PiTube question

discuss both original and modern hardware for the bbc micro/electron
ihardcas

PiTube question

Post by ihardcas »

Hi all,

I've picked myself up a Pi and level shifter board and am trying to get the PitubeDirect package going. Scratching my head a little so figured I'd ask here.

I have a Raspberry Pi 3 and a Master 512 with the internal '186 copro. I'm plugging the PiTube in externally.

Regardless of how I configure the Tube, I can't seem to get any life out of the copro's.

I know the Pi itself works, I can insert a known working Raspbian/RiscOS SD card and it boots up with life on the HDMI output and joy from the power and disk access LEDs.

For PiTubeDirect, I've formatted another (2Gb) SD card FAT and dumped the contents of PiTubeDirect_Gecko_Fix1.zip into the root. With the SD card in and the Pi plugged into HDMI, keyboard etc (IE not attached to the Beeb), the power LED lights but nothing on the disk access or HDMI. I think I've read that on the Pi this sort of thing happens under software control of whatever boots so yes, I understand that this might be expected behaviour.

When I plug it into the Beeb, the Power light come on but nothing else. Unless I turn the Tube off (*conf. notube), every combination of intube, extube etc results in the internal '186 512K message and nothing from the Pi end of things. Beeb just displays 80186 512K banner from the internal copro.

Where do I start to unpick this?

cheers,
ih
trixster

Re: PiTube question

Post by trixster »

Assuming the sd card is flashed correctly and the pi works and is connected properly, this should be the process:

*configure notube
Break
*configure extube
*configure tube
Break

This works to swap from the internal tube in my Master to the external PiTubeDirect. You can substitute extube for intube to go from PiTubeDirect back to the internal second processor
Last edited by trixster on Tue Jul 20, 2021 3:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
trixster

Post by trixster »

The pi sd card instructions here mention FAT32

https://github.com/hoglet67/PiTubeDirec ... ng-on-a-Pi
ihardcas

Post by ihardcas »

Cheers yeah I do that and it reverts to the 80186 512K banner.

I'll pull the 512 copro just to remove doubt but I'm guessing something is iffy on the Pi - do you get disk activity when you inialize yours?
ihardcas

Post by ihardcas »

trixster wrote:
Tue Jul 20, 2021 3:01 pm
The pi sd card instructions here mention FAT32

https://github.com/hoglet67/PiTubeDirec ... ng-on-a-Pi
Good catch - trying that now.
KenLowe

Post by KenLowe »

ihardcas wrote:
Tue Jul 20, 2021 2:32 pm
I know the Pi itself works, I can insert a known working Raspbian/RiscOS SD card and it boots up with life on the HDMI output and joy from the power and disk access LEDs.
This doesn't necessarily mean that the GPIO pins are working. I've managed to damage the GPIO pins on a few RPis by wiring them up incorrectly. They still boot ok, but won't work with devices connected to the GPIO header.
trixster

Post by trixster »

ihardcas wrote:
Tue Jul 20, 2021 3:13 pm

I'll pull the 512 copro just to remove doubt but I'm guessing something is iffy on the Pi - do you get disk activity when you inialize yours?
Difficult to tell as it's a pi zero housed under the machine! There seems to be an initial flicker of activity
ihardcas

Post by ihardcas »

Yep! That seems to have gotten it. I was more caught up in just getting my old USB1 super shonky SD adapter working on Win10. Just took the default when formatting before it disappeared. Cool! I know what I'm doing tonight!
cheers!
(no disk LED activity though)
ihardcas

Post by ihardcas »

Oh - I pulled the 512 copro to get it to work.. that's not ideal... but at least I know the PiTD is working now.
trixster

Post by trixster »

that's a shame. you definitely can't *configure notube then break to turn the 186 off? and then *configure extube followed by *configure tube then break to turn on the pi?
ihardcas

Post by ihardcas »

Tried a dozen times, and no.

I'll plug my cheese based Z80 copro in and make sure I get expected behavior with the 186. It used to work OK a year or so ago when I last powered these things up.
ihardcas

Post by ihardcas »

Well here's the odd thing.
Plugged the 512 copro back in and everything works as expected.
*co. intube selects the internal one and extube, the external Pi one.
Vagaries of 35-year-old hardware I guess!
--ih
BigEd

Post by BigEd »

Glad you got it sorted!

One standard piece of advice doesn't seem to have been needed, but I'll mention it because anyone might later stumble on this thread with a similar problem to debug: the external Tube connector under the machine might well not make good contact initially. (It will usually never have been used, and be dirty or tarnished.) So plugging and unplugging a suitable cable or level shifter a good number of times, or cleaning the pins some other way, might well solve that problem.

Also, beware of plugging into that connector offset: with some arrangements, it's possible to connect just one row of pins, to one row of the socket, and it's the wrong row. Things won't work, and possibly might cause damage. Always plug in with the machine off, and have a good look or a good feel for misalignment.

Return to “8-bit acorn hardware”