!IRC on the master?

for bbc micro/electron hardware, peripherals & programming issues (NOT emulators!)
avtovaz

!IRC on the master?

Post by avtovaz » Wed Jan 18, 2017 10:37 pm

Bit of a story, but i use irc chat clients on my Pc every sat night to talk to friends, and i was thinking could i somehow write a chat client for my master?

The way i would want to do it is in an old school way to the master. I mean, use something like a Pi to act as a modem so what the master would see is information comming in like it was 25 years ago. Then i want to try and write a simple chat client.

Its not that easy i know, but i can see it being a trip that will teach me about the master and basic in ways that i cant imagine now and ill see how the computer works.

I had an elk when i was young, did some basic programming, but interested in electronics now, learning bits , and thought this would be an interesting project to do...

So, any thoughts on this please? Where to start with connections , and is it just too much for a master to do?

thankyou...

1024MAK

Re: !IRC on the master?

Post by 1024MAK » Wed Jan 18, 2017 11:25 pm

poink

Post by poink » Thu Jan 19, 2017 5:49 pm

avtovaz wrote:So, any thoughts on this please? Where to start with connections , and is it just too much for a master to do?
It's perfectly possible, although, I wouldn't recommend trying to do it all yourself.[1] To do it like 25 years ago, the main problem is the effort writing the Internet stack - you'd need to write your own PPP client and TCP/IP stack (or adapt someone else's) - a lot of work, when you seem more interested in the IRC client bit.

Have a look at the link 1024MAK linked, yes, it's 70 quid, but it'll allow you to hook up your Master to an Ethernet network, and then use socket calls (as you would writing a client on another platform), so you don't have to write/adapt all of that low level networking code. Your Master remains a standalone machine, and you save a massive amount of effort. (And, if you really want to, you can always go back later and write that PPP+TCP/IP code!)

The absolute easiest way, of course, would be to hook up your Master via serial to a Pi, run Terminal (built into the Master) and use that to log into and run a console client (like irssi) on the Pi. This is probably how it was done usually done 25 years ago, indeed, Beebs were commonly used as serial terminals for Unix systems at Cambridge[2]

[1] After all, there's SymbOS for Z80 machines of the time, which can do TCP/IP and a multitasking GUI (that demo has a faster processor and more RAM.)
[2] Sadly, Theo does not have a copy of the termcap file for PHX as this page implies. If anyone does...

avtovaz

Post by avtovaz » Thu Jan 19, 2017 7:27 pm

Ok thanks for the replies! I had a think about it today, and to write even to write the IRC chat client is probably about a years worth of work for me! So, i think ill have a go at the serial connection way to a pi.

Stupid question, which is the serial port on the master?

My brother, he has quiet a lot of computer knollage, but he dosnt know how to set the master to the pi, i think when we have linked the master and the Pi it wont be so hard to get this working.. Its all of this i want to try and learn and could be a bit of fun too!

1024MAK

Post by 1024MAK » Thu Jan 19, 2017 8:17 pm

The serial port is a RS423 type, which is a DIN socket on the back. This web page talks about the ports on a Beeb.
Beebmaster has a rear view of the Master on this page :wink:

Mark

avtovaz

Post by avtovaz » Thu Jan 19, 2017 9:43 pm

right, thanks! Where can you get a rs423 plug from? Or are they hard to get now?

sydney

Post by sydney » Thu Jan 19, 2017 9:50 pm

avtovaz wrote:right, thanks! Where can you get a rs423 plug from? Or are they hard to get now?
I think these should work. You'll need to convert the voltage down to 3.3v for the pi.

5 pin din domino plug

avtovaz

Post by avtovaz » Thu Jan 19, 2017 10:01 pm

thanks! the input to the pi is threw the rx/tx conections? If so how do you get to 3.3v there?

avtovaz

Post by avtovaz » Thu Jan 19, 2017 10:11 pm

got it! CLICK HERE