MMC hard drive emulation?

for bbc micro/electron hardware, peripherals & programming issues (NOT emulators!)
DutchAcorn

Re: MMC hard drive emulation?

Post by DutchAcorn » Thu Apr 21, 2016 6:19 pm

Thanks Dave,

- unplugged 13 (otherwise I get a "Bad sum" error)
- tried *FX200,3
- The image is the one you shared through dropbox and seems to work, I can access the beeb.mmc file using smart spi. Disc image 0 has title "BEEB".
- It's on a SDHC card
- I used JGH's version (link posted a few posts earlier)

I'll try the one without the floppy code.
Paul

hoglet

Post by hoglet » Thu Apr 21, 2016 6:23 pm

DutchAcorn wrote: - I used JGH's version (link posted a few posts earlier)
Ah, I don't believe that had been tested with SD Card Hardware yet. Apologies Jonathan if I'm doing you a dis-service here!

Dave

DutchAcorn

Post by DutchAcorn » Thu Apr 21, 2016 6:34 pm

hoglet wrote:
DutchAcorn wrote: - I used JGH's version (link posted a few posts earlier)
Ah, I don't believe that had been tested with SD Card Hardware yet. Apologies Jonathan if I'm doing you a dis-service here!

Dave
He was quite clear on that. I just hoped/expected the floppy code to work.
Paul

DutchAcorn

Post by DutchAcorn » Thu Apr 21, 2016 6:43 pm

hoglet wrote:...
The version in my git repository:
https://github.com/hoglet67/ADFS/commits/master
does not yet have the floppy driver work of Steve and Dominic merged in.
I am not comfortable yet navigating through git repositories. Is there a compiled rom file to be found or do I need to compile that from the sources?

Thanks again,
Paul

hoglet

Post by hoglet » Thu Apr 21, 2016 7:07 pm

DutchAcorn wrote: I am not comfortable yet navigating through git repositories. Is there a compiled rom file to be found or do I need to compile that from the sources?
Here you go:
adfs_157_20160421_2005.zip
(294.67 KiB) Downloaded 61 times
Try using the ROM named "SD"

Dave

DutchAcorn

Post by DutchAcorn » Thu Apr 21, 2016 8:18 pm

hoglet wrote:
DutchAcorn wrote: I am not comfortable yet navigating through git repositories. Is there a compiled rom file to be found or do I need to compile that from the sources?
Here you go:
adfs_157_20160421_2005.zip
Try using the ROM named "SD"

Dave
Thanks! That works brilliantly!
Paul

hoglet

Post by hoglet » Mon Jun 06, 2016 3:45 pm

Hi Simon,
sydney wrote: Hi Dave.
Would there be much work involved in building a version of this ROM that would work with my 6522 solution connected to the master internal modem port? I'm hoping to do a bit of work with the master at Halifax. If there is a lot involved then please leave it for me to figure out myself.

Here's a link to the post where you supplied MMFS adjusted for the correct address (FE80) I think.
This ZIP file contains a build of ADFS 1.57 with the 6522 at FE80 - the file you need is: SD2
adfs_157_20160606_1636.zip
(355.2 KiB) Downloaded 64 times
This is the same as the version a couple of posts up, but with this one additional target.

There's also an SD Card Image to test with here:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/emmkpvzbz4rdzc0/2GB.7z?dl=0

Write the uncompressed image using something like win32diskimager.

Dave

sydney

Post by sydney » Mon Jun 06, 2016 3:53 pm

Thanks for that Dave!
I'm probably not going to be able to test it until the weekend as I packed everything up today - that's what prompted me to pm you! I have a few spare sd cards so I'm going to write the SD card image to a couple of cards in preparation. Can't wait 'till Friday!

sydney

Post by sydney » Wed Jun 15, 2016 12:29 pm

My modem port based interface seems to have worked perfectly and I can boot into DOS and load GEM without any problems. It also allows me to have a mouse connected to the Master's user port at the same time. Thanks to everyone for your work on this.

hoglet

Post by hoglet » Wed Jun 15, 2016 1:21 pm

sydney wrote:My modem port based interface seems to have worked perfectly and I can boot into DOS and load GEM without any problems. It also allows me to have a mouse connected to the Master's user port at the same time. Thanks to everyone for your work on this.
=D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D>

Now, was someone talking about getting some PCBs made up?

sydney

Post by sydney » Sun Jun 19, 2016 10:54 am

I've never used ADFS before so have a few questions.
My master starts up in ADFS but $ and LIB are "Unset" until I type MOUNT 0. Is this normal behavior and if so is there a way to have drive 0 mounted at startup?
When switching between DFS and ADFS I can *CAT. on both filesystems and the catalogue is displayed correctly for both file systems.However when switching from MMFS (MAMMFS2 which uses the modem port) to ADFS and back to MMFS I get the Bad Sum error. Is this related to the error reported and solved in the MMFS Development thread here: http://www.stardot.org.uk/forums/viewto ... 00#p140999 ? If so I'll copy the new ROM accross and report back.
I've used TreeCopy to copy the ABR Utilities accross to my sd-harddisk from DFS floppy but all of the files have the 'E' attribute set which is a bit of a pain and I doubt it's the normal behaviour of TreeCopy. Could this be a bug in the sd-adfs?
hoglet wrote: Now, was someone talking about getting some PCBs made up?
DaveH and I are meeting on Wednesday morning to begin this process so hopefully won't be too long.

EDIT: Just had a quick read of the ADFS/Winchester manual and CTRL-BREAK sets the LIB to the directory named LIB.

hoglet

Post by hoglet » Sun Jun 19, 2016 12:49 pm

sydney wrote: When switching between DFS and ADFS I can *CAT. on both filesystems and the catalogue is displayed correctly for both file systems.However when switching from MMFS (MAMMFS2 which uses the modem port) to ADFS and back to MMFS I get the Bad Sum error. Is this related to the error reported and solved in the MMFS Development thread here: http://www.stardot.org.uk/forums/viewto ... 00#p140999 ? If so I'll copy the new ROM accross and report back.
It's actually an earlier bug that was fixed a few months ago. I hit it when trying to install PANOS from MMFS to ADFS.

Upgrade to version 1.27 (or 1.28 if you are feeling brave!), and see if that fixes it.

Dave

sydney

Post by sydney » Sun Jun 19, 2016 4:42 pm

Thanks for that Dave. I thought I was using the most up to date version but was getting confused with my version of ADFS.

TheCorfiot

Post by TheCorfiot » Fri Jul 15, 2016 11:13 pm

I thought I would finally get round to trying this out.

Up to now I have used Real IDE CF adapters with my Beebs but looking at my Master Compact I thought why not lol.

Well, I will be damned. Amazing work you guys.. Stable and fast, the HD emulation is superb and it's a great way of running an ADFS hard disk on a Master Compact.
Thank you all for your hard work .. hip hip.

The 2GB image is a great starting point, the 1GB FAT partition perfect for any BEEB.MMB file, however I have a std 512MB image which I use with all my Beeb's which I would like to put in place of the existing second partition.
I can't seem to see a way of doing this, can anyone please give us a step by step how the 2GB image was created.
I do not use Linux unfortunately, I only have Windows machines.

Many thanks again :)

hoglet

Post by hoglet » Sat Jul 16, 2016 7:12 am

Hi TC,
TheCorfiot wrote: The 2GB image is a great starting point, the 1GB FAT partition perfect for any BEEB.MMB file, however I have a std 512MB image which I use with all my Beeb's which I would like to put in place of the existing second partition.
I can't seem to see a way of doing this, can anyone please give us a step by step how the 2GB image was created.
I do not use Linux unfortunately, I only have Windows machines.
I wouldn't know where to start with reconstructing this image on Windows. :(

The image is made up of 3 pieces
- a standard partition table
- a FAT32 partition (partition type 0x0C)
- an ADFS partition (partition type 0xAD)

You need to find a windows disk imaging tool that will backup / restore individual partitions, even ones where it doesn't understand the partition type.

Maybe a more Windows savy member could suggest one?

Or if you could somehow send me your image, I would be happy to splice it in using Linux.

Dave

BigEd

Post by BigEd » Sat Jul 16, 2016 7:34 am

(There is a version of dd for windows, at
http://www.chrysocome.net/dd
which I've used successfully in the past. It's a unicycle-chainsaw of a tool though, so read carefully before proceeding!)

TheCorfiot

Post by TheCorfiot » Sat Jul 16, 2016 9:29 am

Hi Dave

I had a feeling Linux was the only way and I am a real basic Linux user :(

Can I zip up my file & dropbox it you please my friend, I really appreciate if you could splice it for me ;)

Thanks so much
Bas :)

hoglet

Post by hoglet » Sat Jul 16, 2016 11:04 am

TheCorfiot wrote: Can I zip up my file & dropbox it you please my friend, I really appreciate if you could splice it for me ;)
I'll take a look now....

hoglet

Post by hoglet » Sat Jul 16, 2016 12:08 pm

hoglet wrote:
TheCorfiot wrote: Can I zip up my file & dropbox it you please my friend, I really appreciate if you could splice it for me ;)
I'll take a look now....
PM Sent....

TheCorfiot

Post by TheCorfiot » Sat Jul 16, 2016 12:42 pm

Dave

You are most awesome and I really appreciate it.

Thanks for your time
:)

PS.... Works Perfectly......:D

jbnbeeb

Post by jbnbeeb » Fri Sep 16, 2016 6:26 pm

All,
I'm trying to get the ADFS SD card image( that hoglet kindly put together) working. In particular, I'm trying to boot DOSPLUS to load GEM with matchbox co-pro set to the 286. This was working at CCfH Abug meeting via Simon's sdcard.

At home tonight, I've imaged the file via win32diskimager on to a 2GB and 4gb sd card and both exhibit the same problem..
the "DOSPLUS" logo partially displays, corrupts, or doesn't display and boot up hangs at a flashing cursor. I can *. the disk image. I can also switch in to MMFS, unplug co pro and run the BEEB.MMB file fine.

Given the hardware worked with Simon's sdcard, I'm inclined to blame my sdcards. Are there any compatibility issues with sdcards? Are there any particular types I should use? Advice appreciated.

Thanks,
Jason
I had a great time at...
ABUG Cambridge Sept 20-22nd 2019

DutchAcorn

Post by DutchAcorn » Fri Sep 16, 2016 6:37 pm

Can you access the Winchester image and save and load files?

Have you checked your cmos batteries? We've seen this kind of symptoms with depleted cmos batteries.
Paul

jbnbeeb

Post by jbnbeeb » Fri Sep 16, 2016 6:51 pm

Hi,

I can catalogue the ADFS image fine. I've just saved and loaded a short BASIC program to the disk image ok. My battery is new from Mark/Retroclinic
I had a great time at...

hoglet

Post by hoglet » Fri Sep 16, 2016 7:08 pm

Has this particular Matchbox Co Pro booted to DOSPLUS before?

Dave

jbnbeeb

Post by jbnbeeb » Fri Sep 16, 2016 8:01 pm

Hi ,
yes - it booted at Cambridge meet up, where a (i think) modified ADFS ROM was burned for me. The only difference is I used Simon's sdcard as I didn't have mine with me, hence I think there is an issue with the two sd cards that I've tried at home.

I'm using the modified MMFS which you did for Simon for the sd card-via-6522-hooked-in-to-Master-internal-modem-pins approach.
I had a great time at...

sundbyk

Post by sundbyk » Fri Oct 07, 2016 10:49 am

Hi,

Excellent project.

If anyone need an userport MMC hardware for testing and development, I have a few I can give away to help this project.
Just cost £3 for the shipping including cable but not including ROM. It will increase shipping cost.

If anyone is intrested, send me an email I will ship it.
kjell@sundby.com
Kjell Sundby
Web: http://www.sundby.com

boba

Post by boba » Sun Oct 16, 2016 5:00 pm

Is it just me (or my Master) or is the hard disc emulation quite critical on SD cards?

I put Dave's image onto a Sandisk 2Gb card and it worked straight off in ADFS157 I could see the Panos stuff etc.. After a little while it stopped working with CARD? and I couldn't get it to work again. Same (sort of) with MMFS128 - came up OK but almost immediately gave CARD? and died.

Today I tried the same card again and ADFS157 came up straightaway but stopped working after a minute or less - CARD?. So something seems to go awry shortly after a cold start. Maybe the Master or SD card warming up? Any ideas? I'm using the original MMC interface. I think the Master itself is likely OK - I have an IFEL MMC interface which works OK.

I have a couple of other (non-Sandisk) 2Gb SD cards to try, meantime experiments continue.

jms2

Post by jms2 » Sun Oct 16, 2016 5:41 pm

All I can say is, I tried the same thing and have had no problems. This is with the old hand-made MMBeeb board.

boba

Post by boba » Fri Oct 21, 2016 1:30 pm

Fixed my problems and I can run both the 80286/DOS Plus and the 32016/Panos on the Pi Emulator. Really quite amazing work.

When I'm using ADFS1.57 I can't access floppies. Is this to be expected or do I have an earlier version? It's difficult to follow this thread because of all of the (incomprehensible to me :wink: ) developer chitchat.

It's a bit odd, because in DOS Plus I CAN access the floppies (as A:, B: of course) and even boot from A: - does DOS+ have it's own floppy routines? Normally when I type say *MOUNT 4 I just get an error message.
I notice that after doing *MOUNT 4 (and getting a bad drive) if I then do *. I get the disk0 catalogue as before but with the listing headed as Disk 4.

hoglet

Post by hoglet » Fri Oct 21, 2016 2:00 pm

boba wrote: When I'm using ADFS1.57 I can't access floppies. Is this to be expected or do I have an earlier version? It's difficult to follow this thread because of all of the (incomprehensible to me :wink: ) developer chitchat.
This is to be expected - there hasn't been a tested/released version that also supports floppies. The work has been done, it's just the testing (and possibly debugging) than needs to be done.

Dave