Acorn keyboard test programs

for bbc micro/electron hardware, peripherals & programming issues (NOT emulators!)
CJE-4D

Acorn keyboard test programs

Post by CJE-4D » Wed Jan 20, 2016 1:08 pm

Anyone know of test programs for Acorn Keyboards?
And where they can be downloaded from?
I'm sure I should have been able to find them with forum search or google. I think I must be on the wrong wave length!

I'm looking for the type were it shows the keyboard layout on screen and when you press a key it changes the colour of that key on screen, so that you can quickly test every key.

I've found one at:http://www.lancs.ac.uk/~simpsons/software/pkg-keytester
for the Archimedes A440. I'm hoping it will run on RISC OS 3 though I haven't had a chance to try it yet.

I'm looking for:
BBC A/B
BBC Master
RiscPC (That runs fully on RISC OS 4 or later if possible)
A3000 also if possible as it has a few differences to a RiscPC keyboard
Are there any other Acorn Keyboards/layouts?

Any pointers gratefully received.
Chris Evans

dangardner

Re: Acorn keyboard test programs

Post by dangardner » Wed Jan 20, 2016 6:07 pm

Hi Chris, for the Beeb and Master, I seem to remember that the Watford Electronics Diagnostics Disk (viewtopic.php?t=7337) had functionality to test keyboards in the way you describe.

tricky

Post by tricky » Wed Jan 20, 2016 6:35 pm

I wrote this in the 80s, there is a faster version somewhere, I'll have a look.
http://www.retrosoftware.co.uk/forum/vi ... =888#p6458

CJE-4D

Post by CJE-4D » Thu Jun 23, 2016 4:17 pm

tricky wrote:I wrote this in the 80s, there is a faster version somewhere, I'll have a look.
Did you ever find the later version?

tricky

Post by tricky » Thu Jun 23, 2016 4:29 pm

No, but i think it just scanned the keyboard in assembler, so i could write it when i get 10 minutes (not today).

CJE-4D

Post by CJE-4D » Sat Jun 25, 2016 3:34 pm

tricky wrote:No, but i think it just scanned the keyboard in assembler, so i could write it when i get 10 minutes (not today).
In an ideal world a test program would require a number of presses, say two or three and report if they were very close together! I'm thinking of when a key is dodgy and when it does respond it puts two or more press in the buffer for one press.

jgharston

Post by jgharston » Thu Jul 07, 2016 11:30 pm

tricky wrote:I wrote this in the 80s, there is a faster version somewhere, I'll have a look.
A very neat program! I tried to speed it up by using an integer byte array for the keypress state, but I couldn't tell if I made a difference.

I added the Master keypad and the remaining keyscan numbers here (useful for RISC OS and Windows), and an extra line to get rid of the diagonal in the highlight box. Also, you can end by pressing Ctrl-Escape.

It reveals something you have to be careful about when drawing triangles in XOR mode, if you're not careful the two triangles overlap on the diagonal and you end up with a line due to XORing twice. I can't remember the details, but it's something along the lines of an off-by-one error in the calculation. Something like drawing 0,4,4,0 when you should draw 0,3,3,0 or something. I had a bit of a fiddle, but couldn't remember, so just drew an extra diagonal line! Odd, as my circle-drawing code works correctly in XOR mode.

Code: Select all

$ bbcbasic
PDP11 BBC BASIC IV Version 0.25
(C) Copyright J.G.Harston 1989,2005-2015
>_