RGB to HDMI using a Pi Zero and a small CPLD

discuss both original and modern hardware for the bbc micro/electron
IanB

Re: RGB to HDMI using a Pi Zero and a small CPLD

Post by IanB » Sun Apr 26, 2020 5:01 pm

wjnuk wrote:
Sun Apr 26, 2020 3:43 pm
Just a quick update. I had chance this weekend to isolate pins 39 and 40. This did the trick. Cursor now behaving and CPLD programmed through pi fine. Everything now works flawlessly. Thank you so much for the suggestions. I got there in the end with a little help! The whole family are loving it.
Glad you got it sorted out. I'm still not sure why or how those pins were causing the issue though.

hoglet

Post by hoglet » Sun Apr 26, 2020 6:41 pm

wjnuk wrote:
Sun Apr 26, 2020 3:43 pm
Just a quick update. I had chance this weekend to isolate pins 39 and 40. This did the trick. Cursor now behaving and CPLD programmed through pi fine. Everything now works flawlessly. Thank you so much for the suggestions. I got there in the end with a little help! The whole family are loving it.
So I guess your "new" CPLD wasn't actually blank, and was driving pins 39/40.

Where did you buy them from?

Dave

IanB

Post by IanB » Sun Apr 26, 2020 9:06 pm

hoglet wrote:
Sun Apr 26, 2020 6:41 pm
So I guess your "new" CPLD wasn't actually blank, and was driving pins 39/40.
Can you get the CPLD to output 1.6v? Those pins weren't conflicting with any other outputs unless there were multiple shorts as well.

hoglet

Post by hoglet » Sun Apr 26, 2020 9:14 pm

IanB wrote:
Sun Apr 26, 2020 9:06 pm
Can you get the CPLD to output 1.6v? Those pins weren't conflicting with any other outputs unless there were multiple shorts as well.
I guess if it were outputting a square wave with a 50:50 duty cycle, that would measure ~1.6V on a meter. Seems slightly unlikely though.

Dave

wjnuk

Post by wjnuk » Sun Apr 26, 2020 10:50 pm

hoglet wrote:
Sun Apr 26, 2020 9:14 pm
IanB wrote:
Sun Apr 26, 2020 9:06 pm
I guess if it were outputting a square wave with a 50:50 duty cycle, that would measure ~1.6V on a meter. Seems slightly unlikely though.

Dave
I bought the cpld from AliExpress. It came sealed in a tray and unless they cleaned it up very well it looked brand new to me. However as always you take your chances with items shipped from China. At least it works now!

aotta

Post by aotta » Mon Apr 27, 2020 8:59 pm

IanB wrote:
Sat Mar 14, 2020 1:16 pm
aotta wrote:
Sat Mar 14, 2020 12:56 pm
One more (and maybe stupid) question: the ZX81 YUV connection you explained above, does it need the logic board plugin and, in case, a specific Issue?
Yes it needs the analog board plugged in and you connect the ZX81 signals to the analog board. Issue 2 or Issue 3 analog board will work.
Today are arrived the 5 analog boards I've ordered from China, already populated. They cost me a fortune, but seems they made a good work, and I hope they works:
IMG_20200427_153218~01.jpg
Now I'd like to test with Zx81, but not sure how to connect composite signal to the board: I have to send comp to red, green and blue together?

IanB

Post by IanB » Mon Apr 27, 2020 11:12 pm

aotta wrote:
Mon Apr 27, 2020 8:59 pm
Today are arrived the 5 analog boards I've ordered from China, already populated. They cost me a fortune, but seems they made a good work, and I hope they works:
They look nicely made:

Here is one of mine which shows the placement of the 6 way IDC header:
front.jpg
back.jpg
Also note the two pins P6 and P7. They are two pins cut from another header the same type as P2 and fitted on the underside of the board with the ends of the pins then cut off. These act as spacers and rest on top of the Pi zero's camera connector and stop P2 from becoming unplugged when all the boards are assembled.
aotta wrote:
Mon Apr 27, 2020 8:59 pm
Now I'd like to test with Zx81, but not sure how to connect composite signal to the board: I have to send comp to red, green and blue together?
After fitting the analog board it should be detected in the main menu but will default to RGB mode. To get YUV mode for the ZX81 reprogram the CPLD in the info menu to use the YUV CPLD.

You need to make up a 6 way IDC cable to plug into the connector with Pin 1 to ZX81 ground and pins 2 and 4 (sync and green/Y) connected together for the video source.

If the ZX81 is unmodified, you connect Pin1 to ground and the video (2 & 4) to the video input to the modulator via a 220R resistor.
You can modify the insides of the modulator to output the signal on the modulator's phono connector by removing the existing connection and connecting the video in to the phono via the 220R resistor.
Then select the "ZX81 (ULA)" profile. You might need to adjust the sampling menu levels for a stable picture.

If your ZX81 is already modified for composite output then connect pin 1 to ground and pins 2 & 4 to the composite video output then select the "ZX81" profile.
Note I don't have a ZX81 with a composite video mod so you will probably have to adjust the levels in the sampling menu to get a stable locked picture.
Adjust DAC-F for the sync level and then adjust DAC A for the video level.

In both cases you will need to run the Auto calibrate video sampling option (In the main menu or holding down SW3 until it starts) to get clean pixels and when setting up levels, you might have to redo it after tweaking the levels.
Save the config when finshed.

You might need to refresh the genlock as the ZX81 warms up by pressing (not holding) SW3 as it isn't as stable as other computers because it doesn't use a crystal. I'm looking at doing this automatically in a future software version.

Here's mine:
zx81.jpg
Note you can plug a BBC micro into the analog input, connecting the RGB, sync, ground and +5v as normal to the 6 way connector. (Using the RGB CPLD and BBC/Master profile)

6 Way connector is
1 GND
2 SYNC
3 BLUE / U
4 GREEN / Y
5 RED / V
6 +5v input

aotta

Post by aotta » Tue Apr 28, 2020 6:34 pm

With a (big) help from IanB, i succesfully get my analog board working!
Only issue with the default ZX81 profiles was some dirty pixeling in both side of the screen:
capture0.png
As suggested, i simply reduced the max horizontal capture size, and solved with this profile:
ZX81.txt
(151 Bytes) Downloaded 9 times
some others screenshots:
capture2.png
capture3.png

IanB

Post by IanB » Tue Apr 28, 2020 11:08 pm

aotta wrote:
Tue Apr 28, 2020 6:34 pm
As suggested, i simply reduced the max horizontal capture size, and solved with this profile:
Looks great, thanks for the profile.

The Spectrum 48K is connected as follows to the 6 way IDC cable

Pin 1(GND) to ULA pin 40 (GND)
Pin 2 (Sync) to ULA pin 17 (Y)
Pin 3 (Blue/U) to ULA pin 15 (U)
Pin 4 (Green/Y) to ULA pin 17 (Y)
Pin 5 (Red/V) to ULA pin 16 (V)
Pin 6 (+5v) not connected

If you have a spare Spectrum edge connector you can use that instead as the YUV signals appear on the edge connector although on some early issue PCBs you also have to make links to get the signals working.

Note the analog interface can't detect the difference between the bright and normal colours on the 48K Spectrum except white. (It can detect all colours with the later ones like +2A and 3 as they have analog RGB interfaces instead of YUV)

Here is a closeup:
spectrum mod.jpg

Here is the output:
spectrum48k.jpg

I might be getting a bit carried away with this :lol:
micro micros.jpg

aotta

Post by aotta » Tue Apr 28, 2020 11:25 pm

Thank Ian for the zxspectrum wiring, I have some spare joystick adapter I can use for cabling the analog boards, another line in my to do list!
And I read in a previous post that Apple II too can works, did you try it?
And, of course, my compliments for your showroom!

IanB

Post by IanB » Wed Apr 29, 2020 12:09 am

aotta wrote:
Tue Apr 28, 2020 11:25 pm
Thank Ian for the zxspectrum wiring, I have some spare joystick adapter I can use for cabling the analog boards, another line in my to do list!
Here's the connections to the edge connector:

Pin 1(GND) to Edge conn 14B (GND)
Pin 2 (Sync) to Edge conn 16B (Y)
Pin 3 (Blue/U) to Edge conn 18B (U)
Pin 4 (Green/Y) to Edge conn 16B (Y)
Pin 5 (Red/V) to Edge conn 17B (V)
aotta wrote:
And I read in a previous post that Apple II too can works, did you try it?
I don't have an Apple II but I intend to get one someday. I haven't created a profile yet as I don't have any way of testing it.

aotta

Post by aotta » Wed Apr 29, 2020 4:30 pm

IanB wrote:
Wed Apr 29, 2020 12:09 am

I don't have an Apple II but I intend to get one someday. I haven't created a profile yet as I don't have any way of testing it.
i hope you'll find one soon, i made some test with my IIe PAL and got only some awful gosthly images. and it need a new palette i suppose.
Wozniak did some smart tricks for obtaining the colour in his Apple, and i can't decode the right geometry to use, i'm afraid.

Thank you for the edge socket pinout, i've to recap four beeb's PSU, then i'll try to use analog board with my speccy!

IanB

Post by IanB » Wed Apr 29, 2020 10:29 pm

Got some new PCBs today:
pcbs.jpg
They are a drilling template for the case with full size holes, a PC 6 bit buffer, a general purpose 6 bit buffer and an 8 bit buffer.

The complete family of interfaces:
interfaces.jpg
Left to right:
Analog interface
3 bit TTL buffer
PC 9 way TTL MDA/CGA/EGA buffer
6 bit TTL buffer
8 bit TTL buffer

The buffer boards buffer the RGB & sync signals and protect the CPLD from damage. They also bring the connector to outside the case instead of having a captive cable.

Maybe I should do a simplified and easier to build analog interface just for mono computers like the ZX81/Apple II/UK101 etc.

BeebMaster

Post by BeebMaster » Thu Apr 30, 2020 12:41 pm

I've been thinking about how to mount it...I reckon it could be made to fit, on a BBC Micro, in the keyboard serial cartridge hole.

aotta

Post by aotta » Fri May 01, 2020 1:49 pm

IanB wrote:
Wed Apr 29, 2020 12:09 am
aotta wrote:
Here's the connections to the edge connector:

Pin 1(GND) to Edge conn 14B (GND)
Pin 2 (Sync) to Edge conn 16B (Y)
Pin 3 (Blue/U) to Edge conn 18B (U)
Pin 4 (Green/Y) to Edge conn 16B (Y)
Pin 5 (Red/V) to Edge conn 17B (V)
It works fine, with a little DAC adjustment, i've a dk'tronics's case for my rgbtohd cable:
ZX48k.jpg
I did some test with my Apples too... the IIe clone with monochrome output works fine, the IIe composite PAL doesn't give a sharp pictures, i've made a lot of test... nothing compared to normal composite output, so i desist from trying more.

IanB

Post by IanB » Fri May 01, 2020 3:21 pm

aotta wrote:
Fri May 01, 2020 1:49 pm
It works fine, with a little DAC adjustment, i've a dk'tronics's case for my rgbtohd cable:
Thanks for confirming your 48K Spectrum works. Do you know what issue your board is? (It's been tried on Issue 2 and 3 so far).
aotta wrote:
I did some test with my Apples too... the IIe clone with monochrome output works fine, the IIe composite PAL doesn't give a sharp pictures, i've made a lot of test... nothing compared to normal composite output, so i desist from trying more.
That would be expected. The Apple II mono output should work fine with an appropriate profile but composite PAL colour will never work as there is no hardware to decode the composite signal and it just looks like noise in a mono signal. The Apple composite PAL encoder just takes the mono output, extracts the NTSC artifact colours (The Wozniak trick you mentioned above) and re-encodes them to PAL because artifact colours don't work on the PAL system.

However you will in future be able to get colour out of the mono output of the Apple II and other machines that use NTSC Artifact colours which will be decoded by software in RGBtoHD.

This trick was also used on IBM CGA and Tandy colour computer and I have already done some tests on a 640x200 CGA mono output:

keencga16.png

aotta

Post by aotta » Sun May 03, 2020 11:48 am

IanB wrote:
Fri May 01, 2020 3:21 pm
aotta wrote:
Thanks for confirming your 48K Spectrum works. Do you know what issue your board is? (It's been tried on Issue 2 and 3 so far).
Tested on Issue 4B and 4S. Connected pin 6 to 5v from Speccy's sslot to avoid external supplying too.

Waiting for your progress on composite's' colours!

hoglet

Post by hoglet » Wed May 06, 2020 5:07 pm

Hi all,

New Stable Release of RGBtoHDMI Available

IanB and myself are pleased to announce the next stable release of RGBtoHDMI:
https://github.com/hoglet67/RGBtoHDMI/releases/latest

This has been a long time coming; the previous stable release was December 2018. Since then there have been 740 seperate commits, and pretty much all aspects of the system have been updated.

More details below.

This release supports all existing (both Beeb and Atom) hardware, so why not give it a try!

Your best bet is to start afresh with a blank SD card, unzip the release ZIP, and follow the quick-start guide:
https://github.com/hoglet67/RGBtoHDMI/w ... tart-Guide

There is plenty of other detailed documention on the Wiki (mostly written by Ian):
https://github.com/hoglet67/RGBtoHDMI/wiki

With such a big release, we can't promise there won't be issues. But we'll do our best to help if you get stuck.

Dave + Ian

Hardware Improvements
  • Support for new 6-bit/8-bit capture hardware
  • Support for analog frontends with software controlled DACs and various\
    termination options
  • Backwards compatible with all existing hardware
  • 4-bit/pixel and 8-bit/pixel framebuffers
  • 3-bit and 6-bit capture modes
  • Multiple pixel sampling options
  • Ability to program the CPLD from the Pi (documentation is available to\
    modify existing 3-bit boards to have this capability, through the additio\
    n of four wires)
  • Seperate CPLDs for RGB and YUV capture
  • CPLD recovery mode
  • Auto-clamping
New Features
  • Screen Capture as PNG to SD Card (different scaling options)
  • Variable scanline intensity
  • Adjustable border colour
  • Extensive information screens
  • In-Band Palette Control (similar to VideoNuLA, experimental)
Better Image Quality
  • Multiple scaling/interpolation/overscan options
  • Auto-size the capture area to better suite different resolutions
  • Pixel aspect ratio control
  • Improved support for low resolution systems
  • Genlock improvements
  • Auto-detect sync polarity
  • Sync-loss detection
Usablility
  • Completely redesigned menu system, with variable font sizes
  • Ability to save settings
  • Ability to restore original settings
  • Multiple Profiles
Extensibility
  • User definable Profiles
  • User definable Resolutions
  • User definable Palettes
  • User configurable button actions
Multi-System Support
  • Acorn Atom
  • Acorn BBC Model B / Master
  • Acorn Communicator
  • Acorn Electron
  • Amstrad CPC
  • Camputers Lynx
  • Color Genie
  • Commodore 128 (80 coluln TTL text output only)
  • Dragon 32
  • IBM PC CGA
  • IBM PC EGA
  • IBM PC MDA
  • IBM PC VGA (9-pin TTL only, aka EGA+)
  • Nascom II
  • Olivetti Prodest PC1
  • Oric 1
  • Sinclair QL
  • Sinclair Spectrum 48K (no bright colours)
  • Sinclair Spectrum 128K +2
  • Sinclair Spectrum 128K +2A
  • Sinclair Spectrum 128K +3
  • Sinclair ZX80
  • Sinclair ZX81
  • Superboard II
  • Tandy Co Co
  • UK101

aotta

Post by aotta » Thu May 07, 2020 8:18 am

Great news, thank you Dave and Ian for improving again this great project!
And the wiki it's more and more detailed, now i can use it easily too! :lol:
As suggestion, i think some more info about wiring of the different computers will be useful, too.

For example, i'm testing a Sega SC-3000 getting the Y,R-Y and B-Y signal for the analog board, but can't get right colours. I wired Y to both sync and Green (2 & 4), but i'm afraid i'm not connected to the right pads.
Thank you in advance for any info

IanB

Post by IanB » Thu May 07, 2020 3:33 pm

aotta wrote:
Thu May 07, 2020 8:18 am
For example, i'm testing a Sega SC-3000 getting the Y,R-Y and B-Y signal for the analog board, but can't get right colours. I wired Y to both sync and Green (2 & 4), but i'm afraid i'm not connected to the right pads.
The connection to both 2 & 4 is correct for Y but you would also need a user defined custom palette to get the correct colours. However it would not be able to discriminate enough YUV levels to decode all the colours correctly.

I don't have a Sega SC-3000 but I do have a TI-99/4a which uses the same video chip. I got this partially working but didn't include it as it wasn't very good. However it might be possible to get it working with the 8 bit version which would mean fitting the extra chip on the other side of the analog board and using the 8 bit version of the CPLD board which has the 2 extra pins on the header to receive the signals from the extra chip.

I'm currently working on NTSC artifact colours but when that's finished I'll be looking at the 8 bit YUV mode and the TI-99/4a. If it can be made to work that would also mean support for MSX-1 computers as they use the same video chip as well.

aotta

Post by aotta » Thu May 07, 2020 3:57 pm

IanB wrote:
Thu May 07, 2020 3:33 pm

I'm currently working on NTSC artifact colours but when that's finished I'll be looking at the 8 bit YUV mode and the TI-99/4a. If it can be made to work that would also mean support for MSX-1 computers as they use the same video chip as well.
Thank you for the info, and waiting for your progress in both challenges!
in the meanwhile, i'll buy the extra chips.. :D

IanB

Post by IanB » Sun May 10, 2020 2:22 am

aotta wrote:
Thu May 07, 2020 3:57 pm
Thank you for the info, and waiting for your progress in both challenges!
Here's an experimental version with artifact colours:
[deleted]

First make sure you have the latest release installed then unzip the above, overwrite the kernel.img file with this version and copy the two Apple II profiles into \Profiles\6BIT_YUV_Analog.
After resetting you should have Apple II (525) and Apple II (625) profiles which will probably need a lot of tweaking to get right. (The clock frequencies should be correct).

Connect to the mono output of your apple II (your IIe clone will probably work but the other one with a composite colour encoded PAL output may need to be modified to output mono)

After you have adjusted settings to get a stable mono image, hold SW2 (middle button) until "NTSC colour on" appears on the screen.
Adjust the delay value in the sampling menu to get the right colours
Hold SW2 again to switch off. (You must hold the button down, just pressing it will do screencaps as before)
Note there will be a loss of resolution/detail when colour is on.
The option can also be controlled by the "NTSC Colour" option in the Preferences menu.
Last edited by IanB on Sun May 10, 2020 10:44 am, edited 2 times in total.

aotta

Post by aotta » Sun May 10, 2020 10:34 am

IanB wrote:
Sun May 10, 2020 2:22 am

Here's an experimental version with artifact colours:
ArtifactColours.zip
Ian, i got an error in unzipping the file, it seems corrupted, can you check it?
Thank you for sharing!

IanB

Post by IanB » Sun May 10, 2020 10:43 am

aotta wrote:
Sun May 10, 2020 10:34 am
Ian, i got an error in unzipping the file, it seems corrupted, can you check it?
Thank you for sharing!
Try this:
Artifact Colours v2.zip
(120.15 KiB) Downloaded 7 times

aotta

Post by aotta » Sun May 10, 2020 2:57 pm

After several attempts, with fingers boiled on the microswitches, I thought of changing the internal switch (OS1 - Color / mono) of the Apple IIe PAL and setting it to mono: the color appeared clear and bright!
apple1.png
apple2.png
And i had to use a different setting from yours to get a stable image:
Apple_II.txt
(183 Bytes) Downloaded 10 times
I noticed anyway that text chars are clearer on composite colour output than in RGBtoHD... but it's a great result!
Thank you again for your NTSC artifacts' support!

IanB

Post by IanB » Sun May 10, 2020 4:07 pm

aotta wrote:
Sun May 10, 2020 2:57 pm
After several attempts, with fingers boiled on the microswitches, I thought of changing the internal switch (OS1 - Color / mono) of the Apple IIe PAL and setting it to mono: the color appeared clear and bright!
Thanks for testing it. (I did say you would have to change to mono!)
aotta wrote:
I noticed anyway that text chars are clearer on composite colour output than in RGBtoHD... but it's a great result!
The artifact algorithm is very simple at the moment and it might be possible to improve it which would sharpen up the text

aotta

Post by aotta » Sun May 10, 2020 4:25 pm

IanB wrote:
Sun May 10, 2020 4:07 pm

(I did say you would have to change to mono!)
of course, but i realized wich switch only after a while! :lol:

IanB

Post by IanB » Mon May 11, 2020 8:11 pm

aotta wrote:
I've made some improvements to the mono NTSC artifacting code which should increase the quality of text:

Old version:
capture34.png

New version:
capture31.png

There is now a new option "NTSC Phase" which alters the phase of the NTSC decoder so there is no longer any need to adjust the delay value.
The phase setting has values from 0-15 and there should be four consecutive values whic display the correct colours.
Select one of the four values that shows the best / sharpest image on text.

Here is the file:
New_NTSC_Artifact.zip
(120.56 KiB) Downloaded 7 times
I also updated the Apple profiles as there was an error in your profile (You had input mux set to On which messes up the DAC settings)
Can you check the new 625 one works (you might need to tweak DAC-A).

aotta

Post by aotta » Mon May 11, 2020 9:53 pm

IanB wrote:
Mon May 11, 2020 8:11 pm

There is now a new option "NTSC Phase" which alters the phase of the NTSC decoder so there is no longer any need to adjust the delay value.
The phase setting has values from 0-15 and there should be four consecutive values whic display the correct colours.
Select one of the four values that shows the best / sharpest image on text.

I also updated the Apple profiles as there was an error in your profile (You had input mux set to On which messes up the DAC settings)
Can you check the new 625 one works (you might need to tweak DAC-A).
Checked new version and played with NTSC Phase, it works, with colours a bit darker but nearer to normal output:
From emulator:
bmow.png
bmow.png (49.13 KiB) Viewed 674 times
Apple II(625):
capture4.png
And text is sharper and readeable:
capture5.png
the output without NTSC artifact:
capture6.png
I'll made more test with Phase's tuning, and will report if some improvements.
Thank you!

IanB

Post by IanB » Tue May 12, 2020 1:23 am

aotta wrote:
Mon May 11, 2020 9:53 pm
Checked new version and played with NTSC Phase, it works, with colours a bit darker but nearer to normal output:
Thanks for testing, here's an update with some of the darker colours brightened up:
NTSCArtifactV3.zip
(120.18 KiB) Downloaded 7 times
aotta wrote:
Mon May 11, 2020 9:53 pm
I'll made more test with Phase's tuning, and will report if some improvements.
Looks like the H offset in the geometry menu needs tweaking to centre the image

Return to “8-bit acorn hardware”