BBC Master Compact... Some may wonder why Acorn did this strange thing...

for bbc micro/electron hardware, peripherals & programming issues (NOT emulators!)
Paul

BBC Master Compact... Some may wonder why Acorn did this strange thing...

Post by Paul » Thu Jul 11, 2019 10:37 pm

Ok, enough of the clickbate title :lol:

Im sure it's been documented, but its been bothering me this evening. Given all the space, airflow and convention of housing a motherboard in the 'base unit', why did Acorn choose to pack it into the keyboard housing?

I wondered if it were a way to create an 'electron 2' type base, where you could use a soap on a rope instead of the base, but tapes were well on their way out by that stage... So what was the genius behind it?

Sorry if it's already been discussed, and mods, feel free to delete if this is just duplication.

I have a master compact, but some lovely b***** school kids must have ripped off some of the keys....

Cheers,

Paul.
Last edited by Paul on Thu Jul 11, 2019 10:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jgharston

Re: BBC Master Compact... Some may wonder why Acorn did this strange thing...

Post by jgharston » Thu Jul 11, 2019 11:59 pm

Pack what into the keyboard housing? There's only a keyboard in the keyboard housing of my Master Compact.

Do you mean: why did Acorn follow its tradition of all-in-one computers? Well, tradition. I quite like my computer to all be in one box. I never had any need or wish for the free monitor stand Acorn threw in with them, I prefer to arrange my desk more flexibly.

Code: Select all

$ bbcbasic
PDP11 BBC BASIC IV Version 0.25
(C) Copyright J.G.Harston 1989,2005-2015
>_

1024MAK

Post by 1024MAK » Fri Jul 12, 2019 12:40 am

Have you heard of the Olivetti Prodest PC128S?

Some thoughts in this post...

Mark

Multiwizard

Post by Multiwizard » Fri Jul 12, 2019 6:30 am

Paul wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 10:37 pm
I wondered if it were a way to create an 'electron 2' type base, where you could use a soap on a rope instead of the base, but tapes were well on their way out by that stage...
Hi

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LGm5UvFfT3E :-k :lol:

Greetings, Wim... :-)

1024MAK

Post by 1024MAK » Fri Jul 12, 2019 7:14 am

Ahh, I remember that.... :lol:

Mark

Paul

Post by Paul » Sat Jul 13, 2019 10:58 pm

jgharston wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 11:59 pm
Pack what into the keyboard housing? There's only a keyboard in the keyboard housing of my Master Compact.
Ate you sure? I thought only the PSU and disk drive is in the base. I was going to get mine down, but ran out of time so Googled it instead...

http://chrisacorns.computinghistory.org ... mpact.html
Do you mean: why did Acorn follow its tradition of all-in-one computers? Well, tradition. I quite like my computer to all be in one box. I never had any need or wish for the free monitor stand Acorn threw in with them, I prefer to arrange my desk more flexibly.
That's not really what I meant, but yes, it's a lightly easier to setup, an A3000 vs an A310, but really, I dont get 'faking' a base unit type configuration that is the BBC Master Compact!
Although without monitor stand, the base unit configuration allows you to bring an old CRT monitor closer. Of course you can easily pop a tft on top of a beeb or A30x0 computer.
Last edited by Paul on Sun Jul 14, 2019 7:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Paul

Post by Paul » Sat Jul 13, 2019 11:02 pm

Interesting thoughts in those linked threads. The Franken-Electron made me chuckle.

Paul :D

webvivant

Post by webvivant » Wed Jul 17, 2019 8:08 am

Blimey. I used a Master Compact every day at work for a couple of years as my main work computer and had completely forgotten it was a two-box design. It's a good job the Internet exists or I'd be completely lost.

Maybe they made it two-box so that they'd be able to call the bit you use most 'Compact', otherwise they would have had to call it the Master Roughly the Same Size.