Serial port modem?

discuss both original and modern hardware for the bbc micro/electron
woolly_axolotl

Serial port modem?

Post by woolly_axolotl » Fri Jun 16, 2017 11:54 pm

I have just seen this reviewed on the LGR YouTube channel , it sounds too cool to be true. Is it? Does someone more hardware aware than me think this might work with the Beeb?

http://biosrhythm.com/?page_id=1453

https://youtu.be/fsS0E4G310Y
Marc

Elminster

Re: Serial port modem?

Post by Elminster » Sat Jun 17, 2017 12:05 am

A couple of similar things floating about. And some people have got them working. Various links on this post.

viewtopic.php?f=16&t=13059

paulb

Post by paulb » Sat Jun 17, 2017 12:10 am

Looks like this kind of thing: the ESP8266 wi-fi module with a serial port adapter IC, perhaps the MAX3232 or something similar. Various wi-fi modules expose an AT command set and canned operations for getting Web pages, but what made the ESP8266 interesting for a lot of people was the ability to get it to expose lower-level networking operations and thus interact with existing network stacks.

Obviously that is a priority for machines that support TCP/IP, but where this is all turned on its head is when you want to deploy it with machines that did use modems and the AT command set, but where you were actually dialling out to "information services" and not the Internet. But I imagine that you can get these devices to do a dialling command to an IP address rather than a telephone number and then establish some kind of terminal connection, instead of it wanting to pump HTTP requests down the wire. And I imagine that people have deployed such old-school services on the Internet somewhere as well.

But I haven't messed around with any of this stuff myself, so others can probably clarify what they use all this for.

jgharston

Post by jgharston » Sat Jun 17, 2017 2:52 am

Every modem I've ever used has plugged into the serial port. Quite majorly misnamed, I think.

Code: Select all

$ bbcbasic
PDP11 BBC BASIC IV Version 0.32
(C) Copyright J.G.Harston 1989,2005-2020
>_

Stewie66

Post by Stewie66 » Tue Jul 04, 2017 11:15 am

I have a couple of the WIFI232 devices from biosrhythm, nice bit of kit and lots of features, he continues to enhance the functionality with OTA updates

Just waiting for the RS423 connector to be delivered so that I can make up the cable and get it going with the beeb

I've tested it already with a PSION netbook connected to some of the telnet based BBS and it works well, its great to set the baud to a low speed and watch the text scroll across, brings back memories of the many hours I spent online using BBS and services such as CIX

Anybody recommend any beeb centric telnet based BBS that are online today?

Cheers
Stewart

Stewie66

Post by Stewie66 » Tue Jul 25, 2017 11:13 am

OK, finally got the parts to make up a serial cable to connect to the WIFI232, working well on my Master at 1200 baud and terminal, need to try it with some of the other communication packages, any suggestions on good retro sites to connect to

Cheers
Stewart
Attachments
IMG_8883.jpg
IMG_8882.jpg

1024MAK

Post by 1024MAK » Tue Jul 25, 2017 4:28 pm

jgharston wrote:Every modem I've ever used has plugged into the serial port. Quite majorly misnamed, I think.
A modem is a device that modulates and demodulates digital signals to/from analogue sine waves so that the signals can travel via normal telephone exchange and transmission systems. Required because telephone exchanges and transmission systems were only designed for a bandwidth limited (restricted) audio range. Modems also have to provide isolation between the public telephone network and the computer side. If the modem is not designed only for private lines, it also needs a dialling system.

If the signal is always digital in nature, then the device is not a modem... so ISDN for example does not use modems, even though lay people may call the boxes "modems".

With WiFi and other modern radio systems, yes digital signals do get converted to analogue. But there is a big difference in the technology used.

Mark

Elminster

Post by Elminster » Tue Jul 25, 2017 5:51 pm

Not pixes then? I always thought litle pixies were rubbing the copper from my landline, then other pixies were shining torches down a glass tube. You mean if I open that green box at the end of my room there will be not one pixie in it? Are you sure? Really sure?

1024MAK

Post by 1024MAK » Tue Jul 25, 2017 5:58 pm

Elminster wrote:Not pixes then? I always thought litle pixies were rubbing the copper from my landline, then other pixies were shining torches down a glass tube. You mean if I open that green box at the end of my room there will be not one pixie in it? Are you sure? Really sure?
Yeah, "pixies" usually make the copper cables disappear...

Mark

Return to “8-bit acorn hardware”