!ADFFS

discuss general risc os software applications and utilities
Related forum: adventures

sirbod

Re: !ADFFS

Post by sirbod » Wed Jan 29, 2014 1:19 pm

sbadger wrote:does adffs do something to video modes/timings? and can i disable that part of it?
It's detailed in !Help - you need to change the following environment variable "ADFFS$LCDGM" in !Boot from "Y" to "N" to prevent LCDGameModes

I've never actually tested on a non-VGA setup, so feedback would be very useful.

paulv

Post by paulv » Wed Jan 29, 2014 1:41 pm

From what Steve's said in the past regarding LCDGameModes, it should only ever kick in if the MonitorType is set to 3 or 4 so you shouldn't need to change that setting.

If changing the setting does fix it then it's possibly a bug with LCDGameModes.
I've never actually tested on a non-VGA setup, so feedback would be very useful.
Neither have I :oops:

At the weekend, I could hook up my multi-sync to the Arc and declare the monitor type as TV to test this, it wouldn't hurt to see if I can replicate the problem too

Paul

sirbod

Post by sirbod » Wed Jan 29, 2014 3:34 pm

If either of you do test, just be aware that the latest beta of ADFFS implements frame pacing*, so it's going to cause games that update the display off Event 4 and don't frame swap to flicker - Chuck Rock and Heimdall are two off the top of my head. This is listed as a known issue currently.

I haven't yet decided what to do about it - either (1) turn off frame pacing and run the game at the monitor refresh rate, (2) force frame swapping or (3) abstract DA2 (the screen) into another DA and implement VIDC frame swapping independently of the game.

(1) means the game will run fast. Where music code hangs off Event 4, the music will be wrong
(2) entails remapping the screen memory every VSync - probably the best option. It does however rely on the game redrawing the screen from scratch
(3) won't work for ARM3 as there's not enough CPU or memory bandwidth, but will work for ARM610 / SA and is how it's implemented on the Pi. Quite complicated to code though

*frame pacing: The game sees VSync at 50Hz, regardless of the monitor refresh rate

steve3000

Post by steve3000 » Wed Jan 29, 2014 6:33 pm

paulv wrote:If changing the setting does fix it then it's possibly a bug with LCDGameModes.
Yikes, did someone mention a bug? (ears pick up)....
sbadger wrote:When loading games (zarch for example) it loads but the screen stops syncing and is garbage. When i try my original zarch disk (which i don't really like to use!) it works fine, so i know it's not the cable.
Stewart, just to check, when you connected the A3020 via the RGB scart cable, did you set the monitortype to 0 and restart the computer?

Code: Select all

*Configure Monitortype 0
This should disable LCDGameModes and avoid the problem you're seeing. Can you also check which version of LCDGameModes is running (try *Help LCDGameModes after !ADFFS has loaded).
sirbod wrote:If either of you do test, just be aware that the latest beta of ADFFS implements frame pacing*, so it's going to cause games that update the display off Event 4 and don't frame swap to flicker -
Jon - I didn't realise - is this implemented on older computers too, eg. RISC OS 3.1?

If so, I'd go with option (1). There are ways of tricking LCD monitors to run at 50 or 56Hz (I had/have plans for a 50Hz and 56Hz LCDGameModes...), and at these rates, the music and game play will fine or only fractionally faster.

Option (2) will lead to missing graphics on many of the older RISC OS 2/Arthur games, which will be the ones you're trying to get running. And for option (3) there is no mileage in using this pre-RISC PC (I'd say pre-StrongArm really) - there just isn't enough time/processor power left after running the game to rejig the screen memory.

Steve

sirbod

Post by sirbod » Wed Jan 29, 2014 9:22 pm

steve3000 wrote:is this implemented on older computers too, eg. RISC OS 3.1?
Yes, in the latest beta's
steve3000 wrote:If so, I'd go with option (1). There are ways of tricking LCD monitors to run at 50 or 56Hz (I had/have plans for a 50Hz and 56Hz LCDGameModes...), and at these rates, the music and game play will fine or only fractionally faster.
Paul, you and I had this discussion a long, long time ago, I'm sure the outcome was that it wasn't possible to get a 50Hz VGA compatible screen. That said, if you've come up with a way of doing it - that's fantastic, I can drop the frame pacing from both the IOC and IOMD versions of ADFFS.
The issue isn't samples playing faster, it's notes getting dropped. Run Pac-mania above 50Hz and you'll hear what I mean. I've no idea how many other games this affects - very few I'd guess. Pac-mania may well be the only one as the PRM clearly states not to run music off Event 4 :roll:
Whilst you're recoding it, make it dual VIDC1/VIDC20 so we can ditch the current hack I did.
steve3000 wrote:Option (2) will lead to missing graphics on many of the older RISC OS 2/Arthur games, which will be the ones you're trying to get running. And for option (3) there is no mileage in using this pre-RISC PC (I'd say pre-StrongArm really) - there just isn't enough time/processor power left after running the game to rejig the screen memory.
Pretty much what I said above then :wink:

paulv

Post by paulv » Wed Jan 29, 2014 9:46 pm

sirbod wrote:Paul, you and I had this discussion a long, long time ago, I'm sure the outcome was that it wasn't possible to get a 50Hz VGA compatible screen.
I've never come across an LCD screen that can sync down that low that isn't classed as a multi-sync.

My IIyama's are SXGA but supports SVGA and VGA resolutions. They get down to 55Hz but they're getting old now. I've found plenty of later monitors that won't sync that low with a lower limit of 60Hz.

The 800x600 screen res. that MODE 31 produces is actually a VGA screen mode rather than SVGA as it has a refresh rate of 56.2Hz. The SVGA 800x600 screen mode has a refresh rate of 60Hz.

As such, to run all of the official screen modes that RISC OS 3 produces when hooked up to a (S)VGA monitor, you need it to have a refresh rate range that at least covers 55-72Hz. which would cope with the remapped 15kHz screen modes as well as the VGA modes including MODE 31.

Paul

steve3000

Post by steve3000 » Wed Jan 29, 2014 10:18 pm

sirbod wrote:Paul, you and I had this discussion a long, long time ago, I'm sure the outcome was that it wasn't possible to get a 50Hz VGA compatible screen.
Yes we did and you're right, there is no way to get a 50Hz VGA compatible screen, as 50Hz is below the specs. of VGA monitors.

I didn't say it would be compatible. I'm talking about a trick that does work on a variety of LCD screens but not all.
paulv wrote:The 800x600 screen res. that MODE 31 produces is actually a VGA screen mode rather than SVGA as it has a refresh rate of 56.2Hz. The SVGA 800x600 screen mode has a refresh rate of 60Hz.
Not quite. 800 x 600 at 56Hz, in 16 colours, was the original VESA spec for SVGA back in 1989. To qualify as a SVGA monitor back then, the monitor would need to support all previous VGA modes (640x480 at 60Hz, 320x240, etc.) and the (then) new 800x600 at 56Hz resolution. So Acorn were actually following the correct SVGA standard at the time.

Today, as few modern computers support output of 800x600 at 56Hz, I suspect some LCD manufacturers have dropped support for this rate. The term 'SVGA' is now generally applied to the resolution and not concerned with the frame rate in any case.

steve3000

Post by steve3000 » Wed Jan 29, 2014 10:44 pm

sirbod wrote:The issue isn't samples playing faster, it's notes getting dropped. Run Pac-mania above 50Hz and you'll hear what I mean. I've no idea how many other games this affects - very few I'd guess. Pac-mania may well be the only one as the PRM clearly states not to run music off Event 4 :roll:
I know exactly what you mean - it's part of the reason I wrote QTM back in the day, QTM used the 100Hz vector when all the older tracker mods (used in many old games) hooked onto the '50Hz' VSync vector.

I need to understand how your frame pacing works. Probably a conversation for the jaspp forum... I'll dig out my password, and pop over. Presumably you do provide 50 VSync events per second? But are they aligned with actual VSyncs, or evenly spaced? If you align them, you should avoid flickering.

...oh and it was only in 1992 when the RO3 PRMs were updated to say 'don't run music off VSync'... good thinking by Acorn, but a bit late by then really... the RO2 PRMs don't say this and in any case, a lot of games coders didn't have the PRMs back then ;)
sirbod wrote:Whilst you're recoding it, make it dual VIDC1/VIDC20 so we can ditch the current hack I did.
Need to find some time but I do plan to update.

In order to do this properly I needed to support the RISC OS 3.5+ module-based mode extension format. This was briefly documented in vol. 5a of PRMs, but the description misses out a lot (doesn't even mention how to integrate with Display Manager for example). But I've had a go - have you seen AnyMode? This is my first use of the newer module-based mode extension format, and I've just about got it all working now. :)
sirbod wrote:
steve3000 wrote:Option (2) will lead to missing graphics on many of the older RISC OS 2/Arthur games, which will be the ones you're trying to get running. And for option (3) there is no mileage in using this pre-RISC PC (I'd say pre-StrongArm really) - there just isn't enough time/processor power left after running the game to rejig the screen memory.
Pretty much what I said above then :wink:
Yep, I was agreeing with you. :wink:

hoglet

Post by hoglet » Wed Jan 29, 2014 10:59 pm

There are some VGA monitors that will sync to a vertical frequency of 50Hz, as long as the horizontal frequency is greater than 30KHz.

For example, The HP LP2065 which I use does:

Horizontal frequency: 30-94 kHz (VGA), 30-92 kHz (DVI), Vertical frequency: 48-85 Hz (VGA), 30-92 kHz (DVI) linky

Dave

sbadger

Post by sbadger » Thu Jan 30, 2014 8:49 am

sirbod wrote:
sbadger wrote:does adffs do something to video modes/timings? and can i disable that part of it?
It's detailed in !Help - you need to change the following environment variable "ADFFS$LCDGM" in !Boot from "Y" to "N" to prevent LCDGameModes

I missed the !help, ( :oops: it's been 25 years since I used riscOS ),
I remember the whole shift clicking thing. Edited the config to "N".
Happy days! works as expected.

( i used version 2.20 )

someone asked how i configured the monitor - in terms of my config,
  • i did a reboot with 'del'
  • then set monitor type to 'Normal' in gui and default mode to 15
thanks for the helps everyone.
i'll test a few titles, but repton3 worked this morning

stewart
So many projects, so little time...

steve3000

Post by steve3000 » Thu Feb 06, 2014 1:59 pm

paulv wrote:From what Steve's said in the past regarding LCDGameModes, it should only ever kick in if the MonitorType is set to 3 or 4 so you shouldn't need to change that setting.
Ok, just to follow up on this, the problem is not actually in LCDGameModes. LCDGameModes loads on all monitor types, but it only switches on automatically if the monitortype is configured to VGA or SVGA (3 or 4).

However, !ADFFS overrides this and enables LCDGameModes for all monitor types in it's !Run file by issuing "*LCDGameModes On" if the module has successfully loaded. This isn't necessary and is causing the above problem. I'll drop a line to Jon, hopefully as it's not needed, this can be changed in the next release of !ADFFS.

For the moment, you can fix it by following Jon's instructions:
sirbod wrote:It's detailed in !Help - you need to change the following environment variable "ADFFS$LCDGM" in !Boot from "Y" to "N" to prevent LCDGameModes
Steve

sirbod

Post by sirbod » Thu Feb 27, 2014 1:45 pm

ADFFS 2.38 beta is now available, both Jahangir Khan World Championship Squash and Xenon 2: Megablast now work on the Pi

sirbod

Post by sirbod » Sun Jul 13, 2014 9:33 pm

ADFFS 2.43 beta is now available, Battle Chess now works on the Pi, as does 2967BC if you ignore the sound :?

Rotor is playable on StrongARM, although clearly has some issues with the screen end address and flickering. Diggers is close to working on StrongARM and does now get through the intro.

This version has not been extensively tested, so please report any regressions or new issues.

sirbod

Post by sirbod » Tue Dec 16, 2014 6:55 pm

ADFFS 2.46 beta is now available, which corrects the scrolling in James Pond, the palette swap in Lemmings and music in 2067BC.

The forum is now back online and all submissions etc recovered, sorry it's taken so long to get the project back online. It was a trying experience I can tell you!

I'm now off to play Elite Dangerous for a few weeks :wink:

Over Christmas I'm hoping to start getting videos on YouTube of the games that run on the Pi...including the native 32bit version of Elite that was produced with Hybrid, sadly we can't release it to the public.

steve3000

Post by steve3000 » Tue Dec 16, 2014 10:09 pm

sirbod wrote:The forum is now back online and all submissions etc recovered, sorry it's taken so long to get the project back online. It was a trying experience I can tell you!
Nice one Jon! I'll be in touch.
sirbod wrote:I'm now off to play Elite Dangerous for a few weeks :wink
Yes, that's going to take up some of my Christmas too...
sirbod wrote:including the native 32bit version of Elite that was produced with Hybrid, sadly we can't release it to the public.
Is that permanent?

Zarchos

Post by Zarchos » Wed Dec 17, 2014 10:07 am

Does the patch to get colour rasterised background for Zool work with your code, Jon ?

sirbod

Post by sirbod » Wed Dec 17, 2014 4:19 pm

Zarchos wrote:Does the patch to get colour rasterised background for Zool work with your code, Jon ?
Which patch would that be?

I've never tested Zool under ADFFS on the Pi, as there's a native 32bit version. If you can post a link to the patch, I'll try it.

PS Spoke too soon, looks like the Apache server that hosts the forum has thrown a wobbly, so it's currently offline again. I'll try to resolve at the weekend.

helpful

Post by helpful » Wed Dec 17, 2014 6:28 pm

Hi Jon,

Did you get my email a month or two back about David Bradforth's offer to host the project on the APDL site? Might be more reliable! Plus if it does break it's someone else's problem to fix, leaving you more time for coding :-)

Bryan.

PS. Shame about Elite :-( Let's hope that can be sorted out.
RISC OS User Group Of London - http://www.rougol.jellybaby.net/
RISC OS London Show - http://www.riscoslondonshow.co.uk/

Zarchos

Post by Zarchos » Thu Dec 18, 2014 5:20 pm

sirbod wrote:
Zarchos wrote:Does the patch to get colour rasterised background for Zool work with your code, Jon ?
Which patch would that be?
The one allowing to have the same rasterised colours in the background, as seen in the Amiga version.
You can even select the colours with the function keys.

I tried to find the link, to no avail, unfortunately.

If a *. member has it, please post here.

Xavier.

sirbod

Post by sirbod » Thu Dec 18, 2014 7:36 pm

The server is back up, hopefully and fixed...something to do with nonpaged memory allocation. I'll be keeping an eye on it.
Zarchos wrote:The one allowing to have the same rasterised colours in the background, as seen in the Amiga version.

Did it even exist? Have you seen actually it?
helpful wrote:Did you get my email a month or two back about David Bradforth's offer to host the project on the APDL site? Might be more reliable! Plus if it does break it's someone else's problem to fix, leaving you more time for coding :-)
I probably missed it, I've been living out of hotels since March so haven't been quite so diligent at checking my eMail.

I'll drop him a line in the new year.
helpful wrote:PS. Shame about Elite :-( Let's hope that can be sorted out.
Very unlikely I'd say, which is a shame after the work I put into fixing the bugs, and sort out all the frame syncing issues. Not to mention play testing it for two weeks solid to check we'd not introduced any new issues.

I was also approached by another company to assist in 32bit'ing their games and making them publicly available, that seems to have died a death as well. I just don't get why these people are all enthusiastic up front and once the conversion is complete, they refuse to give approval and disappear off the face of the planet. Very strange.

The irony is, Elite is already publicly available #-o

Anyhow...Elite Dangerous on the Oculus Rift is a massive improvement - and far more playable than Arc Elite. The AI is just too good on the Arc version.

Zarchos

Post by Zarchos » Thu Dec 18, 2014 7:44 pm

sirbod wrote:The server is back up, hopefully and fixed...something to do with nonpaged memory allocation. I'll be keeping an eye on it.
Zarchos wrote:The one allowing to have the same rasterised colours in the background, as seen in the Amiga version.

Did it even exist? Have you seen actually it?
Yes.
The text file said sthing like this 'I was disappointed when I brought back my copy of Zool bought at the BBC Acorn User Show as there are no rasters colours as found on the Amiga, so I wrote this little patch'.

Piece of cake, ah ah !

I'm sure it's on one of my Archies, so I'll try to find it back.

PS : Jon : you've got an email from me for the games for your preservation project so please read it and answer me, I could ship the parcel to you tomorrow.

steve3000

Post by steve3000 » Thu Dec 18, 2014 10:19 pm

I do remember the Zool patch too - as I recall it didn't give quite the same effect as the Amiga (the bars were at fixed positions, every 16 lines or so and didn't scroll up/down with gameplay), but definitely a nice depth of colour improvement.

I believe it was available on an AU cover disc? And called something really obvious like !ZoolPatch...

sirbod

Post by sirbod » Fri Dec 19, 2014 10:30 am

steve3000 wrote:I do remember the Zool patch too - as I recall it didn't give quite the same effect as the Amiga (the bars were at fixed positions, every 16 lines or so and didn't scroll up/down with gameplay), but definitely a nice depth of colour improvement.

I believe it was available on an AU cover disc? And called something really obvious like !ZoolPatch...
I'll have search through my cover disc collection.

Based on this description, yes it will work under ADFFS. It will be based on a T1 timer, which ADFFS accurately emulates down to scanline level on the Pi. On StrongARM, T1 is available so will be handled by the hardware.

You could actually make a new patch which correctly takes account of the vertical screen position, ADFFS has the ability to change instructions at runtime so can patch it to branch to a T1 setup routine in the plot loop.

I've just tested Zool under ADFFS, it's working on StrongARM but looks like the screen height is wrong, plays fine otherwise. On the Pi, it crashes after showing the loader splash screen, so some debugging required to get it working. As it's working under StrongARM, it shouldn't need much to get it working.

Zarchos

Post by Zarchos » Fri Dec 19, 2014 11:08 pm

Still don't know where the patch for Zool is but I've found this :
http://arcade.demon.co.uk/filepages/file43.htm
and there's a lot of material for your project (cheats, solutions etc ... for various great games).

RobC

Post by RobC » Sat Dec 20, 2014 6:51 am

I remember the Zool patch too. Definitely on a magazine cover disk along with a demo version of the game. My (unreliable) memory thinks it was Micro User/Acorn Computing rather than Acorn User though.

I'll have a look through my cover disks later today...

Arcadian
Site Admin

Post by Arcadian » Sat Dec 20, 2014 1:08 pm

Acorn Computing, June 93 contained the Zool demo at least ...

For a "Complete BBC Games Archive" visit www.bbcmicro.co.uk

davidb

Post by davidb » Sat Dec 20, 2014 4:43 pm

That issue also contains a version of the patch. I downloaded the ISO file for the Acorn User Cover CD 1 from the Internet Archive and found a Spark archive for the cover disk in the acornuser/discs/acorncomp/cover directory. I've attached the archive to this message for convenience. Despite the .zip file extension, it is not a Zip archive - use SparkPlug on RISC OS or nspark on Linux/Unix systems to unpack it.

Be sure to read the instructions before applying the patch!
Attachments
93_06.zip
Acorn Computing June 1993 cover disk as a Spark archive (not a Zip archive) - use nspark on Unix systems to extract the files or SparkPlug on RISC OS.
(725.87 KiB) Downloaded 79 times

sirbod

Post by sirbod » Sun Dec 21, 2014 4:18 pm

It was compressed and encrypted, but I've managed to extract the actual BASIC source, which is attached for future reference.

EDIT: Having now taken a quick look at it, it's not a patch. It simply shoves a piece of code into the RMA which palette bashes when F9 is pressed, using T1 as expected. It will only work on RO3.0 or below as the RISCOS IRQv handler address has been hardcoded into it.

So...it wont work under ADFFS as is, due to the hardcoded OS entry point. If it was rewritten to use OS_ClaimDeviceVector it would probably work.
Attachments
basic_original.zip
Zool Patch - BASIC original source
(1.85 KiB) Downloaded 57 times

sirbod

Post by sirbod » Tue Dec 23, 2014 10:35 pm

A little Christmas present for anyone that's interested...

ZoolCopper.png
ZoolCopper.png (36.62 KiB) Viewed 1778 times
I've rewritten the Zool Copperbar patch from scratch, so it's aware of the game. It will turn itself on only in levels, the bars track the vertical position of Zool and parallax and the level palettes should match the original Amiga version (worked out from longplay YouTube videos!)

Just extract the contents of copperbar2.zip into the !Zool directory, overwriting !Run, then run !Zool as usual. I've tested with v1.0b (Action pack version), although it probably works with the original protected version as well and will work up to RISCOS 3.11
Attachments
copperbar2.zip
(2.19 KiB) Downloaded 125 times
Last edited by sirbod on Wed Dec 24, 2014 10:02 pm, edited 4 times in total.

steve3000

Post by steve3000 » Wed Dec 24, 2014 12:27 am

sirbod wrote:I've rewritten the Zool Copperbar patch so it's aware of the game. It will turn itself on only in levels, the bars track the vertical position of Zool and the level palettes matches the original Amiga version.
Brilliant work! Thanks for the present Jon!
sirbod wrote:You'll soon realise why they didn't implement it on the Arc - a 4096 colour palette simply doesn't have the refinement to support the original palettes.
The original Amiga release version was pre-AGA so only used a 4096 colour palette. There was a later version for AGA computers which used greater colour depth as I recall.
sirbod wrote:When I get around to releasing Zool 26bit, I'll create a RO3.5+ version that makes use of the 16m colour palette, which should look like more the original.
That'd be the later AGA version you're thinking of - still this would be great to see on the RiscPC - I don't think there are many game which use 24-bit colour 'raster bars' on the RiscPC :)

Return to “32-bit acorn software: other”