Torch and Master

discuss both original and modern hardware for the bbc micro/electron
mgarmett

Torch and Master

Post by mgarmett »

Hi All,

Does anyone know if the Torch Z80 processor card is able to run in a BBC Master whilst another co-processor is installed internally? For example, if I have a ReCo6502 installed internally, and connect the Torch Z80 to the Tube connector on the front underside, then *CONFIGURE EXTUBE, should that work?

The reason I ask, is that I have tried this configuration and can’t seem to get the Torch to be recognised. No matter how I configure the Tube, the 65C02 is the only device seen, if I configure for an external Tube, I still get the 65C02 co-processor banner, even though it is installed internally (should that work like that).

I’ve read that the Torch does not implement the Tube in a standard way, so I thought that even though it was connected to the external connector, it was still being seen as an internal device...?

Appreciate any help.

Thanks

Mark
Pernod

Re: Torch and Master

Post by Pernod »

mgarmett wrote:
Sun Jun 20, 2021 12:48 am
Does anyone know if the Torch Z80 processor card is able to run in a BBC Master whilst another co-processor is installed internally? For example, if I have a ReCo6502 installed internally, and connect the Torch Z80 to the Tube connector on the front underside, then *CONFIGURE EXTUBE, should that work?
Firstly, do you have a version of Torch MCP installed for the Master? The latest known version is MCP 2.02 (CBM) which can be found at viewtopic.php?p=285944#p285944. If you have an earlier MCP 1.22 (ABM) then this should work too.

I tried your setup in emulation and also found *CONF.EXTUBE to not select the Torch Z80. What I did find though was that *CONF.NOTUBE worked.
- Nigel

BBC Model B: ATPL Sidewise, Acorn Speech, 2xWatford Floppy Drives, AMX Mouse, Viglen case, BeebZIF, etc.
mgarmett

Post by mgarmett »

Hi Nigel

Thanks very much for the response.

Yes, I’ve tried with those versions of MCP, and on real hardware I have the same results. CONFIGURE NOTUBE allows for MCP to execute, the screen goes blue and everything looks normal. I need to check as to whether doing allows the Z80 to actually execute any code or not though.

One other thing, I do have some documentation that suggests the card needs INTUBE to be selected, it states:

“If the screen goes blank when the master is switched on and the cursor goes to the top left corner then the Master has probably been configured *CONFIGURED for and EXTERNAL tube. Switch off, temporarily unplug the Z80 card, and configure for an INTERNAL tube”

If I’m reading this correctly it says it requires INTUBE to be selected, which seems counterintuitive to me as the device is connected to the external Tube connector.

Thanks again

Mark
egel

Post by egel »

Although the Torch Z80 Communicator connects to the Tube interface on the BBC micro, it does not use Acorn's Tube proctocol. So maybe you need to disable the Acorn's Tube proctocol in every possible way before a Torch Z80 works on a master.
mgarmett

Post by mgarmett »

Thanks Egel, yeah, this is kind off where I am leaning. I was hoping that others may have experience with this particular card in a pimped out Master, but it seems to be a rarer configuration for people to have tried.

Cheers

Mark
danielj

Post by danielj »

I had one working on a Master 512 (which has an internal 80186) - I honestly can't remember which combo of config options it was, but certainly some mashup of *co. extube and *co. tube/notube worked, as I was able to use it perfectly well. Are you sure the card itself is OK? I'd want to check the RAM was ticking over, there was a clock to the Z80, the CP/N ROM was OK, and then I'd want to check the 6522 as they're notorious for just dying...

d.
mgarmett

Post by mgarmett »

Hi All,

I managed to resolve this, so thought I would post my solution.

It ended up being a faulty 6522 chip, but also, if you have a second internal processor fitted to your Master, you must CONFIGURE NOTUBE, or else the internal processor initialises preventing the MCP ROM from starting up properly (at least on my machine with a ReCo6502 or with an internal Acorn 6502 second processor). The Torch was brand new old stock, so it was a surpprise to find the 6522 not working, but glad I did.

When you have no internal second processor fitted, it doesn't matter what the tube is set to.

I used the 2.02 CBM version of MCP and the 1.02 version of CCCP and I had the MCP ROM installed in a ROM cartridge in the cartridge slot.

I hope this helps anyone else with the same issue.

Cheers

Mark

Return to “8-bit acorn hardware”