PyClock - Raspberry Pi Econet Clock!

discuss both original and modern hardware for the bbc micro/electron
BeebMaster

Re: PyClock - Raspberry Pi Econet Clock!

Post by BeebMaster »

wiggy wrote:
Wed Apr 07, 2021 10:56 am
arg wrote:
Wed Apr 07, 2021 10:40 am
BTW, just noticed that Farnell have SN75159 flagged as "new product"! Is there a surge of Econet interest lately?
Sadly, no... It's just that they've pulled a lot of TI's parts into their linecard. Also sadly they aren't giving a date when they'll be in stock...
When I was assembling parts for the last batch of Econet kits, I found getting 75159 the hardest. I think TI or possibly Rochester will crank up the fab and make a batch for you if somebody orders 10,000 of them. In the end I got them from Utsource which, despite always requesting new or new old stock and being promised the same, some of them didn't look like they were, but I tested them all in Station 129 (issue 2 Econet) with a diddy little ZIF socket, and only one was duff.
wiggy

Post by wiggy »

BeebMaster wrote:
Thu Apr 08, 2021 7:15 pm
I think TI or possibly Rochester will crank up the fab and make a batch for you if somebody orders 10,000 of them.
That sounds about right (although 10k might only be enough to stop them hanging up the 'phone on you: you might need rather more to actually get the fab to run...). This is something being seen all over at the moment (lead times well over 6 months seem to be the norm, 12 months is not uncommon) and is currently driving those of us in the mid-volume manufacturing world to despair!

Rochester, btw, are a strange company (they are a distributor rather than manufacturer): their business model is buying and holding excess stock. So they are a "first-line" approved distributor for several major manufacturers, but mainly carry obsolete parts: they have an arrangement with the likes of TI and AD to buy an extra 25k or so parts on the last run of every part... (which has got my company out of a few holes when "procurement" weren't paying attention!). They also will pick up the surplus if somebody cancels an order (to save the actual manufacturer having to hang onto the stockpile).

All that said, I note that Mouser are carrying a couple of hundred (they're fine with small credit-card purchases, but all stock is in the USA so takes a week or so), TI themselves are claiming an inventory of ~4000 (looks like they're happy to ship direct, although I don't have experience with them) and Rochester have a lot - although they might insist on only dealing with a corporate account. So now might be a good time to stock up while there are still some left!
arg

Post by arg »

wiggy wrote:
Thu Apr 08, 2021 7:57 pm
TI themselves are claiming an inventory of ~4000 (looks like they're happy to ship direct, although I don't have experience with them) and Rochester have a lot - although they might insist on only dealing with a corporate account. So now might be a good time to stock up while there are still some left!
Last time I ordered some samples direct from TI, they were actually fulfilled by Digikey - even though Digikey claimed no stock of the parts in question.

Currently on the SN75159, Digikey are currently claiming "factory stock of 6150" @£3.05ea against which you can order with a MOQ of 125 (so £382.06).

The TI direct order cart claims a stock of 4015 and lets you order any quantity (as it's intended for samples) at only £2.95ea.

Also, TI claim that they are 'active' status, though obviously that could change at any time and it is single-source.

So there doesn't look like any imminent shortage.
myelin

Post by myelin »

I found the SN65C1168 when looking for a transceiver for my USB Econet interface (much neglected; see the thread discussing philb's current work for a contemporary alternative). It looks like it's still around, giving you a pair of drivers and a pair of receivers for $1.68. Might still be a good option for clock + data in one package.
SW/EE from New Zealand, now in Mountain View, CA, making BBC/Electron hardware projects for fun.
Most interesting: Arcflash, FX2+PiTubeDirect Tube/Cartridge adapter, USB cart interface.
guesser

Post by guesser »

BeebMaster wrote:
Mon Apr 05, 2021 9:01 pm
all you need is a Pi and the PyClock software! No excuses now, everyone can have Econet!
I have a couple of spare Pis, but none of my three beebs have Econet hardware, doesn't that count as an excuse? :lol:
Various teletext things including a web based teletext editor which can export as mode 7 screens.
Join the Teletext Discord for teletext chat.
eelco108

Post by eelco108 »

hoglet wrote:
Wed Apr 07, 2021 11:32 am
Just as another data point, Simon Inns designed a fairly minimal Econet clock using an 8-pin microcontroller:
https://www.waitingforfriday.com/?p=19
Or the even simpler version 1 of this: https://www.waitingforfriday.com/?p=43

I put this together on some stripboard a few months ago, and works great! Also fits inside a Beeb, if you want to.

Like this (with terminator too, plugable, which is the smaller stripboard at the bottom):
IMG_3317.jpg

Return to “8-bit acorn hardware”