Floppy imaging with BeebSCSI

for bbc micro/electron hardware, peripherals & programming issues (NOT emulators!)
simoni

Floppy imaging with BeebSCSI

Post by simoni » Sat Feb 24, 2018 6:29 pm

Recently I've wanted to make some backups of floppy discs with as little hassle as possible. What I wanted was to read the floppies and write the images directly to my (BeebSCSI) SCSI drive as adl/ssd/dsd images. Then I could image lots of discs and simply pull all the files from the BeebSCSI SDcard in one go using ADFS explorer.

The issue is that the floppies are usually DFS, but you need to be in ADFS to access the SCSI drive.

I found a couple of utilities on MDFS.net (thanks JGH!) that seem to do the trick, but the command lines are a little tricky, so I thought I'd post my experience here to save others the time I spent figuring it out :) These are the commands that seem to work (on my BBC Master 128, but should be the same on the Beeb):

ADFS: CHAIN "DISKTOIMG 5 :0.$.image/adl -size 640K Q0"

Double-sided DFS: CHAIN "DISKTOIMG 5 :0.$.image/dsd -size 400K Q0"

Single-sided DFS: CHAIN "DISKTOIMG 5 :0.$.image/ssd -size 200K"

These copy the disk in ADFS floppy drive 5 (the second floppy; use '4' for the first) and put the resulting image into the root directory of the first SCSI LUN (the filename of 'image/adl' can be replaced with anything valid that you like).

The utility is available from MDFS.net: http://mdfs.net/Apps/DiskTools/
but to make life easy I've also made a (Gotek with flashfloppy) compatible .adl floppy image containing the utilities (attached).

The command always seems to end with a "Bad command" error (no idea why) - but seems to work any way. If anyone has any other/better suggestions then I'd love to hear them :)

Edit: This has only been lightly tested so far - so please feedback if it doesn't work for you
Attachments
DiscImageUtils.zip
ZIP of the .adl file
(8.06 KiB) Downloaded 14 times

jgharston

Re: Floppy imaging with BeebSCSI

Post by jgharston » Sun Feb 25, 2018 7:48 pm

simoni wrote:The command always seems to end with a "Bad command" error (no idea why) - but seems to work any way. If anyone has any other/better suggestions then I'd love to hear them :)
Just checked: it ends with a *SetType which should be surrounded by an ON ERROR for platforms that don't have a *SetType command. I'll tweek that for the next update.

Code: Select all

$ bbcbasic
PDP11 BBC BASIC IV Version 0.25
(C) Copyright J.G.Harston 1989,2005-2015
>_

simoni

Re: Floppy imaging with BeebSCSI

Post by simoni » Sun Feb 25, 2018 7:52 pm

Thanks Jonathan; It didn't seem to be anything serious (as the images looked ok) :)