Looking for Valiant Turtles

for bbc micro/electron hardware, peripherals & programming issues (NOT emulators!)
richmond62

Looking for Valiant Turtles

Post by richmond62 » Mon Apr 17, 2017 7:40 am

I am an educator who runs a small private EFL and computing school in Bulgaria, and have a Valiant Turtle (sans control module = functionally useless at the moment), and am looking to beg, borrow, buy or steal Valiant Turtles, or, at the very least, a control module for the one I have.

I am sure there are 100s of the beasts lying, languishing in cupboards throughout Britain . . .

I can be contacted here

*edit to remove email *

simoni

Re: Looking for Valiant Turtles

Post by simoni » Mon Apr 17, 2017 1:02 pm

Believe it or not - Valiant Technologies is still in business and still producing robots. The current version is the Valiant Roamer and is quite an amazing little device - purpose designed for education. I know about this because I've been corresponding with Dave Catlin (the original designer of the Valiant Turtle) - he's very dedicated to robotics in education, and continues to develop and sell solutions for this.

A modern Valiant roamer would be a lot more robust (and far cheaper) than using the original turtles... however, I met Dave due to the amount of work and research I'd been doing into the original turtle. You can find explanations, schematics and a complete set of service and test documents on my website:

http://www.waitingforfriday.com/?p=70

I've also reverse-engineered and documented the IR communication protocol used to direct the robot, so you could build your own control unit from an Arduino if you wanted to.

/Simon

richmond62

Post by richmond62 » Mon Apr 17, 2017 4:29 pm

Hi, "Simoni", we've "met" before as I have posted various comments
on your Blog about Valiant Turtles.

I own a Roamer 2.

But I really want a Valiant Turtle + control module.

simoni

Post by simoni » Mon Apr 17, 2017 4:51 pm

Ah, in that case 'hello again' :)

Unfortunately there aren't '100s lying around' by all accounts... It took me about 6 years of searching to get enough parts to build the Valiant Turtle I have (although - I will admit that I was very picky about restoration). I've seen VTs reach the 200-300 pound mark on Ebay in the UK before especially if they come with the commander unit which most seem to be missing. Sometimes you can get lucky though... and ebay is probably your best bet if you don't want to explore the possibility of making a commander unit yourself.

richmond62

Post by richmond62 » Mon Apr 17, 2017 5:07 pm

explore the possibility of making a commander unit yourself
Far too sophisticated for me; I'm just a humble teacher.

The idea of gutting a Turtle (I have one without the commander unit) and popping an Arduino inside connected to the two servo motors
with a bluetooth chip so that I could control the thing via mBlock seems like an interesting idea: after all the functionality would be there,
the aesthetics would be there, and I wouldn't have to use my BBC Master to control the thing.

simoni

Post by simoni » Mon Apr 17, 2017 6:08 pm

I wasn't suggesting to gut the turtle (!) that would ruin a perfectly good piece of history :) You can easily buy complete Arduino-based robots if that's your aim. Some even support Bluetooth and/or Wi-Fi for remote control.

I was more suggesting using an Arduino with an IR LED to send the commands to the turtle (i.e. making your own commander unit); if you have the skill to rewire the turtle with an Arduino, then you certainly have the skill to make a commander unit using an Arduino.

If you were to take the time to study the reverse-engineering information on my site, you'd see that the communication method isn't very complex... I've even provided example GCC code to produce the required pulse-train.

richmond62

Post by richmond62 » Mon Apr 17, 2017 6:36 pm

I wasn't 100% serious about gutting the turtle (never liked turtle soup).
Mockturtle_tenniel.jpg
Thanks for your suggestion re the Arduino Commander.

alchresearch

Post by alchresearch » Mon Nov 13, 2017 3:12 pm

Hi, I've got a Valiant Turtle boxed, with software, for sale.

I've decided to sell all my Beeb kit, it just doesn't get the usage anymore and would rather see someone else enjoy it.
Andy Davis.

sprinter1801

Post by sprinter1801 » Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:24 pm

how much are you looking for the turtle ?

richmond62

Post by richmond62 » Sun Dec 17, 2017 8:39 am

I should like to buy that, if it is still available.

richmond62

Post by richmond62 » Fri May 25, 2018 10:24 am

Still looking!