Myelin's FX2 Tube/Cartridge Adapter - Development and Support

for bbc micro/electron hardware, peripherals & programming issues (NOT emulators!)
Elminster

Re: Myelin's FX2 Tube/Cartridge Adapter - Development and Support

Post by Elminster » Sat May 26, 2018 4:45 pm

Surely the default values would be the standard default values on the gpio? Or do you mean something else.

Rx and tx would be connect to tx and rx on the other side of the serial.

I have not looked at how the pi is wired, assuming straight through with level shifting.

hoglet

Post by hoglet » Sat May 26, 2018 5:23 pm

On the FX2 Tube/Cartridge Adapter, and on the various PiTubeDirect level shifters, the GPIO SerialRx and SerialTx pins are just brought out to a 3-pin header.

I'm trying to understand what you then want to connect them to (and probably missing the obvious).

For example, is the idea to somehow connect these to the Beeb's RS423 port, so the Pi could act as a serial console onto the Beeb?

Or something else entirely?

Elminster

Post by Elminster » Sat May 26, 2018 5:51 pm

Ah sorry I just assumed people would know what an RC2014 was.

https://www.tindie.com/products/Semacht ... or-rc2014/

But not just that but any device that uses a serial rx/tx.

hoglet

Post by hoglet » Sat May 26, 2018 5:57 pm

I did google the RC2014 serial terminal, so I got the gist of what it does.

You want to put this RC2014 serial terminal software on a Pi Zero, and plug the Pi Zero into the FX2 Tube/Cartridge adapter. And then I assume connect a HDMI monitor and keyboard. At this point you have a working serial terminal, powered from the Beeb, but with the Rx and Tx pins not connected to anything.

So what happens next?

I'm trying to understand the benefit of this being physically connected to a Beeb, rather than just standalone.

Elminster

Post by Elminster » Sat May 26, 2018 6:17 pm

Ah. No not connected to the Beeb in anyway at all.

I am saying by uuse it as a gneric logic analyser and as a tube pi on anything but a beeb makes nosense then repurpose the pi to do something else, e.g. a serial console.

Elminster

Post by Elminster » Sun Jun 03, 2018 12:51 am

Thanks to Dave.H I now have a board, also received some 101 lessons on SMD soldering, board complete now, stole the 5v wire to power pi from Hoglet board (the idea, not literally), already had a pi zero with pi tube direct, all I have left to do it remember how to program the chip.

Will refer to the ICE-T instruction to jog my memory, which was last time I did it.

Elminster

Post by Elminster » Mon Jun 04, 2018 12:05 am

Looks like the CPLD survives my attempts to kill it. Pi Tube seems to be posting (need to sort order of ROMS in Electron at some point). Very fast test of FX2 on 16 channels with pulseview to see if it did anything. Which it did.

Will play with the jumpers and fx2pipe another day.

I think I am more happy that the SMD CPLD works (with Dave.H's excellent tuition at ABUG) as much as actually using it.

I think my only comment on the documentation is that I had to go an rebuild ICE-T to remember how to program the CPLD on this board. Perhaps a few pointers in the CPLD readme. i.e. (Look at ICE-T for Xilinx installation notes, and then do x,y,z).
Attachments
AD10A366-ABD3-4FEE-BB1E-26C57FBFDE5C.jpeg
IMG_3871.jpg

myelin

Post by myelin » Mon Jun 04, 2018 10:20 am

Ah yes, that’s on my to do list :)

I use xc3sprog to program my CPLDs, and embed libxsvf into all the boards with MCUs so they can be programmed without a separate cable, but I haven’t documented much at all of this :/
SW/EE from New Zealand, now in Mountain View, CA, making BBC/Electron hardware projects for fun.
Most popular: fast serial port, FX2+PiTubeDirect Tube/Cartridge adapter, USB cart interface.

Elminster

Post by Elminster » Mon Jun 04, 2018 10:54 am

I did look at the impact.cmd file, in the end I hacked out the remote server bits to run local in the make file and used the impact gui. Seems to have worked.

BigEd

Post by BigEd » Mon Jun 04, 2018 11:21 am

xc3sprog looks like a very handy thing, so people can update their hardware with a *.bit file and no need to get involved with massive proprietary downloads!

myelin

Post by myelin » Mon Jun 04, 2018 12:28 pm

That’s right... I’ve started committing .bit and .svf files into git, so people can do that, but have been fairly haphazard about it so far. Need to do a proper sweep through all the projects and bring them all up to date!
SW/EE from New Zealand, now in Mountain View, CA, making BBC/Electron hardware projects for fun.
Most popular: fast serial port, FX2+PiTubeDirect Tube/Cartridge adapter, USB cart interface.

Elminster

Post by Elminster » Mon Jun 04, 2018 1:06 pm

Oh yes definitely a +1 for a running a command line script and job done. After all the wrestling with the 6gigs of Xilinx ISE stuff over the years just to build the ICE-T and FX2 Cart, it would be lovely.

myelin

Post by myelin » Tue Jun 05, 2018 8:17 am

I checked in my cpld programming notes: https://github.com/google/myelin-acorn- ... nd_jtag.md

Also started on a simple cpld programmer Arduino sketch, which should make it possible to program the cplds on my boards with just an Arduino Leonardo or Pro Micro, and a python script. Untested right now because I’m traveling :)

Elminster

Post by Elminster » Tue Jun 05, 2018 8:39 am

Ah that explains why your JTAG is different to the usb blaster II clones.

This could solve what I was chatting to BigEd about at the weekend, how to program Xilinx from a Raspberry Pi (I have a pi-top laptop). Thought I was was going have to emulate x86 kit code on AMD. But this solution would sound much easier (and faster).

Edit: Quick price check in UK. Real ones are abotu £20-22. Clones around £8-12. Although you meantion not to go for the clones in the notes.

myelin

Post by myelin » Tue Jun 05, 2018 9:20 am

It shouldn’t be hard to adapt this code to run directly on a Pi, using its GPIO pins for the JTAG connection. Will have to look into that when I’m back :) It’s also possible that openocd already supports this Pi GPIO method (see: https://electronics.stackexchange.com/a/101482 ), in which case you can use it to play the SVF file.

The clone boards are fine, but actually buying the right one can be a bit tricky...I’ll write a buyer’s guide when I have a minute!

Elminster

Post by Elminster » Tue Jun 05, 2018 9:26 am

That would be magic thanks.

I actually ended up powering the Cart on the Ext pins from a random RPi hanging about when I programmed it, just cause it was easier, would be good to just do everything on a single pi.

Elminster

Post by Elminster » Mon Jul 02, 2018 12:47 pm

When I bought my componets for the above I bought 2 x XC9572XL incase I messed up. But under Dave.H's expert eye I got it right. So I have a spare one. Unless anyone knows another project that uses it (seem to be a few but in different packages) then if there are still any boards about I might build a second one up to being able to program the CPLD and then pass it on. Just a thought.