Master 512 Bot From DataCentre CF Drive - Help!

for bbc micro/electron hardware, peripherals & programming issues (NOT emulators!)
cas_ir

Master 512 Bot From DataCentre CF Drive - Help!

Post by cas_ir » Sun May 28, 2017 7:24 pm

Hi, I have just resurrected my BBC Master 512, I have the machine up and running and I can load up DOS Plus from floppy disc ok. I have got an external DataCentre, and have that working ok. I would like to install the M512 system onto the CF drive on the DataCentre. I have installed a CF card (128mb) into the Datacentre and formatted it using the HDINIT utility supplied OK. I then booted from floppy into DOS Plus and ran theHDISK utility on the system disk, partitioned the CF card to 30mB and then selected the option to make the drive bootable, the utility copies the system files on to the CF disk in the DataCentre. Once copying is complete I can do a dir of the “C” drive and everything is there, when I then reboot the M512, It starts to load the loader from the CF card but crashes out with the error “6502.sys not in DOS partition, but I know it was there! If I reboot again using the floppy disk and look at the c: drive all the files are missing only one file is there called INMaster. Am I missing something here?? Does anyone have any suggestions as to what is going on?

PhilYoung

Re: Master 512 Bot From DataCentre CF Drive - Help!

Post by PhilYoung » Mon May 29, 2017 9:25 am

Hi,

I had similar problems with a Master 512/Datacentre/CF card combination. I tired a few different CF cards thinking that that was the problem, but with no success.

After many attempts using two sets of the original floppies, I realised that these were both DR-DOS v1.2. I downloaded the later DR-DOS v2.1 from here:

http://www.cowsarenotpurple.co.uk/bbcco ... master512/

and copied to 3.5 inch floppy using Omniflop and it worked from CF card first time. So that might be a good starting point for you,

Cheers,

Phil Young

RobC

Post by RobC » Mon May 29, 2017 10:36 am

Have you guys got ADFS Explorer?

If so, I have a working CF installation on my DC and can mail you the files off my card which you can then add to yours.

cas_ir

Post by cas_ir » Mon May 29, 2017 3:18 pm

Hi Phil & Rob, thanks for the replies and suggestions/offer, I followed your suggestion Phil and downloaded the images and managed to get them on to 3.5" floppies, and DOS Plus installed first time. Thanks for your offer Rob, but I think got it working now. Thanks for the help

IanC

PhilYoung

Post by PhilYoung » Mon May 29, 2017 4:30 pm

Hi,
cas_ir wrote:Hi Phil & Rob, thanks for the replies and suggestions/offer, I followed your suggestion Phil and downloaded the images and managed to get them on to 3.5" floppies, and DOS Plus installed first time. Thanks for your offer Rob, but I think got it working now. Thanks for the help

IanC
I'm glad that it worked and I wasn't talking rubbish,

Cheers,

Phil Young
Last edited by PhilYoung on Mon May 29, 2017 8:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RobC

Post by RobC » Mon May 29, 2017 5:51 pm

Glad you got it working.