Electron key colours

discuss both original and modern hardware for the bbc micro/electron
markdryan

Electron key colours

Post by markdryan » Sat Jun 16, 2018 8:54 pm

I brought my just-in-case electron down from the attic today and put it beside my main electron to compare the feet of the two machines. My main electron wobbles a little when the AP5 is inserted so I wanted to see if the just-in-case electron wobbled as well, which it didn't.

The two electrons have never met before. This may seem cruel, but keeping them apart helps me maintain the illusion that there is only one electron. Having finally placed the two electrons side by side I noticed that they were cosmetically different. The keywords printed on the front of the keys of my main electron are amber, sort of the same colour as the power light. On my just-in-case electron the keywords are sort of a dark greeny/brown.

I was just wondering whether anyone knew what the difference signifies, which is more common and whether any other keyword colours were used.

CMcDougall

Re: Electron key colours

Post by CMcDougall » Sat Jun 16, 2018 9:52 pm

Always keep your electron together , they get lonely apart!

There is three versions of motherboard being Iss2 (the best) Iss4, & Iss6 (crap as lead sockets don't line up)

The keyboards are same on all Iss2s, & iss4&6 are same, but as you notice different 2 v 4/6.

Don't know how it wobbles, have you lots one of four rubber feet??
ImageImageImage

daveejhitchins

Post by daveejhitchins » Sun Jun 17, 2018 9:24 am

Don't know how it wobbles, have you lost one of four rubber feet??
If you have (?) Mark (retroClinic) stocks them . . .

Dave H :D
Parts: UM6502CE, GAL22V10D, GAL16V8D, AS6C62256A, TC514400AZ, WD1772, R6522, TMS27C512, AT28C256
Products: ARA II, ARA III, ABR, ATI, AP6, MGC, AP5 . . .
For a price list, contact me at: Retro Hardware AT dave ej hitchins DOT plus DOT com

markdryan

Post by markdryan » Sun Jun 17, 2018 12:48 pm

When the wobbly electron arrived from eBay it was missing one of its feet. I bought a replacement from eBay ( not from Retroclinic ) and everything seemed fine. It wasn’t until I inserted the ap5 that I noticed the wobble. The feet on the electron and the ap1 are all worn to a different extent. I’m going to replace them all.

Thanks for the info about the motherboards. I’m going to open the electrons up to see which revisions I have.

Return to “8-bit acorn hardware”