Ripping ADFS disks

discuss both original and modern hardware for the bbc micro/electron
kieranhj

Ripping ADFS disks

Post by kieranhj » Thu Oct 08, 2015 11:15 pm

Hey all,

I'm in the process of archiving my old floppy disks to PC via the TurboMMC setup on my Master. Being a Master guy back in the day it made perfect sense to use 640k ADFS L capacity disks. Of course these are a complete pain with an SSD based system. I've checked out the DataCentre and am on the waiting list for when more get made. Until then, does anyone have any handy ready-made utils for spanning ADFS disks across multiple SSDs and reassembling back again on PC? I'm in the middle of writing a short program to do this but I forgot how slow it is to work with real BBC Basic, how did I ever get anything done without a proper editor & compiler?!

Any suggestions appreciated. :)

Thanks,
Kieran
Bitshifters Collective | Retro Code & Demos for BBC Micro & Acorn computers | https://bitshifters.github.io/

poink

Re: Ripping ADFS disks

Post by poink » Fri Oct 09, 2015 12:10 am

The easiest way is probably to connect the floppy drive directly to a PC!

The usual problem of reading BBC floppies is one of finding PC hardware which supports FM as used by the Acorn DFS format. A lot of PC hardware doesn't support it, because all DOS format floppies are MFM. However, ADFS disks are all MFM (hence why you need a 1770 and the capacity increase).

If you're just trying to copy the files though, I'd suggest having a dig into the BBC Master's Welcome Disc, as that has a file copying program on it.

steve3000

Post by steve3000 » Fri Oct 09, 2015 7:34 am

Or any Archimedes with a 5.25" drive adaptor, and you can read ADFS L natively, then back up into a zip... The best is an A5000 - these don't need an adaptor, as they'll handle 5.25" drives plugged into the extra socket on the pcb.

flaxcottage

Post by flaxcottage » Fri Oct 09, 2015 12:21 pm

What I do in this situation is use a 5.25" drive and a 3.5" drive on the Master (I have one set up that way). Copy from 5.25" to 3.5" and then use OmniFlop on an old PC with a floppy disc drive to produce an image on the PC.

It is really simple - if you have the gear. :twisted:
- John

Check out the Educational Software Archive at www.flaxcottage.com

danielj

Post by danielj » Fri Oct 09, 2015 12:59 pm

It should be trivial to get UPURS to create ADFS images, I did start looking at this but babies sort of usurped my plans...
d.

station240

Post by station240 » Fri Oct 09, 2015 3:34 pm

Not sure if BBCzip can do this
http://mdfs.net/Apps/Archivers/BBCZip/
the man(ual) pages mention spanned archives, but a quick look didn't show how to create them.

rharper

Post by rharper » Fri Oct 09, 2015 3:51 pm

I use the BBC Master Welcome disc utility, then Omniflop on the PC.
Remember that any filenames must only be up to 7 characters with DFS.
Ray :)
Raycomp

Wookie

Post by Wookie » Fri Oct 09, 2015 11:06 pm

flaxcottage wrote:What I do in this situation is use a 5.25" drive and a 3.5" drive on the Master (I have one set up that way). Copy from 5.25" to 3.5" and then use OmniFlop on an old PC with a floppy disc drive to produce an image on the PC.

It is really simple - if you have the gear. :twisted:
Similar to my setup except my elk & master use 3.5" (I can plug in a 5.25" as well if needed), then I chuck the 3.5" into the Risc PC for backing up either as image or just the files and then via ethernet to my server or onto the internet.

Like you say it's very easy if you have the right toys :D
cheers Wookie
Overclocked StrongARM RiscPC + Viewfinder
Overclocked Arm3 8MB A310 + vidc extender
BBC Master with Matchbox CoPro
BBC B+ 64K
My original Electron from 1985 with Slogger MasterRam/Turbo,AP1,AP2 rom, AP3+4 & New AP6

kieranhj

Post by kieranhj » Fri Oct 09, 2015 11:50 pm

Thanks for the responses everyone. Alas I am a bit of a PC minimalist these days so only have tablets and an SSD laptop - no magnetic disks and barely any optical disks either! (Streaming is the future apparently ;))

I have managed to find a path by writing a simple BASIC program on the real Master to read raw ADFS tracks in 16k chunks and spit these out as separate files spanning 4x virtual DFS discs on the MMC card. I then wrote the reverse program on the PC under the BeebEm emulator that requires me to manually "insert" the virtual discs whilst writing out the files as raw tracks to an ADFS disk image mounted on the second drive.

It's clunky but it works. Let me know if this is useful to anyone else and I can always tidy it up.
Bitshifters Collective | Retro Code & Demos for BBC Micro & Acorn computers | https://bitshifters.github.io/

Return to “8-bit acorn hardware”