one) or to your Datacentre, you should be able to load it into ram using *SRLOAD <rom file name> 8000 4 where 4 is the sideways ram bank id. After loading, press <Ctrl><Break> and type *HELP and you /should/ see the rom listed with the other resident roms.

If you first type *ROMS <Return>, I think you should see a list of rom id's and what roms or ram are present therein. If id 4 says ram (though I think this may be just a question mark :-k) use the command line above or, if 4 isn't ram, pick one that is and substitute it's number for the 4 in the command line. I think by default, id's 4 to 7 should be ram....

Check your *SRLOAD command format carefully and that it aligns with my example above. You could even post exactly what you’re typing on here in case the issue is something subtle.
Last edited by MartinB on Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.

jgharston

Post by jgharston » Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:33 pm

arnuphis wrote:
Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:16 pm
I have Commstar on a usb stick and I cannot for the life of me get it to work. *SRLOAD just gives 'Bad Name' results when running from the RamFS in the data center.
The USB drive in RAMFS isn't a proper drive, it's a "window" to the USB system. It only supports LOAD, SAVE, CAT, IMPORT and EXPORT. This is documented in the documentation, it's hard to miss. It does NOT support OSFILE, OSGBPB, OSARGS, OSBGET, OSBPUT, OSFILE other than LOAD/SAVE, so you cannot *SRLOAD from USB (OPENIN(filename), OSGBPB, CLOSE). What you will need to do is *LOAD the file to local memory, and then *SRWRITE it to sideways RAM, eg:
*LOAD ROMFILE 3000
*SRWRITE 3000+4000 8000 2
I tried the other option with the 'Load Filename 3000" step but after doing the *ADFS command I no longer have the USB stick to save ROM back to.
So, select RAMFS with *RAM to select the USB drive.

Code: Select all

$ bbcbasic
PDP11 BBC BASIC IV Version 0.25
(C) Copyright J.G.Harston 1989,2005-2015
>_

arnuphis

Post by arnuphis » Fri Jun 22, 2018 11:04 pm

jgharston wrote:
Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:33 pm

The USB drive in RAMFS isn't a proper drive, it's a "window" to the USB system. It only supports LOAD, SAVE, CAT, IMPORT and EXPORT. This is documented in the documentation, it's hard to miss. It does NOT support OSFILE, OSGBPB, OSARGS, OSBGET, OSBPUT, OSFILE other than LOAD/SAVE, so you cannot *SRLOAD from USB (OPENIN(filename), OSGBPB, CLOSE). What you will need to do is *LOAD the file to local memory, and then *SRWRITE it to sideways RAM, eg:
*LOAD ROMFILE 3000
*SRWRITE 3000+4000 8000 2
Thanks for clarifying. Despite the somewhat insulting remark in there it was very helpful. I will endeavor to try out what was suggested. I am new to all things Beeb so I appreciate everyone's patience while I ask the newbie questions. I was a Commodore/TI guy back in the day so that is where the bulk of my knowledge and experience rests. Both those machines were a doddle (to me) to get working online. My first Acorn machine was an A5000 so my only exposure to a Beeb was seeing one wheeled around at my school. We only had one. The other machines were Pets and a 380z.I am therefore still finding my way around all the interesting stuff this machine can do. So to sum up what may seem hard to miss to you is something that I did miss otherwise I would not be asking.

Anyway wish me luck and if I am successful I will document everything for the next clueless guy that comes along :D .

Elminster

Post by Elminster » Fri Jun 22, 2018 11:16 pm

arnuphis wrote:
Fri Jun 22, 2018 11:04 pm

Anyway wish me luck and if I am successful I will document everything for the next clueless guy that comes along :D .
Good luck. It is documented ... just not in one document ... so feel free. It is usually time and duplication that are the issues. I.e. people are short of time and don’t always collate it, also things get duplicate in various threads a lot so people may not think they need to.

That is why I ended up doing the hardware list, in signature, was a way for me to track hardware I might want that was spread all over the forums and internet.

Just post link back in this thread if external.

MartinB

Post by MartinB » Fri Jun 22, 2018 11:29 pm

arnuphis wrote:Despite the somewhat insulting remark in there it was very helpful. I will endeavor to try out what was suggested. I am new to all things Beeb so I appreciate everyone's patience while I ask the newbie questions
Please don’t judge us all by the bad manners of some, the absolute majority of members on here will cheerfully help you with even the most trivial of questions. After all, none of us are born with this knowledge, we have all learned it from somewhere and for most of us, passing it on to newcomers is nothing but a pleasure 8)
Last edited by MartinB on Fri Jun 22, 2018 11:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

arnuphis

Post by arnuphis » Sat Jun 23, 2018 12:00 am

Thanks for the help and kind words. I now have the Commstar ROM running. Next up is the easy bit which is making the cable and then I will see about configuring the Wi-Fi/serial device. Will report back once I am done.

Back2skooldaze

Post by Back2skooldaze » Wed Jul 18, 2018 4:12 am

Hi i use a lantronix UDS-10 on my BBC to access BBS sites.
I have 2 lantronix in total and i use them on all my 8bit computers and amiga.

The lantronix is a serial to ethernet device and it emulates a modem. Once its connected to the router or in my case an ethernet hub you download the lantronix software from there site and then you can log in to the lantronix via your pc to set it up and what ever baud rate i usually use 2400 or 300 baud rate.

The BBC will only do line feed so no fancy gfx.The c64 and atari xl do show gfx which looks really good.The amiga is line feeds only too.

If you get a lantronix off ebay and want to set it up i can show you my settings to access BBS sites from the BBC.

If you get a lantronix you will need a null modem cable and Sprow's serial cable for the BBC .You connect the serial cable from the BBC to the null modem cable and then feed the null modem cable to the lantronix. In order to connect Sprow's serial cable to the lantronix you may need a gender changer.
Let me know if you are going to get a lantronix and i will be glad to help you get connected.Your best buying a serial cable for the BBC from Sprow's website its very professionally made up and robust!
I thought i was the only person connecting my BBC to the net for BBS access :) Glad someone else is doing it too! I even connected a pace modem up to the BBC and dialed in to Nostromo's BBS

I have a BBC model B and a Master BBC both bought from retroclinic with data centres in. I got Mark to burn commstar to a rom which i then use in a cartridge on the BBC Master

http://www.sprow.co.uk/bbc/extraserial.htm
Last edited by Back2skooldaze on Wed Jul 18, 2018 4:22 am, edited 5 times in total.