Advice on internal Datacentre 1MHz bus cable installation?

for bbc micro/electron hardware, peripherals & programming issues (NOT emulators!)
VectorEyes

Advice on internal Datacentre 1MHz bus cable installation?

Post by VectorEyes » Mon May 21, 2018 1:08 pm

Hi all,

I bought a DataCentre a few weeks ago. I've finally arranged to get my Master 128 PSU recapped, so I thought it was high time I knuckled down and actually got it installed.

Maybe it's a completely stupid question, but I've hit something I'm not clear about. I'd like to mount the 1MHz cable internally, but the connector is on the outside of the case, for obvious reasons. As I understand it, this means I have to cut a hole in the case so I can plug the 1MHz cable into its socket, then have it immediately enter the case again, go under the motherboard and then round and up to the Datacentre board.

Are there any instructions, visual guides etc. that show exactly how to do this? There are plenty of images and videos of installed Datacentres online, but I have (so far) not found any images that show exactly how to cut the hole. Or have I totally understood the installations instructions?

I thought I'd ask here before bothering Mark from Retroclinic directly, on the basis that presumably plenty of people on here have done exactly this installation in the past!

(And many apologies if this is an embarassingly stupid question!)

Lardo Boffin

Re: Advice on internal Datacentre 1MHz bus cable installation?

Post by Lardo Boffin » Mon May 21, 2018 1:41 pm

I just had my Master refurbed by Mark and got him to fit it while he had it (and a Pi co proc and switchable os etc.) and here is how mine looks underneath. Note it is still in the antistatic bag - it literally just arrived!
Attachments
47A50E21-0B34-4998-8CE8-4044E2874421.jpeg
2E2C328F-2F24-40F9-9F59-917AA1462691.jpeg
BBC model B 32k issue 4, 16k sideways RAM, Watford 12 ROM board, Retroclinic Datacentre + HDD, Viglen twin 40/80 5.25" discs, acorn cassette, Acorn 6502 coproc
BBC model B 32k issue 7, turboMMC, Opus Challenger 3 512k, Pi 3 coproc
BBC Master

RobC

Post by RobC » Mon May 21, 2018 2:01 pm

I think Mark usually puts some card between the cable and the underside of the PCB and sticks the cable to the outside of the card using a glue gun (or similar). This prevents any of the legs/sharp bits of the the PCB from damaging the cable.

I copied this when mounting my Pi co-pro inside my model B.

VectorEyes

Post by VectorEyes » Mon May 21, 2018 2:12 pm

RobC wrote:I think Mark usually puts some card between the cable and the underside of the PCB and sticks the cable to the outside of the card using a glue gun (or similar). This prevents any of the legs/sharp bits of the the PCB from damaging the cable.

I copied this when mounting my Pi co-pro inside my model B.
Ahah, thanks, and thanks Lardo Boffin for the pictures.

The printed instructions do explicitly mention that there's a piece of the case (internally) that you need to cut out to avoid the PCB pins being pressed down into the cable, and now that I've seen pictures I understand that it really is just a case of carving out an appropriately sized slot just about the interface connector.

Could anyone who's done this before tell me what tools they used? Are there recommended tools for carefully hacking sections out of old plastic computer cases? :)

RobC

Post by RobC » Mon May 21, 2018 2:56 pm

VectorEyes wrote:Are there recommended tools for carefully hacking sections out of old plastic computer cases?
I used a dremel type tool (actually a Proxxon) when I modded my A4 case. It's good for removing large amounts of plastic quickly and then you can tidy the edges up with a file.

VincentVega

Post by VincentVega » Mon May 21, 2018 6:03 pm

VectorEyes wrote: Could anyone who's done this before tell me what tools they used?
I used a normal Stanley knife. It's rather a crude tool for such a job, but it was good enough. I cut vertically first at either end of the connector. with the bottom of the case in its normal position. Then I went horizontally between the two vertical cuts - I had to go over and over until I finally broke through the plastic. It's massively thick, but my knife isn't the greatest so it took far longer than it should have. I finished off with a file to try and tidy up a bit. I didn't bother with any card, though having read the posts previous to this one, perhaps I should add some.

A Dremel would definitely be easier and neater, but the Stanley knife was all I had to hand.

rharper

Post by rharper » Sat May 26, 2018 3:45 pm

VectorEyes wrote: Could anyone who's done this before tell me what tools they used?
I used a Stanley knife and a chisel to do the same job.
Ray
Edit: I did this on the case without the motherboard.
Last edited by rharper on Sat May 26, 2018 5:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Raycomp

1024MAK

Post by 1024MAK » Sat May 26, 2018 5:41 pm

I used a jack hammer and a nail file :mrgreen:

Joking aside, when cutting ABS cases, depending on the size of the hole, I use the following tools:
  • Junior hacksaw,
  • Metal file (I have a selection from normal size metal files to small 'craft' types and needle files),
  • Small flat bladed pliers,
  • Jigsaw with a clean cut wood blade,
  • Mini 12V drill (designed for drilling PCB holes) fitted with a cutting disc (but this is hard to use without accidentally damaging the other parts of the case),
  • Electric battery drill, or the mini 12V drill, with suitable drill bits (useful for drilling a series of holes, which you then can cut through with a hacksaw blade, or just snap off),
  • Sometimes a Stanley knife (but not recommended, as it's easy to slip and damage something else).
The easiest is to use a knife to score the case where you want the final cutout to be. Then use a junior hacksaw to cut a series of slots about 3 to 4mm apart at 90o to the slot, but don't go all the way to where you want the final cut. Then use the pliers to rock each bit of the cut case backwards and forwards until it breaks off. Then when all these bits are gone, use suitable files to finish the cutout until square and smooth.

Mark
For a "Complete BBC Games Archive" visit www.bbcmicro.co.uk NOW!
BeebWiki‬ - for answers to many questions...

shakesc

Post by shakesc » Tue Jun 05, 2018 6:04 pm

Hello
I have Master with a PiCopro and a datacentre
I haven't mounted the datacentre yet just but wondered if anyone had mounted it so it fixed to the mainboard and not the lid

Looking at fitting an SD adapter to it and Econet at some stage just to fill up the case :)

Pics would be great :)

Elminster

Post by Elminster » Tue Jun 05, 2018 7:02 pm

Didn’t Simon Inns (simoni) do that. I am sure I remember him saying he did.