A noob trying to figure out using files with a DataCentre

for bbc micro/electron hardware, peripherals & programming issues (NOT emulators!)
BBCNoob

A noob trying to figure out using files with a DataCentre

Post by BBCNoob » Thu Mar 08, 2018 1:23 pm

I can import .SSD and .DSD files from a USB stick, and that's about as far as I get.

I don't seem to be able to copy files from a USB stick to a CF card I have installed with a DataCentre, or back again?

Is this even possible?

RobC

Re: A noob trying to figure out using files with a DataCentre

Post by RobC » Thu Mar 08, 2018 1:43 pm

I'm pretty sure I've imported an SSD image to one of the RAM drives and then used one of the utility programs to bulk copy between the RAM drive and the ADFS hard drive. Think I used CopyFiles - might be called CopyF in the Library folder of your DC hard drive. It did take me a while to work out how to do it though.

Mostly I tend to use DFS Explorer and ADFS Explorer for things like this as you can drag and drop files between them.

EDIT:There's also USBFIler which will allow you to copy files (but not files inside SSD images) directly between the USB stick and a host filing system.

rharper

Post by rharper » Thu Mar 08, 2018 3:38 pm

For bulk transfers I find XFER (on the ADT 2 utility ROM) does the job simply.
*XFER RAM ADFS
will trasfer all files on the current RAM disc to the current ADFS directory.
*XFER ADFS RAM for vice versa though filenames must be 7 or fewer characters.

For BASIC files you can LOAD ":5.filename" from the current USB directory, then SAVE "filename" to RAM or *ADFS first for the CF card.
For ROM images, machine code, etc. you need to know the length of the file in hexadecimal. e.g. *LOAD :5.filename 3000 then *SAVE filename 3000 +length
Ray
Raycomp

EdwardianDuck

Post by EdwardianDuck » Thu Mar 08, 2018 4:15 pm

USBFiler will also copy a file larger than available RAM from USB to BBC, which is potentially useful. Unfortunately copying from BBC to USB isn't implemented, although the documentation suggests that it is.

Edit, or at least as far as I can see.

Jeremy
Master 128 + RetroClinic DataCentre + Internal Pi Zero Coprocessor, MiST

MartinB

Post by MartinB » Thu Mar 08, 2018 4:26 pm

If all you Datacentre ninjas (which is definitely not me) could look at the Wimodem232 thread, you'll see that he particularly wants to grab a rom file off the net and get to a point where he can *SRLOAD it into his Master so any straighforward step-by-step guide to get to that point would be very much appreciated I suspect.

RobC

Post by RobC » Thu Mar 08, 2018 4:59 pm

MartinB wrote:If all you Datacentre ninjas (which is definitely not me) could look at the Wimodem232 thread, you'll see that he particularly wants to grab a rom file off the net and get to a point where he can *SRLOAD it into his Master so any straighforward step-by-step guide to get to that point would be very much appreciated I suspect.
This is how I do it...

Code: Select all

*RAM
*DRIVE 5
*LOAD filename 3000
*ADFS
*SAVE filename 3000+4000 8000 8000
Change filename to the name of the ROM image you want to load/save and make sure that you keep the "save" filename to 10 characters or less.

If you know then length of the ROM image, you can change the "4000" to the length in hex. Also, you can do *DIR immediately after the *ADFS command to navigate to a sub-directory.

BBCNoob

Post by BBCNoob » Thu Mar 08, 2018 6:44 pm

Thanks...

I followed the guide by RobC, and then the guide that MartinB gave me in the other thread for *SRLOAD.

I'm trying to use the rom COMSTAR352

*ROMS shows

RAM 7 Commstar 3045 00

I've read the manual for Commstar and it states that *COMMSTAR or *C* is the command to get it going.

But my BBC Master tells me, "This is not a language"

and that's that.

So I'm still stuck.

MartinB

Post by MartinB » Thu Mar 08, 2018 7:07 pm

You've done all the right things but sadly (for you) it seems that Commstar (all versions) isn't compatible with the Master :roll: - I've just tried all three versions in BeebEm and get the same failure as you whereas in a Model B, they all work fine. So, unless someone knows any tricks here, you need to pick a different comms rom assuming you can find another where the manual is also available.

crj

Post by crj » Thu Mar 08, 2018 7:29 pm

It's probably as simple as setting bit 6 of byte 6 of the ROM image. The Master's OS checks that a ROM is a language before allowing it to be entered as one, whereas OSBYTE 142 on earlier machines will - for better or worse - try to run just about anything!

MartinB

Post by MartinB » Thu Mar 08, 2018 7:40 pm

I changed byte 6 (column 05) from its original $8F to $CF and the Master then just hangs at <Ctrl><Break>.....

Commstar.JPG
Was that the change you meant?

MartinB

Post by MartinB » Thu Mar 08, 2018 7:50 pm

Silly me #-o, you meant byte 6 counting from 0 so the $82 to $C2 and when you do that, it works.... :wink:

Here's the modified Master-compatible 352 version....
commstar.zip
(5.56 KiB) Downloaded 23 times

jgharston

Post by jgharston » Thu Mar 08, 2018 7:55 pm

And just to confirm, the USB drive on drive 5 in RAMFS only supports LOAD, SAVE, IMPORT and EXPORT. It is not a full filing system, so anything that depends on anything other than those four functions - such as copying (open/read/write/close), most SRLOAD/SRSAVE commands (open/read/write/close), *DUMP/*TYPE/*DUMP (open/read/close) - will not work.

Code: Select all

$ bbcbasic
PDP11 BBC BASIC IV Version 0.25
(C) Copyright J.G.Harston 1989,2005-2015
>_

BBCNoob

Post by BBCNoob » Thu Mar 08, 2018 8:50 pm

Thank you very much everyone!

The now tweaked rom to work on the master, not only loads up, but actually connects up to a BBS site.

There's something rather fun watching retro computers use modern tech to get onto the BBS sites again.

Thanks again! :)