Hybrid system

for bbc micro/electron hardware, peripherals & programming issues (NOT emulators!)
klintworth

Hybrid system

Post by klintworth » Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:15 pm

Just back to the Acorn scene having been away for a few years. Living in Vancouver, Canada. I have 2 complete systems, a series 4 UK and series 1 North America, and a spare series 4 motherboard and keyboard. The UK power supply has died, so I've swapped out the North American motherboard for a series 4, which is working well with the 115V power supply. The North American keyboard has just stopped working (just one beep on power on, and no LED lights, so for now I'm using a UK keyboard). Question: how to fix the North American keyboard? I'm suspecting maybe dry solder joints? Any suggestions gratefully received!
IMG_0377.JPG
IMG_0376.jpg

DutchAcorn

Re: Hybrid system

Post by DutchAcorn » Wed Jun 13, 2018 7:05 am

Have you eliminated the keyboard cable as a cause?
Paul

dominicbeesley

Re: Hybrid system

Post by dominicbeesley » Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:06 am

Yes, some switch cleaner in the cable plugs and clean up the connector pins on motherboard and keyboard gently with a nail-file first.

Next, its worth trying carefully cleaning re-seating all the socketed chips, the sockets themselves are worth inspecting. Many of the problems I've had on all the Model B's I've had have been down to dodgy sockets or connections.

Damp doesn't seem to destroy beebs mine got very damp and all the chips seem to have survived but all the sockets went "bad". The badness seems to be tarnishing followed by the contacts losing springiness.

[When I visited Vancouver the weather seemed to be very "British" i.e. either warm and humid or cold and damp!]

D