Pi RGBtoHDMI interesting issue??

discuss both original and modern hardware for the bbc micro/electron
GoodToGo!

Pi RGBtoHDMI interesting issue??

Post by GoodToGo! »

Howdy all,

Got an interesting one. I run a 99p ($2AUD?) SD card reader running MMFSv2 1.49 on my Model B Beeb. On top of this I use a Pi RGBtoHDMI setup which works fantastic. When trying to run 'Frogger Retro Software' from Tricky's menu, the splash screen works fine, but when it comes to the game, I get a black screen, the Pi RGBtoHDMI power LED goes out and the Gen lock LED flashes until it gets a lock. I can't raise the menu on the PiRGBtoHDMI and eventually my TV displays a 'No Signal' message. The game is running in the background, as I can hear the audio.
A CTRL-BRK restores the display. (No Language). A power cycle returns it to normal.

Any thoughts??

GTG!
hoglet

Re: Pi RGBtoHDMI interesting issue??

Post by hoglet »

GoodToGo! wrote:
Mon Feb 22, 2021 9:35 am
Got an interesting one. I run a 99p ($2AUD?) SD card reader running MMFSv2 1.49 on my Model B Beeb. On top of this I use a Pi RGBtoHDMI setup which works fantastic. When trying to run 'Frogger Retro Software' from Tricky's menu, the splash screen works fine, but when it comes to the game, I get a black screen, the Pi RGBtoHDMI power LED goes out and the Gen lock LED flashes until it gets a lock. I can't raise the menu on the PiRGBtoHDMI and eventually my TV displays a 'No Signal' message. The game is running in the background, as I can hear the audio.
A CTRL-BRK restores the display. (No Language). A power cycle returns it to normal.

Any thoughts??
I've just tried this game on my Master with the latest dev release of RGBtoHDMI and don't see any issues:
capture21.png
The video timing is a little strange - the frame rate is 51.38Hz and there are are only 304 lines per field, 8 less than normal.

What version of RGBtoHDMI are you running?

You should be able to find the version in the Info Menu, under System Summary, at the top.

Dave
GoodToGo!

Post by GoodToGo! »

Howdy Hoglet,

Kernel version is 20201126 2d102ae
CPLD version is 3-12_BIT_BBC v7.9

Cheers,

GTG!
hoglet

Post by hoglet »

GoodToGo! wrote:
Mon Feb 22, 2021 9:12 pm
Kernel version is 20201126 2d102ae
CPLD version is 3-12_BIT_BBC v7.9
I've tried hard to replicate this issue and can't. I'm now using:
- a Model B
- MMFS2 v 1.49
- all other non-essential ROMs disabled
- Tricky's Menu (MMFS2 version)
- Frogger Tricky Arcade off the menu
- RGBtoHDMI Kernel version is 20201126 2d102ae
- RGBtoHDMI CPLD version is 3-12_BIT_BBC v7.9

So as far as I can tell, identical to your setup.

The only uncontrolled variable is the monitor - what monitor make/model are you using, and what is the Resolution in the top level menu set to?

All I can suggest is:
- do a clean install of the latest version (20210131_20ce5f0) on a blank SD card (i.e. don't just unzip over the top of an old release)
- if this still doesn't work, generate a log file (INFO/Save Log and EDID) and upload this to the forum

If you can't generate a log file (because the menu doesn't work), there are other ways to get a debug log, but then need a Pi serial cable.

BTW, the LED you are referring to as a Power LED is actually a "MODE 7 Detected" LED, so I would expect it to go out, depending on the mode.

Dave
hoglet

Post by hoglet »

BTW, I just noticed in the first post you called the game "'Frogger Retro Software"

It sounds like you might be using a older version, as it's now called Frogger Tricky Arcade (in the Menu):
capture2.png
And Tricky Arcade Frogger (in the game):
capture1.png
We need to make sure we are running the same version.

Could you also try the latest verstion of Tricky's Menu/Games from this thread:
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=16070

Dave
tricky

Post by tricky »

I don't remember setting it so 304 lines, although I think the VLSI 6845 adds 8 scanlines.
The code should be identical in those versions, but definitely better to be safe than sorry.
It is the only one of my games that uses that exact 6845 setup.
GoodToGo!

Post by GoodToGo! »

Howdy Fellas,

Updated the files as per instructions, still no joy. So attached is the log file as well as the EDID file. Because I had a blank screen, I mashed the save log file button a few times, so the latest will be at the bottom of the log file I guess. And the EDID file I had to zip because the forum doesn't like uploading .BIN files. (understandably)
And the Monitor is actually an LG HD TV.

Cheers,

GTG!
Attachments
EDID.zip
(337 Bytes) Downloaded 3 times
Log.txt
(19.59 KiB) Downloaded 6 times
hoglet

Post by hoglet »

GoodToGo! wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 11:38 pm
So attached is the log file as well as the EDID file. Because I had a blank screen, I mashed the save log file button a few times, so the latest will be at the bottom of the log file I guess.
Thanks for this. I don't see anything obvious that's wrong in the log. The last entry is it switching to the 304 line mode and the Genlock PLL locking.

After the game has started, and the display gone blank, if you do a control-BREAK at that point does the display recover? If so, that might be a better point to generate the log file.

I think the most likely explanation here is that your TV simply doesn't like the slightly out-of-spec screen mode (51.3Hz) generated by Frogger with genlock enabled.

There are a couple of further things you could try:
1. Disable Genlock, so that a standard 50Hz signal is sent to the display
2. Switch to a different model TV, and see if the results are any different (with genlock enabled)

Dave
GoodToGo!

Post by GoodToGo! »

I think the most likely explanation here is that your TV simply doesn't like the slightly out-of-spec screen mode (51.3Hz) generated by Frogger with genlock enabled.

There are a couple of further things you could try:
1. Disable Genlock, so that a standard 50Hz signal is sent to the display
Spot on! I disabled the Genlock and the TV was happy. I'll have to have a read of the wiki to familiarize myself with the Genlock feature.

Thanks mate!

GTG!
tricky

Post by tricky »

I haven't checked HW, but the emulator says 20.03ms - I'll get the scope out at the weekend.
hoglet

Post by hoglet »

tricky wrote:
Thu Feb 25, 2021 7:46 pm
I haven't checked HW, but the emulator says 20.03ms - I'll get the scope out at the weekend.
Yes, please do that and report back.

I just checked what's coming out of my Master with a scope, and the VSYNC interval was 19.46ms, which is approx 304 lines.

So there's definitely something interesting to figure out here.

Dave

Return to “8-bit acorn hardware”