Migrating from Turbo MMC to Data Centre

for bbc micro/electron hardware, peripherals & programming issues (NOT emulators!)
hiddenevil

Migrating from Turbo MMC to Data Centre

Post by hiddenevil » Sat Jan 27, 2018 7:53 pm

I wasn't sure what title to give this post that would sum up exactly what I wanted to touch upon.

After the last Abug meeting, I returned home and installed an internal data centre in my model B. Thus far, human error aside, I think its a grand bit of kit :D

Now I dont claim to know bog all about the Turbo MMC as it was gifted me by a friend. I know the MMC contains a single BEEB.MMB file full of games, which has been handy to have on more then one occasion. As I have a data centre now, I was wondering if there was any way I could transfer the contents of the MMC on to a usb pen and still make use of the games+menu system.

Thought I'd pose the question, as I'm sure some bright spark might have thought the same :D

danielj

Re: Migrating from Turbo MMC to Data Centre

Post by danielj » Sat Jan 27, 2018 7:57 pm

Someone tried to do this, but I don't think it worked very well as I recall :? Lemme have a dig...

d.

hiddenevil

Post by hiddenevil » Sat Jan 27, 2018 8:05 pm

Thanks matey

I'm just wondering if I need to keep my Turbo MMC rom in my system or if i can let the DC take over.

leenew

Post by leenew » Sat Jan 27, 2018 8:07 pm

It would be a great idea if someone were able to suck all of the SSDs from bbcmicro.co.uk and create a good datacentre menu.
It may be easier using the 130 odd DSDs that the SSDs are derived from, rather than using the 2300 odd SSDs?
Didn't Sweh create a Perl script to perform something like this?

Lee.

danielj

Post by danielj » Sat Jan 27, 2018 8:15 pm

Do we have a nice zip of the Mick collection? I've just done the STH collection to HFE for the goteks... The problem is getting around to writing something that swaps the discs in and out appropriately...

leenew

Post by leenew » Sat Jan 27, 2018 10:36 pm

see pm's daniel...

RobC

Post by RobC » Sat Jan 27, 2018 11:08 pm

There's DCBeeb which implements the MMC game menu on the DC:
http://home.kindredintellect.com/beeb/Software/DCBeeb/

I've always used it "as-is" so don't know whether it can be adapted to incorporate your own disk images.

hiddenevil

Post by hiddenevil » Sun Jan 28, 2018 5:25 pm

Does this contain the same titles as the beeb.mmb?

danielj

Post by danielj » Sun Jan 28, 2018 5:36 pm

Roughly, I think?
d.

CMcDougall

Post by CMcDougall » Sun Jan 28, 2018 5:53 pm

The link to the DCbeeb menu system works exactly same as the mmc (exept all SSDs without .SSD extension)
It is on the DataCenter CD that comes with it.

Copy the folder onto your USB stick, load menu into DC disc0, boot, off it goes (can confirm works)
ImageImageImage

hiddenevil

Post by hiddenevil » Mon Jan 29, 2018 2:18 pm

When I get back to my Beeb later this week, I might have to quiz you on how to do some of this :-)

I'm wasn't entirely clear what you meant by "it is on the DataCentre CD" what is on the CD? I've not had a chance to check it out yet as I only had a flipping ultra book and they'd don't come with optical drives anymore Gah! :-(

I know the CD contains some software for playing about with on your DC, but no specifics as to what.

Lardo Boffin

Post by Lardo Boffin » Mon Jan 29, 2018 2:29 pm

The CD contains a file called DCBEEB_games.zip (and another called _menu). The games zip on mine is about 16MB.
Create a folder in the root of the USB called DCBEEB. You unzip the _games.zip into it. Mine then has 238 files in it. These are all the disc images.
You unzip the _menu.zip into the root of the USB stick and this contains a DCBEEB.SSD image which has the menu program in it.
To use it you import the DCBEEB.SSD image to your datacentre (something like *IMPORT 0 5 DCBEEB.SSD) and then you can run the menu program from 0 or whichever drive you chose (5 is the USB stick I think?).
The menu program imports the appropriate disc image based on the menu selection. The imported image overwrites the menu program... Should you wish to try another disc of games you need to reload the menu.ssd!
BBC model B 32k issue 4, 16k sideways RAM, Watford 12 ROM board, Retroclinic Datacentre + HDD, Viglen twin 40/80 5.25" discs, acorn cassette, Acorn 6502 coproc
BBC model B 32k issue 7, turboMMC, Opus Challenger 3 512k, Pi 3 coproc
BBC Master

CMcDougall

Post by CMcDougall » Thu Feb 01, 2018 10:27 am

^ yes , that is same as on the dc CD
ImageImageImage

hiddenevil

Post by hiddenevil » Thu Feb 01, 2018 11:28 pm

Hey everyone

Happy to report that everything is working according to plan, got the menu copied to drive 4 of my DataCenter and was soon playing Starship Commander :D

Had a couple of hiccups along the ways which I'm going to document on my write up of the DC for my website.

doom99

Post by doom99 » Sat Mar 03, 2018 6:58 am

Hi guys, been trying to get DCBEEB to run from my DC but when I get to the loading screen A message pops up saying " Device Detected P2 at line 110"
has anybody got any idea what may be happening? hiddenevil you mentioned you had a few hiccups and was going to write them up on your website mate, could you pass me the web address.

ultrasteve

Post by ultrasteve » Sun May 13, 2018 5:32 pm

I'm sort of in the same boat. I've got DCBEEB up and running no problem, but it would be nice to have the fixed versions from the later (for example Higgy's) .mmb files incorporated.

Lardo Boffin

Post by Lardo Boffin » Sun May 13, 2018 9:55 pm

doom99 wrote:Hi guys, been trying to get DCBEEB to run from my DC but when I get to the loading screen A message pops up saying " Device Detected P2 at line 110"
has anybody got any idea what may be happening? hiddenevil you mentioned you had a few hiccups and was going to write them up on your website mate, could you pass me the web address.
I’m sure I had this error. I think on mine it was down to how the menu program was run, e.g. *exec !boot as opposed to *run !boot or possibly the other way round.
From memory the menu program imports the selected disc from the USB stick when you choose it and then it runs the program on the ssd. I think it is the import stage that is failing.
BBC model B 32k issue 4, 16k sideways RAM, Watford 12 ROM board, Retroclinic Datacentre + HDD, Viglen twin 40/80 5.25" discs, acorn cassette, Acorn 6502 coproc
BBC model B 32k issue 7, turboMMC, Opus Challenger 3 512k, Pi 3 coproc
BBC Master

doom99

Post by doom99 » Mon May 21, 2018 9:38 pm

got it going, once it gives the " Device Detected P2 at line 110" message just type "RUN" and away you go!