MMC hard drive emulation?

for bbc micro/electron hardware, peripherals & programming issues (NOT emulators!)
RobC

Re: MMC hard drive emulation?

Post by RobC » Mon Oct 14, 2019 7:01 am

soviet wrote:
Sun Oct 13, 2019 8:59 pm
I can run doom it starts show the shareware version message and start loading the ...........
after a wile it will drop me back to the command line having the error "bad command" in a low res mode.
Did you load the ROM image "DOOMROM" into sideways RAM before doing *DOOM?

For info, doing *DOOM runs the 8-colour version, *DOOM -NULA runs the VideoNuLA 16-colour version and DOOM -fourcol runs the 4-colour, dithered mode 1 version. For the four colour version, you can also specify the palette with -palette, e.g. "-palette 0147" for black, red, blue and white.

soviet

Post by soviet » Mon Oct 14, 2019 5:44 pm

Thanks rob for the information, how do you load the doom rom on sideway ram ?.

Also i see in the hard drive image there what seems a gameboy emulator that works for real ? :D

RobC

Post by RobC » Mon Oct 14, 2019 6:25 pm

soviet wrote:
Mon Oct 14, 2019 5:44 pm
Thanks rob for the information, how do you load the doom rom on sideway ram ?.
I usually use the *SRLOAD command in DFS but I don't think it's available in MMFS. That disk image is from my ADFS hard drive so I've only used it with ADFS. I think tricky wrote a little assembler routine to do it for the recent meet-up - I'll see if I can knock something up for you (unless tricky can remember his code).
soviet wrote:
Mon Oct 14, 2019 5:44 pm
Also i see in the hard drive image there what seems a gameboy emulator that works for real ? :D
I'm afraid not. It's just something that I've been thinking about porting for a good while. I'm pretty sure it's viable (at least with VideoNuLA for scrolling) but I haven't got round to getting it running. I was seriously looking at it before Doom came along but parked it. Not sure why I put the source code on my Master though :oops:

Unfortunately, I've got loads of projects like this that are half started/finished. I did a lot of work on a port of Elite TNK a while back but haven't got anything to show yet.

The ZX81, Jupiter ACE, ZX Spectrum and Amstrad CPC emulators should all work though. I've also got a working PDP-11 emulator running UNIX but I don't think it's on that image. Doom is nearly finished but I need to get sound working, fix a few bugs and sort out the palette stuff so it'll run any WAD.

RobC

Post by RobC » Mon Oct 14, 2019 8:42 pm

There's an implementation of *SRLOAD from the ever reliable MDFS here.

I'm guessing that you could load this into memory (using *LOAD) from the MMC DFS, switch to MMC ADFS and then *SAVE it to the hard drive image.

Once on the hard drive image, you can use it to load the DOOMROM file into sideways RAM.

soviet

Post by soviet » Mon Oct 14, 2019 8:55 pm

Super cool, well i don't have the VideoNuLA but have played the zx81 emulator and jupiter ace also and they work very nice.
The zx81 emulator for some reason don't seem to start from the disk image but i can load it from floppy.

Other emulators like the speccy one and cpc are amazing pieces of software don't know about any 8bit computer that have this kind of things. Amazing software RobC !.

RobC

Post by RobC » Mon Oct 14, 2019 9:07 pm

soviet wrote:
Mon Oct 14, 2019 8:55 pm
Super cool, well i don't have the VideoNuLA but have played the zx81 emulator and jupiter ace also and they work very nice.
The zx81 emulator for some reason don't seem to start from the disk image but i can load it from floppy.
That may be some oddness with the command-line parsing. It works fine from my ADFS hard drive but I'll take a look at it.
soviet wrote:
Mon Oct 14, 2019 8:55 pm
Other emulators like the speccy one and cpc are amazing pieces of software don't know about any 8bit computer that have this kind of things. Amazing software RobC !.
Thanks - just goes to show that the Beeb is the one 8-bit machine to rule them all :)

aotta

Post by aotta » Wed Feb 05, 2020 6:43 pm

for Compact users informations, i tested patched adfs 157 in my PC128S and it works with MOS 5.1 and a "5 penny" spi sd card reader, with original ADFS and DFS roms unplugged, and U-MAMMFS for reading beeb file and hd partition.
I have the Videonula too onboard, it's a pity that compact doesn't give the tube port, so i can't play Doom on this machine! :roll: