TurboMMC removing a software diskimage

for bbc micro/electron hardware, peripherals & programming issues (NOT emulators!)
BadProgram

TurboMMC removing a software diskimage

Post by BadProgram » Tue Mar 27, 2018 6:36 pm

Hi i was not able to find a way to delete a disk image i have made on the turboMMC card.
to be sure i mean when you do a *DCAT and your disks are numbered, how can i delete ones
ive made ? . is it possible to format a disk again once its already been formatted ?

one of the disks when loaded will crash upon a "CAT.

thanks.

trixster

Re: TurboMMC removing a software diskimage

Post by trixster » Tue Mar 27, 2018 7:01 pm

I'm sure there's a better way to do it, but I remove the MMC, put it into my PC, load the BeebMMC software (or whatever it's called, it's on the TurboMMC CD), mount the BEEB.MMB image and then use the software to delete the .ssd. It would be worth making a backup of BEEB.MMB first before you start editing it!
Last edited by trixster on Tue Mar 27, 2018 7:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A3020 | A3000 | A420/1 | BBC B | Master Turbo | ZX48K | NeoGeo
Atom | Amiga A4000 | A3000 | A1200 | A500 | PC Engine | Enterprise
Falcon | Saturn | PS1 | SNES | CPC6128 | C64 | 3DO | MD | Jaguar | X68000 | CD32

tricky

Post by tricky » Tue Mar 27, 2018 7:03 pm

Remember to (un?)select Protect in the menu, otherwise you can't "kill" the image.

CMcDougall

Post by CMcDougall » Tue Mar 27, 2018 7:22 pm

If its unprotected , just do *FORM 80 0
when you have the bad disc in 0

or *UNPROTECT 0 , then above.

All done on beeb.

OR bad disc in 0

*ACCESS *.*
*TITLE"blank80"
*OPT 4 3
*DESTROY *.*
ImageImageImage

rharper

Post by rharper » Wed Mar 28, 2018 10:55 am

*ENABLE
*DKILL disk number

Ray
Raycomp

duikkie

Post by duikkie » Wed Mar 28, 2018 5:28 pm

why don't they not read the manual ? even by turbommc is a manual , allso by SMART-SPI , i don't know about the MM software rom ?

hoglet

Post by hoglet » Wed Mar 28, 2018 5:33 pm

duikkie wrote:why don't they not read the manual ? even by turbommc is a manual , allso by SMART-SPI , i don't know about the MM software rom ?
MMFS has a nice manual:
https://github.com/hoglet67/MMFS/wiki/Command-Reference

duikkie

Post by duikkie » Wed Mar 28, 2018 6:20 pm

oke now we have only to worry about why people don't read the manual #-o , allthough we know that the mind products are simple and easy to use , lol ( o i hate that line :lol: )
hoglet wrote:
duikkie wrote:why don't they not read the manual ? even by turbommc is a manual , allso by SMART-SPI , i don't know about the MM software rom ?
MMFS has a nice manual:
https://github.com/hoglet67/MMFS/wiki/Command-Reference

vanekp

Post by vanekp » Wed Mar 28, 2018 6:23 pm

MMC has has a number of useful manuals with it but for the commands you need to look at mmc-card\DUTILS.pdf
Peter.

BadProgram

Post by BadProgram » Thu Mar 29, 2018 8:14 pm

thanks for all the replays , i assure you all i had spent a few nights going through the excellent turboMMC documentation, perhaps i misread something, I'm only a bodger trying to enjoy my micro cheers.

tricky

Post by tricky » Fri Mar 30, 2018 5:59 am

We all usually learn something from any questions :)

duikkie

Post by duikkie » Fri Mar 30, 2018 7:35 am

how is that possible "excellent turboMMC " :shock: :D , but forgive us here [-o< , turbommc is OLD. but on the other side i think the command's for removing a *din is also there.

so if you can read more about the hole MMC system and what on this forum is written about it , the cheap MMC thing , the SMART-SPI thing , the MMfs :mrgreen: thing, and a hole lot more, you will discover that a lot is changed by time.

also read eeprom 28c256 hole thing , so you can have an other rom , and update some things .

stay and learn read , if i have time left i will finish the USERDOS rom , for simple and easy :^o [-X , puting your dos sd card with ssd file directly in your beeb userport sd system.

for now you must use beeb.mmb file with ssd files in it.

maybe i did make the mistake , and did you read the hole manual but did you not understand it. mostly the fault of any programmer because he/she spent a lot of time makking something and can not see how that will not be ( simple and easy to understand :lol: )

BadProgram wrote:thanks for all the replays , i assure you all i had spent a few nights going through the excellent turboMMC documentation, perhaps i misread something, I'm only a bodger trying to enjoy my micro cheers.

richardtoohey

Post by richardtoohey » Fri Mar 30, 2018 7:43 am

I'm quite happy with my TurboMMCs.

There are cheaper and possibly better and perhaps both cheaper and better options, but I've had no trouble.

Building my own has just led to ](*,) :-x :( :-({|=

YMMV.

duikkie

Post by duikkie » Fri Mar 30, 2018 8:51 am

but but but it is so easy and simple :evil:

richardtoohey wrote:I'm quite happy with my TurboMMCs.

There are cheaper and possibly better and perhaps both cheaper and better options, but I've had no trouble.

Building my own has just led to ](*,) :-x :( :-({|=

YMMV.

danielj

Post by danielj » Fri Mar 30, 2018 8:53 am

What is easy and simple for one, is not necessarily so for another! :)

d.

duikkie

Post by duikkie » Fri Mar 30, 2018 8:57 am

that i do not understand :) very difficult for me :)
danielj wrote:What is easy and simple for one, is not necessarily so for another! :)

d.

BadProgram

Post by BadProgram » Fri Mar 30, 2018 5:29 pm

oh I'm easily pleased, i was only looking for a disk drive replacement so for me TurboMMC is still a blooming fantastic option for file keeping, better than i could have ever dreamed. thanks again for the help.

trixster

Post by trixster » Fri Mar 30, 2018 7:32 pm

I will also state that I am perfectly happy with my TurboMMC in my BBC B; I think it is a great product at a reasonable price for people like me who appreciate a turn-key solution with excellent documentation and support from the designer. I would recommend it to anyone even though I completely understand that there are cheaper, newer DIY solutions out there, as well as amazing alternatives like the DataCentre. Horses for courses, each to their own, YMMV... but I don't think anyone taking swipes at the TurboMMC (even if tongue in cheek) is particularly helpful or warranted. [-X
A3020 | A3000 | A420/1 | BBC B | Master Turbo | ZX48K | NeoGeo
Atom | Amiga A4000 | A3000 | A1200 | A500 | PC Engine | Enterprise
Falcon | Saturn | PS1 | SNES | CPC6128 | C64 | 3DO | MD | Jaguar | X68000 | CD32

richardtoohey

Post by richardtoohey » Sat Mar 31, 2018 12:37 am

trixster wrote:II don't think anyone taking swipes at the TurboMMC (even if tongue in cheek) is particularly helpful or warranted. [-X
That's what I was trying to get at, thank you.

I've kept quiet when there's been sniping at TurboMMC over the last wee while but I feel like it's getting a bit over-the-top now. Every time MMC is mentioned, someone has a go at TurboMMC. It's not constructive or useful to do so.

Feel free to say why you find option X or Y better/cheaper/faster (if relevant to the question!), but please don't bother slagging off TurboMMC (especially when the poster is asking for "how do I do X with TurboMMC?")

If someone says "how do I make my Toyota Corolla turn better" there's no point in saying "you should have bought a Ford" (or whatever). Or "how do I do this in Windows" ... don't tell them to use Linux instead.

Getting down off my soapbox now. :-

Andrewcee

Post by Andrewcee » Sat Mar 31, 2018 7:39 am

Brilliant system, easy to use too. Have one each on my Beeb & Master, makes moving files around easy, to/from PC too. What's not to like?

richardtoohey

Post by richardtoohey » Sat Mar 31, 2018 8:04 am

Well, there is this, for example: http://www.stardot.org.uk/forums/viewto ... 26#p199205

:-k

So it's not perfect (what is?). But I'm getting a bit over the constant sniping at it. (My Spectrum is cheaper than your BBC B!)

tricky

Post by tricky » Sat Mar 31, 2018 8:13 am

I have half typed this several times now.

I wouldn't have got back into beeb coding if I hadn't seen the TurboMMC on eBay and if it hadn't worked as advertised.

I have made over 20 readers for my display machines and friends, which has been very time consuming and frustrating at times.

I would like to thank Martin Mather again for coming up with the original design and software.
(Hope I have that correct)

I would also like to thank duikkie and hoglet and all the others for their software improvements.

duikkie

Post by duikkie » Sat Mar 31, 2018 9:02 am

the problem with the turbo mmc rom and older is , the modern sd card and the dos file beeb.mmb finding.
not all sd cards will work . so we have updated the system . so all sd card with SPI work and where ever beeb.mmb is on your sd card.

but mmc cards with turbo mmc works fine , but can you still find them? cheap ??
and how long is FAT an option on modern PC ?

rharper

Post by rharper » Sat Mar 31, 2018 1:19 pm

Also, I think the Turbo MMC card is the only one that will work with the BBC Master 128 Econet port : User Port adapter that works at 2MHz and frees the User Port for a mouse, etc.
Ray
Raycomp

hoglet

Post by hoglet » Sat Mar 31, 2018 2:28 pm

rharper wrote:Also, I think the Turbo MMC card is the only one that will work with the BBC Master 128 Econet port : User Port adapter that works at 2MHz and frees the User Port for a mouse, etc.
MMFS will work with this adaptor (at &FEA0), but it's not quite as fast as I haven't got around to optimising it for 2MHz operation.

duikkie

Post by duikkie » Sat Mar 31, 2018 3:53 pm

if the userport for a mouse use pb0 and pb1 then allso turbo mmc card and it's rom will not work. the only rom that can handle other lines then pb0 and pb1 is SMART-SPI :)
rharper wrote:Also, I think the Turbo MMC card is the only one that will work with the BBC Master 128 Econet port : User Port adapter that works at 2MHz and frees the User Port for a mouse, etc.
Ray

rharper

Post by rharper » Mon Apr 02, 2018 1:44 pm

If you look at the relevant thread viewtopic.php?p=144573#p144573 you will see that the econet user port address is altered so that the normal user port can be used with a mouse, etc.
My Master 128 with the Turbo MMC card in the 2MHz Econet User Port + Modified MMC ROM + 65C02 second processor + mouse fairly zips along.
Ray
duikkie wrote:if the userport for a mouse use pb0 and pb1 then allso turbo mmc card and it's rom will not work. the only rom that can handle other lines then pb0 and pb1 is SMART-SPI :)
Ray
Raycomp