Replacing a Futaba keyswitch

discuss both original and modern hardware for the bbc micro/electron
bsdnazz

Replacing a Futaba keyswitch

Post by bsdnazz » Sun Nov 27, 2016 5:04 pm

I've got a totally dead escape key and want to replace the keyswitch.

The switches are soldered to the motherboard and inserted into a metal plate and held in place with a pair of clips built into the keyswitch.

It looks like during manufacture the keyswitches were inserted into the metal plate and then the motherboard and soldered en mass.

Is it as fiddly as I fear to remove one keyswitch? Any magic tools for moving the clips so the switch and be unsoldered and removed?

bsdnazz

Re: Replacing a Futaba keyswitch

Post by bsdnazz » Sun Nov 27, 2016 5:14 pm

I think I need to improve my de-soldering technique and then once the solder is removed wiggle the keyswitch out.

sydney

Post by sydney » Sun Nov 27, 2016 5:22 pm

It's not that difficult. Just desolder the two pins and lever it out with a screwdriver on the other side. One of my first attempts at desoldering was on a master keyboard and It's still going strong more than 2 years later. I did damage a track on one key but even that was a pretty simple repair.

CMcDougall

Post by CMcDougall » Sun Nov 27, 2016 5:28 pm

It's easy, unsold er all the solder around hole, other side hold in the two white plugs, pull out key from metal frame, open switch, clean off brown/green munge, check with a light bulb /meter, solder back in 8)
threads about taking switch apart, if get stuck...
ImageImageImage

Return to “8-bit acorn hardware”