Master floppy interface not working

for bbc micro/electron hardware, peripherals & programming issues (NOT emulators!)
Bagpuss

Master floppy interface not working

Post by Bagpuss » Sat Mar 31, 2018 6:54 pm

I'm on a bit of a roll with getting my old Beebs running at the moment.

Just dug my second Master Turbo out of the loft, and everything works apart from the floppy interface.
I've cleaned up the pins and confirmed the continuity between the connector and the opposite end of the cable.
Plugging in either my Gotek or a real floppy drive results in no activity whenever I try to catalogue a disk. I just get a flashing cursor.

All the configure options are standard.

Just wondering where to start, given that pretty much nothing is socketed?
Machine is an issue 1, with a WD1770 FDC.

Any thoughts would be much appreciated.

Andy.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams, Mostly Harmless.

vanekp

Re: Master floppy interface not working

Post by vanekp » Sat Mar 31, 2018 7:47 pm

is the DFS ROM enables and does it show the DFS when you switch on the master "Acorn 1770 DFS"
couple be if the master has been laying for so long that the battery is flat for the CMOS and it's lost its settings, would also check it has not leaked out onto anywhere.
Peter.

Bagpuss

Re: Master floppy interface not working

Post by Bagpuss » Sat Mar 31, 2018 8:59 pm

All the basics have been done. Changed the caps in the PSU. All voltages are good under load. DFS is the default.
CMOS battery has been replaced with a new lithium pack from RetroClinic.

Everything is identical to my other Master in terms of configuration, and it works just fine.
I'm beginning to suspect a hardware fault somewhere in the disk circuitry, so I was wondering if there are any common problems in this area.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams, Mostly Harmless.