BBC Master 2.5" hard drive

for bbc micro/electron hardware, peripherals & programming issues (NOT emulators!)
jgharston

Re: BBC Master 2.5" hard drive

Post by jgharston » Mon Feb 11, 2019 5:00 pm

Witchy wrote:
Sun Feb 10, 2019 4:11 pm
and I can happily browse in ADFSExplorer, but BeebEm chokes on it and gives me error 18. Is there something else I need to do to it?
How are you accessing it from BeebEm? You can't 'mount' it as a disk, it has to be renamed to scsiX.dat (for ADFS 1.x0) or ideX.dat (for ADFS 1.x3) within your BeebEm disk images directory, where X is 0,1,2 or 3.

Disk error 18 is a DFS error, so that looks like you've tried to mount it as a DFS disk then tried to use DFS to access it.

Code: Select all

$ bbcbasic
PDP11 BBC BASIC IV Version 0.25
(C) Copyright J.G.Harston 1989,2005-2015
>_

Witchy

Post by Witchy » Mon Feb 11, 2019 7:56 pm

Ah right, I was indeed trying to mount it which I see now is for floppy images. This has made me RTFM instead of blindly scooting around menus looking for hints :)

There was a massive post here detailing everything I'd been doing to BeebEm to get it to recognise my image as ide0.dat, and after looking at the source for ide.cpp I tried removing the .dat files under .\discims and I STILL got 4 empty images. THEN I checked the full pathname of the ROMs I was changing and discovered I had 2 installs of BeebEm and I was changing files in the wrong one :roll: :lol: :oops:

Suffice to say it works fine. I'm off to give myself a kicking.

Thanks for all the help!
--
www.binarydinosaurs.co.uk
Where RIFA capacitors come to die

cmorley

Post by cmorley » Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:07 pm

Witchy wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 7:56 pm
I had 2 installs of BeebEm and I was changing files in the wrong one :roll: :lol: :oops:
Been there... done that!

Witchy

Post by Witchy » Tue Feb 12, 2019 12:14 am

I was baffled how I always got 4 blank drives despite everything I was doing to the files. I even moved ide*.dat to the desktop and STILL got blank files.

Hey ho, this was a nice screen to see:
Screen Shot 2019-02-11 at 23.21.41.png
--

flaxcottage

Post by flaxcottage » Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:52 am

Very nice.

It would be interesting to see what is inside the Education folder. [-o<
- John

AndyF

Post by AndyF » Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:32 am

In regard to the pic in the first post by the O.P , at one time I had something vaguely similar although it was 'home made'

It was an empty 5.25 single BBC drive with the IDE HDD interface and a small 1GB HDD inside too, as the drive case had a built in PSU too it was quite neat.

At least until there was some kind of surge in the PSU which appeared to fry the IDE board (confirmed by replacement) , so I guess the PSU was not really 'regulated' or ripple free enough to prevent this. Suspect it may of just needed a couple of sensible caps in parallel of its 5V output but I never looked into it further.

Regarding the front gap, this was very easy as a standard black PC 5.25 drive blanking plate fitted very well.

I no longer have it unfortunately, I may have a pic or two somewhere floating about.
Andy

* NEW * The Jetset Willy and Manic Miner community :)

Adventure games ported across to the BBC (in progress) as soon as I can find some time!

AndyF

Post by AndyF » Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:32 am

flaxcottage wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:52 am
Very nice.

I must concur with that (please) :) :) :)
Andy

Adventure games ported across to the BBC (in progress) as soon as I can find some time!

Pernod

Post by Pernod » Tue Feb 12, 2019 12:08 pm

AndyF wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:32 am
flaxcottage wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:52 am
Very nice.

I must concur with that (please) :) :) :)
I'd love to have a look through the whole image, especially the ROMs folder for any MIA :)
- Nigel

BBC Model B: ATPL Sidewise, Acorn Speech, 2xWatford Floppy Drives, AMX Mouse, Viglen case, BeebZIF, etc.

Witchy

Post by Witchy » Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:42 pm

Here's the education folder as a *CATALL. I can host the image on Binary Dinosaurs, I just need to get permission from the chap I got it from in case there's anything personal on there. Image size is 387MB.
bbcMasterHDDEducationDump.txt
(13.8 KiB) Downloaded 15 times
*edit* oh BTW that's just the directory called MISCELLANY, there's an awful lot more stuff on there.
Last edited by Witchy on Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
--

flaxcottage

Post by flaxcottage » Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:15 am

Thanks for that. It is hard to determine exactly what is there just from the names on the listing but there could be lots of MIA stuff. The entries entitled Derbys and Notts intrigue me since I worked for those authorities in the past and wrote a lot of software for them.
- John

AndyF

Post by AndyF » Wed Feb 13, 2019 10:57 am

flaxcottage wrote:
Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:15 am
Thanks for that. It is hard to determine exactly what is there just from the names on the listing but there could be lots of MIA stuff. The entries entitled Derbys and Notts intrigue me since I worked for those authorities in the past and wrote a lot of software for them.
I can't really unfortunately recall many however I do remember the large 'D' for Derbyshire as their logo on most of the titles. If memory serves the few (as I was in Derby anyway) the few Nottingham ones we somehow had ( ! ) were a green logo instead of the magenta Derbyshire.
Andy