Using BBC with Ferguson TX MC01 TV via RGB ?

for bbc micro/electron hardware, peripherals & programming issues (NOT emulators!)
bleeper

Using BBC with Ferguson TX MC01 TV via RGB ?

Post by bleeper » Thu Mar 31, 2016 10:58 am

I just retrieved from a relatives house a Ferguson TX MC01 Tv from the mid '80s. Still working perfectly :D

I'm sure I remember using this TV with our BBC via the RGB port, yet we no longer have any of the leads. I was going to make one, but then I noticed it has "Sync 1", "Sync 2", whereas the BBC is composite sync.

Try as I might, I've looked all over to see what these different Syncs were (I assume H and V?), and I don't think we used anything other than a bog standard DIN cable, but I'm a little afraid to plug things in blindly and hope for the best.

Does anyone remember this TV and how it might connect to the beeb? Is my brain lying to me re: RGB? Should I ditch Fergie and go with a SCART equipped TV?

1024MAK

Re: Using BBC with Ferguson TX MC01 TV via RGB ?

Post by 1024MAK » Thu Mar 31, 2016 11:31 am

I think I just used Sync 1 when I had mine. I think you still need resistors like in the SCART leads. But this says otherwise...

ETA Some info in this forum

Mark
For a "Complete BBC Games Archive" visit www.bbcmicro.co.uk NOW!
BeebWiki‬ - for answers to many questions...

bleeper

Post by bleeper » Thu Mar 31, 2016 12:34 pm

Thanks Mark. Is there any potential danger trying without resistors first, or will it simply not work?

1024MAK

Post by 1024MAK » Thu Mar 31, 2016 12:39 pm

It is unlikely that you will do any damage, but this is an guess and not a fact. The symptoms are extremely bright colours.

Mark

bleeper

Post by bleeper » Thu Mar 31, 2016 12:41 pm

Ah yes, I remember making a cable for my CPC464 and it was way too bright without resistors.

I'll give it a try, the telly was free anyway :D

thanks!

1024MAK

Post by 1024MAK » Thu Mar 31, 2016 12:56 pm

At one time, I used my Ferguson TX with a Freeveiw box, as it had a remote and the TX tuner buttons were by then intermittent in operation. I used my own made up SCART to DIN socket lead, and that one did not have resistors. But then the Freeveiw box (a Panasonic one) would have output 0.7V standard video signals. Hence why I think you may need resistors with the TTL output from the Beeb. But there is only one way to find out...

There used to be a photo of the rear panel of this TV on the Internet, but I can't find it now :(

Mark

fandenivoldsk

Post by fandenivoldsk » Sun Jun 25, 2017 4:54 pm

Any chance you want to sell your Ferguson TX MC01 to me? I have been looking for one for a long time...
bleeper wrote:I just retrieved from a relatives house a Ferguson TX MC01 Tv from the mid '80s. Still working perfectly :D

Garrettimus

Post by Garrettimus » Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:27 am

Dear friends,

I have a Ferguson TV set also, it works perfectly with the Beeb (via a especially installed DIN socket which was professionally done at stores back in the day), but, whenever I try the SCART socket, no matter what computer, I get a reddish "background", although the other colours seem OK). This happens only with SCART. It's not the SCART cable though, I tried several to the same result.

The attached files show the normal picture (Beeb) versus the reddish ones (Spectrum and Mistica). Any ideas?

Also, there's a VIDEO button on the front, other than RGB, but there's actually no video socket on the back...

I'm not in the UK, the TV set was a present from a friend.
Normal.jpg
Speccy1.jpg
Speccy2.jpg