Centronics printer to usb converter

for bbc micro/electron hardware, peripherals & programming issues (NOT emulators!)
beebdidi

Centronics printer to usb converter

Post by beebdidi » Fri Nov 18, 2016 9:21 am

Hi,
While digging around, I found this product :

http://www.ipcas.com/products/centronic ... inter.html

Might be usefull to use modern printers.
I don't have an idea of the price anyway.

Cheers

duikkie

Re: Centronics printer to usb converter

Post by duikkie » Fri Nov 18, 2016 9:44 am

the datasheet is not very good :( , protocol is windows . i think we have a software/rom problem for the acorn

beebdidi wrote:Hi,
While digging around, I found this product :

Might be usefull to use modern printers.
I don't have an idea of the price anyway.

Cheers

daveejhitchins

Post by daveejhitchins » Fri Nov 18, 2016 10:02 am

beebdidi wrote:While digging around, I found this product :

I love the: You do not have the permission to see the prices :lol:

Dave H :D
Parts: UM6502CE, GAL22V10D, GAL16V8D, AS6C62256A, TC514400AZ, WD1772, R6522, TMS27C512, AT28C256
Products: ARA II, ABR, ATI, AP6, MGC, AP5 . . .
For a price list, contact me at: Retro Hardware AT dave ej hitchins DOT plus DOT com

duikkie

Post by duikkie » Fri Nov 18, 2016 10:13 am

Rare jongens die duitsers
maybe a only for german product ?

Not a bexit thing ;)

daveejhitchins wrote:
beebdidi wrote:While digging around, I found this product :

I love the: You do not have the permission to see the prices :lol:

Dave H :D

beebdidi

Post by beebdidi » Fri Nov 18, 2016 10:58 am

Yes, that was just a though
Maybe some new idea for a project ;-)

duikkie

Post by duikkie » Fri Nov 18, 2016 11:28 am

Go for it!! But sending text from a window pc has an other format then a acorn machine. I think you need an other rom in the convertor but a shematic or datasheet will help the chip is maybe a chxxxx
beebdidi wrote:Yes, that was just a though
Maybe some new idea for a project ;-)

george.h

Post by george.h » Fri Nov 18, 2016 5:55 pm

beebdidi wrote:I don't have an idea of the price anyway.Cheers
daveejhitchins wrote:I love the: You do not have the permission to see the prices
If you have to ask the price, you probably can't afford it - as the old rule goes :lol:
Pic Caption: "One day son, this will all be yours..."

Elk Towers

Post by Elk Towers » Sat Nov 19, 2016 6:15 pm

According to this page its $468.00 which is roughly £380

http://www.wdlsystems.com/Communication ... erter.html
Nick

beebdidi

Post by beebdidi » Sat Nov 26, 2016 4:25 pm

OK !so I will forget buying one !
It's more than 10x the price of a printer...

rwap

Post by rwap » Thu Apr 19, 2018 7:40 pm

I know this is an old thread, but I thought I would pop on and mention my own little project to provide a Centronics port to usb convertor.

It is called the Retro-Printer (www.retroprinter.com) and uses a Raspberry Pi (or other Single Board Computer) to process the captured data - converting ESC/P2 control codes to PDF and then sending the resulting output to any connected USB or Network printer.

I had seen the Ipcas convertor (and a couple of similar products - one in the USA and one in the UK) which both cost over £200; and wanted to produce something which would be much lower cost specifically aimed at the retro computer market.

Actually, for those who have not come across me before, this is something I started talking about in about 1997 when the supplies of the Epson Stylus Colour 850 seemed to dry up (this was the last printer I was using with my Sinclair QL home computer to run my business).

lcww1

Post by lcww1 » Thu Apr 19, 2018 8:22 pm

I’ve been keeping an eye on your retro-printer project for a while now, and I think a few other people on this forum are also aware of your project too. From your website, it looks as though you’ve been making good progress. Any idea when the retro-printer may become available?

Elminster

Post by Elminster » Thu Apr 19, 2018 9:07 pm

I am sure there are lot of people around who dont actually print much any more but given the ability to use modern printers on a Beeb, would happily get something like this just because it exists. And who doesnt have about a dozen RPis kciking about, I am sure they breed.

And I get to add something else to the retro hardware list.

rwap

Post by rwap » Tue May 22, 2018 7:38 pm

lcww1 wrote:I’ve been keeping an eye on your retro-printer project for a while now, and I think a few other people on this forum are also aware of your project too. From your website, it looks as though you’ve been making good progress. Any idea when the retro-printer may become available?

The Retro-Printer is currently at the factory for final production of the module and case so we are hoping to have it available for sale in July.

In the meantime, if you are looking for just the conversion routines, we have released the ESC/P2 conversion routine on https://github.com/RWAP/PrinterToPDF so that this can be improved. It handles most ESC/P2 codes (unlike the various ESC/P conversion routines available on the internet).

lcww1

Post by lcww1 » Tue May 22, 2018 7:46 pm

rwap wrote:The Retro-Printer is currently at the factory for final production of the module and case so we are hoping to have it available for sale in July.
Many thanks for the update - that’s great news!
rwap wrote:we have released the ESC/P2 conversion routine on https://github.com/RWAP/PrinterToPDF so that this can be improved. It handles most ESC/P2 codes (unlike the various ESC/P conversion routines available on the internet).
This is also great news - I’m wondering if I might be able to use your code to assist with Econet printing as discussed here http://www.stardot.org.uk/forums/viewto ... =3&t=14953 - something for me to investigate I think :-k

rwap

Post by rwap » Tue May 22, 2018 7:59 pm

Definitely - the ESC/P2 conversion routine has been released under the GPL license, so we welcome its use in other projects and of course, suggested improvements to the code.

Back2skooldaze

Post by Back2skooldaze » Mon Jun 04, 2018 10:16 am

Hi does the retro printer module connect to a bbc master printer attachment and then to an epson printer? I have a spare epson stylus RX425 that i would love to use on the bbc if its possible with the retro printer module. Or is the retro printer module for the rasp Pi ?

Thanks Andrew

rwap

Post by rwap » Mon Jun 04, 2018 11:47 am

Back2skooldaze wrote:
Mon Jun 04, 2018 10:16 am
Hi does the retro printer module connect to a bbc master printer attachment and then to an epson printer? I have a spare epson stylus RX425 that i would love to use on the bbc if its possible with the retro printer module. Or is the retro printer module for the rasp Pi ?

Thanks Andrew
I don't know anything about the BBC master printer attachment.

If it is designed to provide a centronics port so that you can attach a dot matrix printer then you would be good to go.

The Retro-Printer Module hardware is just a means of allowing a Raspberry Pi to capture the data from a centronics port. You have to connect the Retro-Printer Module to a Raspberry PI (as the Raspberry Pi does the heavy processing work, using the software we provide) and then you connect the Retro-Printer module to the BBC in the same way as you would an old dot-matrix printer.

You can connect the RX425 to one of the USB ports on the Raspberry Pi and then use one of the Epson printer drivers for CUPs to make it the default printer and allow the Retro-Printer software to output the captured data.

1024MAK

Post by 1024MAK » Mon Jun 04, 2018 12:16 pm

The BBC Model B, B+, BBC Master 128 and BBC Master 512 machines have a parallel printer port as standard. They can print to most printers that have a Centronics parallel port. These computers use a 26 way IDC connector.
The BBC Master Compact also has a parallel printer port, but uses a different connector (a 24 way Cannon connecter).
The Acorn Electron does not have any printer port, but the Plus 1 expansion interface does. It uses a parallel port and uses the same IDC connector as the BBC Model B, B+, BBC Master 128 and BBC Master 512 machines.

The only adaptor needed, is the correct cable to connect to the Centronics printer to usb converter.

Mark
Last edited by 1024MAK on Mon Jun 04, 2018 12:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: (Edited to update with more details)
For a "Complete BBC Games Archive" visit www.bbcmicro.co.uk NOW!
BeebWiki‬ - for answers to many questions...

rwap

Post by rwap » Mon Jun 04, 2018 12:30 pm

1024MAK wrote:
Mon Jun 04, 2018 12:16 pm
The BBC Model B, BBC Master 128 and BBC Master 512 machines have a parallel printer port as standard. They can print to most printers that have a Centronics parallel port. These computers use a IDC connector.
The BBC Master Compact also has a parallel printer port, but uses a different connector.
The Acorn Electron does not have any printer port, but the Plus 1 expansion interface does. It uses a parallel port and uses the same IDC connector as the BBC Model B, BBC Master 128 and BBC Master 512 machines.
OK - the Master Compact is weird then - what printers does that connect to ? Was there an adaptor for its odd connector?
The only adaptor needed, is the correct cable to connect to the Centronics printer to usb converter.
Ermm.... that would be the Retro-Printer module + a Raspberry Pi then :D

Just a warning that there are plenty of cheap cables out there to allow you to connect a centronics printer to a USB slot (on a PC for example), but before the Retro-Printer Module, the only stuff allowing you to connect a USB printer to a centronics port cost over €600....

1024MAK

Post by 1024MAK » Mon Jun 04, 2018 12:33 pm

There is an Acorn Application Note that gives details of the various ports on the machines I mentioned in my post above. Click this link =D>

Mark
For a "Complete BBC Games Archive" visit www.bbcmicro.co.uk NOW!
BeebWiki‬ - for answers to many questions...

MartinB

Post by MartinB » Mon Jun 04, 2018 2:06 pm

I have a few different types of these adaptors that I trialled during the early days of UPURS development because my original plan was for the bi-directional transfer system to be fully parallel. So, since most modern PCs and Laptops don’t have a Centronics port, I thought I could use one of these to connect a PC USB port to the Beeb’s User Port. The original version of UPURS did just this and the system was fast and reliable for PC-to-Beeb transfers but sadly, I then discovered that these Centronics-to-USB adaptors are not bi-directional so I eventually abandoned them and switched UPURS to employ a fully serial system being bit-banged through the User Port at the Beeb end.

TopBanana

Post by TopBanana » Wed Jun 06, 2018 8:11 am

One day, your prints will come ............... :D :lol: :lol: :lol:

Elminster

Post by Elminster » Wed Jun 06, 2018 8:38 am

For proper retro you need one of those line printers the size of a car they had back in the 80s computer centres.

I remember these