myelin’s Econet Hub

for bbc micro/electron hardware, peripherals & programming issues (NOT emulators!)
lcww1

myelin’s Econet Hub

Post by lcww1 » Sat May 05, 2018 4:31 pm

A little while ago myelin very kindly sent me one of his Econet Hub pcbs - viewtopic.php?f=3&t=8000&p=199657&hilit ... ub#p199657

the project is described here: https://github.com/google/myelin-acorn- ... /README.md

the hub combines a clock, line biasing, 5 Econet sockets, and a usb socket to provide power.

I’ve finally found some time to get this soldered up:
DF48566D-68B8-4068-8293-17E8C1021A48.jpeg
myelin’s Econet Hub
Now I just need to program the ATTINY and give the thing a test! :D

Thanks to myelin for sharing this!

lcww1

Re: myelin’s Econet Hub

Post by lcww1 » Sun May 06, 2018 12:49 pm

So, I made a rookie error with the smd micro usb connector for the hub - I somehow managed to use a reversed usb socket, and in consequence I allowed the magic smoke to escape from the attiny when I powered up the hub for the first time #-o

However, myelin had the foresight to send me two of his econet hub pcbs :D so I proceeded to built up the second board. This time, I’m powering the board via a couple of pin headers via an arduino. The hub is now working very nicely, and I’ve successfully programmed the attiny, and used it to form an econet between my BBC Master and my RiscPC (fitted with my glorious econet module podule :oops: as described here http://www.stardot.org.uk/forums/viewto ... 60#p202469).

This hub is a really neat and efficient way to quickly set up an Econet, combining as it does the clock, terminators, and hub in one. If there was an Econet solution for the Raspberry Pi :?: , then a Pi together with this hub would make a very portable Econet solution........
0A30991C-DF2E-4F4C-B206-055E8B079EDC.jpeg
Second attempt at myelin’s Econet hub......
Here’s JGH’s natty Talk Econet conferencer running on the RiscPC to chat with my Beeb:
B9DD3653-1B50-4836-B997-3BF2C5E21230.jpeg
Econet Talk

1024MAK

Post by 1024MAK » Sun May 06, 2018 3:20 pm

Your workspace is just as tidy as mine! :lol:

Shame you let the magic smoke out. Has to be said, I'm not a fan of all the small form factor USB connectors :(
Give me the 2.1mm/5.5mm power connectors any day.

Mark
For a "Complete BBC Games Archive" visit www.bbcmicro.co.uk NOW!
BeebWiki‬ - for answers to many questions...

myelin

Post by myelin » Sun May 06, 2018 7:51 pm

Nice work! This is the first successful econet setup using my hub design, as I haven’t gotten my own one working yet :)

That module podule (which I thought had to be a typo at first, before taking a look and finally understanding the joke :) ) looks very nice also.
SW/EE from New Zealand, now in San Francisco, making BBC/Electron hardware projects for fun.
Most popular: fast serial port, FX2+PiTubeDirect Tube/Cartridge adapter, USB cart interface.

lcww1

Post by lcww1 » Sun May 06, 2018 10:05 pm

1024MAK wrote:Your workspace is just as tidy as mine! :lol:
I’m congenitally messy, alas! And my tendency to do too many things at once doesn’t help ......... :?
myelin wrote:module podule (which I thought had to be a typo at first, before taking a look and finally understanding the joke :)
I’m afraid that I couldn’t resist that bit of silliness :D

myelin

Post by myelin » Mon May 07, 2018 12:07 am

1024MAK wrote:Shame you let the magic smoke out. Has to be said, I'm not a fan of all the small form factor USB connectors :(
Give me the 2.1mm/5.5mm power connectors any day.
I feel that micro USB is becoming the new standard for powering stuff at 5V thanks to ubiquitous USB power supplies, but I can see if I can fit a barrel jack on the next version of the board :)
SW/EE from New Zealand, now in San Francisco, making BBC/Electron hardware projects for fun.
Most popular: fast serial port, FX2+PiTubeDirect Tube/Cartridge adapter, USB cart interface.

ask_nz

Post by ask_nz » Mon May 07, 2018 7:52 am

What a great idea - Kiwi ingenuity ;)
Ade

1024MAK

Post by 1024MAK » Mon May 07, 2018 8:15 am

myelin wrote:I feel that micro USB is becoming the new standard for powering stuff at 5V thanks to ubiquitous USB power supplies...
Yes. It's okay for low power electronics which is what the intended purpose was. But from a power engineering point of view, it's all a bit of a mess. Low voltage distribution meaning that for any significant amount of power you need higher currents. USB cables made with thin conductors causing voltages losses. Small connectors with small contacts that further increase voltage losses. Hard for the consumer to tell cheap USB power only cables from USB data cables...
myelin wrote:...but I can see if I can fit a barrel jack on the next version of the board :)
That would be much appreciated :wink:
I'd be interested in buying a new board :mrgreen:

Mark
For a "Complete BBC Games Archive" visit www.bbcmicro.co.uk NOW!
BeebWiki‬ - for answers to many questions...

lcww1

Post by lcww1 » Mon May 07, 2018 8:59 am

1024MAK wrote: I'd be interested in buying a new board :mrgreen:
I’d like to build a couple of these hubs, and add some casing to provide protection and longevity - I’m thinking that one easy solution would be to wire up panel mount DIN sockets rather than using pcb mounted sockets (just like in the Acorn Econet bridge), and then put the thing together in the same way as the retro-kit Econet socket box shown here https://www.retro-kit.co.uk/page.cfm/co ... ocket-Box/. In building the hub this way, one could then happily provide power via a panel mount jack socket wired to the board, without needing to change the pcb :D

myelin

Post by myelin » Mon May 07, 2018 4:39 pm

1024MAK wrote:I'd be interested in buying a new board :mrgreen:
lcww1 wrote:I’d like to build a couple of these hubs, and add some casing to provide protection and longevity
I believe I have 7 more PCBs, and I doubt I'll want to make more of them for myself, because I have less than 5 Econet capable machines, so if either of you would like, I can post you a couple (a couple more, in Liam's case) PCBs.

I'm pretty sure I'm going to do a second version of this board in any case, so feel free to throw in suggestions here! So far my own notes are:

- add mounting holes
- fix the attiny85 footprint and make more room around it for soldering/desoldering when the Econet sockets are mounted
- barrel jack power input
- maybe add another two sockets (stretching the board out another 20mm or so)

Liam -- are the holes for the PCB-mount sockets big enough that you could use them to wire up panel mount sockets? If not, there are two headers on the top left of the board that are wired into the Econet signals, so you could use those for two sockets. I could also just resize the board to exactly fit a case, or a case could be 3D printed to match the board, which would give you a nice solid fit.

lcww1

Post by lcww1 » Mon May 07, 2018 5:51 pm

myelin wrote:so if either of you would like, I can post you a couple (a couple more, in Liam's case) PCBs.
That is a most generous offer Phil! I’d be very happy to have a couple more of these pcbs, now that I’ve figured out how to build the hub! :oops:
But, I don’t want to stand in the way of anyone else that may like one. So, if there are other takers, then I could happily wait on your revised version :)
myelin wrote:are the holes for the PCB-mount sockets big enough that you could use them to wire up panel mount sockets?
Yes, I think the holes are fine as they are for soldering in some hookup wire to DIN sockets.

Resizing the board to fit an existing case would be great, but a 3D printed case would give me an excuse to get a 3D printer.......

ask_nz

Post by ask_nz » Fri May 11, 2018 8:24 am

I would love one - if that's possible? Would you mind posting to NZ?

Ade
Ade

myelin

Post by myelin » Fri May 11, 2018 8:31 am

I’ll absolutely post to NZ :) PM me your address (Mark, can you do that too?) and I’ll drop one in the mail for you!

myelin

Post by myelin » Fri May 11, 2018 9:03 pm

I've just packed up two for Liam, two for Mark, and one for ask_nz (who still needs to send me an address). There are only two PCBs left now, so anyone else who wants one should get in quick :) (I'll do another board order in a bit, but if you want one now, PM me...)

lcww1

Post by lcww1 » Fri May 11, 2018 9:48 pm

Many thanks Phil :D

simoni

Post by simoni » Sat May 12, 2018 7:06 am

I'm assuming that the ATTiny is still running my Econet clock firmware? It's been really cool to watch this evolve from my "I need a Econet clock!" moment , all the way to an all-singing, all-dancing Econet solution. Nice work chaps :)

lcww1

Post by lcww1 » Sat May 12, 2018 7:36 am

Hi Simon,

Apologies, I should have made it clear in my first post that the Econet hub runs a modified version of your Econet clock 2 firmware - Phil modified your code to allow for the absence of the clock speed DIP switches, so the clock speed is fixed at the rate defined in the firmware - by default it’s set at 5us clock period, 1us mark

The modified code is on myelin’s github -

https://github.com/myelin/EconetClock2/ ... onetClock2

Your clock, and this hub, open up some really interesting possibilities for further Econet development and fun :D

myelin

Post by myelin » Sat May 12, 2018 7:38 am

simoni wrote:I'm assuming that the ATTiny is still running my Econet clock firmware? It's been really cool to watch this evolve from my "I need a Econet clock!" moment , all the way to an all-singing, all-dancing Econet solution. Nice work chaps :)
Yep! It's running your code, with a small modification (here's the diff) that fixes the clock to the 1us+4us (200kHz) setting, because I didn't think to put DIP switches on my board for speed selection :)

simoni

Post by simoni » Sat May 12, 2018 9:10 am

Very cool stuff :)

As a thought, you might want to put solder bridge pads on your next revision to set the speed. Just a couple of closely spaced SMD pads that you can drag solder across. It's a very cheap DIP switch :) There are two types in KiCAD, one open and the other has a small link which you can slice with a small knife (depends if you want the default to be on/off).

That way it's possible for the user to mod the board speed without a programmer (and you don't get to add an expensive DIP switch).

simoni

Post by simoni » Sat May 12, 2018 9:13 am

Apologies, I should have made it clear in my first post that the Econet hub runs a modified version of your Econet clock 2 firmware
That wasn't what I was after - the code is open-source and you are welcome to use it in anyway you like (following the GPL of course) - I don't need a mention every time; I'm not *that* vain :D I was just curious!

marcusjambler

Post by marcusjambler » Thu May 24, 2018 1:04 pm

Hi

I'm interested in an econet hub if/when they are available.

Marcus

ask_nz

Post by ask_nz » Thu May 24, 2018 7:54 pm

myelin wrote:I've just packed up two for Liam, two for Mark, and one for ask_nz (who still needs to send me an address). There are only two PCBs left now, so anyone else who wants one should get in quick :) (I'll do another board order in a bit, but if you want one now, PM me...)
Many thanks Phil - mine arrived today :D :D :D

Cheers

A.
Ade