Soldering and Hotair station options

for bbc micro/electron hardware, peripherals & programming issues (NOT emulators!)
dominicbeesley

Re: Soldering and Hotair station options

Post by dominicbeesley » Mon Apr 23, 2018 9:54 am

This one looks the business https://www.pcb-soldering.co.uk/aoyue-2 ... ation.html

Even looks to have a fume extractor for the soldering iron. I did a lot of soldering this past couple of weeks and the fumes are pretty horrible!

D

jonb

Post by jonb » Mon Apr 23, 2018 11:12 am

I'm using a Hakko FX-888D and the Duratool desoldering station.

Can't speak too highly of the Hakko, it's the business. I really missed it in the garage last week when I was soldering some flying leads to a pair of car speakers I was installing. I was using an Antec 15w iron that I've had for decades, but I really should have carried the Hakko out there!

The Duratool desoldering rig is good value for money. I doubt it's the best one out there, but as long as it is kept clear and the solder reservoir emptied regularly and cleaned, I think it's excellent for a hobbyist. Spare filters are useful (it comes with a few of them) so buy them if you find them cheap.

Bagpuss

Post by Bagpuss » Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:16 pm

Just ordered the Aoyue 2703A as a result of the recommendations in the thread, and actually seeing Phill's 2702 unit at ABug.

Until the end of this week, PCB Soldering are offering a 20% discount on it. It's not on the website any more, but if you phone up and ask for Justin then he can sort it out for you. I paid £224 incl. VAT and carriage.

That brings me to another subject. The unit comes with one 2B conical tip, which looks like it will suit me okay (I usually use a conical tip).
However, I'm wondering what other tips might be useful, as I know others favour the bevel or chisel tips. As there's a 10% discount code valid for today only, I'm thinking it would be sensible to order some additional tips. I'd like to be able to do some SMD work and also some drag soldering, so any thoughts on the best tips would be appreciated.

The range of tips for the 2703 can be found here.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams, Mostly Harmless.

1024MAK

Post by 1024MAK » Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:48 pm

I prefer chisel tips. On my soldering irons, I use a small one for use on SMD and small through hole pads (1mm). A medium size for general work (2.3mm 3mm), and a 4mm or 5mm where there is a lot of copper or metal that needs heating up. The larger tip is good for soldering/desoldering things like the capacitors on the Beeb PSU for example.

The only conical tips that I own, are what were supplied with the irons. And as soon as I get replacements, they go into the parts drawer.

Mark

danielj

Post by danielj » Thu Jun 21, 2018 5:49 pm

For drag soldering I use one that's the BC shape from hakko - I'm sure there's equivalent for your iron: https://www.hakko.com/english/tip_selec ... _bc_c.html

Elminster

Post by Elminster » Thu Jun 21, 2018 6:32 pm

Bagpuss wrote:
Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:16 pm
Just ordered the Aoyue 2703A as a result of the recommendations in the thread, and actually seeing Phill's 2702 unit at ABug.
Hampshire? Were you there on Saturday, I was using my 2703a all day, I have half a dozen tips but tend to use pointy one rather than the chisel, even though it is nearly illegal

Edit: PCB Soldering was where I got my tips from, they were quick, think I had them in one or two days.
Last edited by Elminster on Thu Jun 21, 2018 6:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Elminster

Post by Elminster » Thu Jun 21, 2018 6:48 pm

Can you guess which tip I use most (Dont tell Mark if you work it out!)
Attachments
IMG_3898.jpg
IMG_3897.jpg

Bagpuss

Post by Bagpuss » Thu Jun 21, 2018 10:38 pm

Thanks Guys. Your feedback is much appreciated.
I've ordered a range of sizes that have the profile similar to the BC for the Hakko.
It comes with a pointy tip, so that should keep me going for now. Also ordered some flux and braid, so should be good to go. :-)

On the ABug side of things, then I was the guy trying to get the Apple II's working.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams, Mostly Harmless.

Elminster

Post by Elminster » Thu Jun 21, 2018 11:23 pm

Bagpuss wrote:
Thu Jun 21, 2018 10:38 pm

On the ABug side of things, then I was the guy trying to get the Apple II's working.
Ah yes, who can forget people diving head first into the apples. Would have liked to have had a look see myself but never got the time. We need two week ABUG boot camps.

I also use Mark’s other tip all the time, bluetac. I find it much more useful than helping ha sd.