Some software issues with my newly acquired A7000+

discuss general risc os software applications and utilities
Related forum: adventures

Optimus6128

Some software issues with my newly acquired A7000+

Post by Optimus6128 »

I am new to RiscOS and while I am reading the documents to familiarize with the machine, there are still some issues I have that haven't found an answer on the internet. This is an A7000+ running RiscOS 3.7, it has 40MB of Ram upgrade, 10GB HD with about 6GB free. There are few issues which could have to do with HD permissions or something but I can't figure it out.

1) I downloaded the AcornC_C++ compiler coming in 6 ADFs. Managed to write those ADFs in some floppies.
I am in the first screen as in here http://www.riscos.com/support/developer ... stall.html
It finds my HD path ADFS::HardDisc4.$.AcornC_C++
I click install and I get the message "Acorn C/C++ needs 3816 Kbytes of free disc space to install" and the button Continue does nothing.
I have free space in my HD. Is it something with permissions? Or is it something with the floppies?
Worst case scenario, I'll manually copy the files same as the directory structure provided in the tutorial. But I should know what is the reason this happens, when I have free space and nothing seems wrong.

2) I found out how to change my monitor clicking on !Boot then on the monitor icon. Because previously it was unknown. I needed to put it to Generic for now (I have a regular SVGA CRT) for some demos to find the proper resolution. But this is not saved every time I reboot. There is one message that comes whenever I set the new monitor: "Filing system ADFS: must be given a filename". I don't see any field where I can give a filename. Could it be that it tries to save the new settings but fails? Again something with the HD or RiscOS I don't know. Couldn't find any information on this message. Needless to say, I have succeed to open the !boot file and open or change things there, everything seems open to change, so normally it should have permissions to save automatically already.

3) A bit about burning CDs on the machine. Is it right that it has to be ISO9660? I changed the setting on ImgBurn. All I want to do is transfer a lot of things on CD-R from PC and read them in the machine. It's better than painfully copying stuff through floppies. The type of the burned CD in windows says CDFS. I think that's what this machine reads. I get the message that CD disk is not found. Doesn't recognize it. However,. I have with me some printed CDs from some Acorn World magazine, these can be recognized (although the CD struggles to read some stuff, fails,. but at least it can open the CD root folder). Could it just be the type of CDs I use to burn, or the burning app? Or some other settings? Which are the correct settings to burn CDs for this Archimedes?

I hope that's not a lot of questions. These are the few issues I need to solve so that my life is easier transferring software and bigger files to the machine, setting up the development tools, and generally know the OS is setup correctly.
hubersn

Re: Some software issues with my newly acquired A7000+

Post by hubersn »

Optimus6128 wrote:
Sun Sep 27, 2020 3:12 pm
3) A bit about burning CDs on the machine. Is it right that it has to be ISO9660? I changed the setting on ImgBurn. All I want to do is transfer a lot of things on CD-R from PC and read them in the machine. It's better than painfully copying stuff through floppies. The type of the burned CD in windows says CDFS. I think that's what this machine reads. I get the message that CD disk is not found. Doesn't recognize it. However,. I have with me some printed CDs from some Acorn World magazine, these can be recognized (although the CD struggles to read some stuff, fails,. but at least it can open the CD root folder). Could it just be the type of CDs I use to burn, or the burning app? Or some other settings? Which are the correct settings to burn CDs for this Archimedes?
CDFS on RISC OS is happy to read ISO9660 format. The problem you describe sounds more like a hardware/type of medium problem than a problem with the logical format put onto the CD-R.

For maximum compatibility, make sure that the CD-R you write is of good quality (early CD-ROMs sometimes struggle with low quality media - however, it is hard to recognize "good quality" before actually trying it out, I had drives that only worked with "Mitsui Gold" and "TDK Reflex" CD-Rs but failed to work with Verbatim Azo CD-Rs although the latter is usually considered high quality).

Depending on your writer and your CD-R media, you might get higher quality writes when you lower the writing speed. Avoid the BURN Proof mechanism kicking in, this often lowers the writing quality considerably.

Never ever try CD-RW - old CD-ROMs won't read those.

On the slight chance that it is a problem with the logical format, choose "Mode 1", single session, ISO9660 Level 1, no extensions like Joliet and Rockridge which might confuse CDFS.

Changing the CD-ROM might help, but watch for compatibility and power consumption - many CD writers need too much power even for the stronger Risc PC PSU, so no chance on an A7000.

Have fun
hubersn
IanJeffray

Post by IanJeffray »

The first issue could be due to the age of the app and/or poor progrmming. You may have too MUCH disc space, or simply too big a disk. If it's a RISC OS 3.1-era version of C++ it may be using 32bits for drive space and/or only expecting a 512MB disc at most. Try installing to a RAM disk of a few meg in size?
Optimus6128

Post by Optimus6128 »

IanJeffray wrote:
Sun Sep 27, 2020 5:25 pm
The first issue could be due to the age of the app and/or poor progrmming. You may have too MUCH disc space, or simply too big a disk. If it's a RISC OS 3.1-era version of C++ it may be using 32bits for drive space and/or only expecting a 512MB disc at most. Try installing to a RAM disk of a few meg in size?
That absolutely makes sense. 10GB is over the max size of 32bit unsigned int. Heh..
I have an older hard drive from previous Archimedes, or I can try the RAM disk trick next time.
However, I ended up copying the folders to their places and the C/C++/makefile examples seem to work fine.
helpful

Post by helpful »

Optimus6128 wrote:
whenever I set the new monitor: "Filing system ADFS: must be given a filename". I don't see any field where I can give a filename. Could it be that it tries to save the new settings but fails?
That error suggests that some part of your boot process has not completed correctly, leaving a system variable unset, so when the configure program tries to save the settings it uses a blank or incomplete filename. Do any errors flash past during bootup?

Having a quick look at RO3.7 in RPCEmu, this is my monitor configuration file:

Code: Select all

*show predesk*
PreDesk$Configure : HostFS::HostFS.$.!Boot.Choices.Boot.PreDesk.Configure.VRAM
Might be NoVRAM on a A7000.

Bryan.
RISC OS User Group Of London - http://www.rougol.jellybaby.net/
RISC OS London Show - http://www.riscoslondonshow.co.uk/
Optimus6128

Post by Optimus6128 »

helpful wrote:
Tue Sep 29, 2020 4:01 pm
Optimus6128 wrote:
whenever I set the new monitor: "Filing system ADFS: must be given a filename". I don't see any field where I can give a filename. Could it be that it tries to save the new settings but fails?
That error suggests that some part of your boot process has not completed correctly, leaving a system variable unset, so when the configure program tries to save the settings it uses a blank or incomplete filename. Do any errors flash past during bootup?

Having a quick look at RO3.7 in RPCEmu, this is my monitor configuration file:

Code: Select all

*show predesk*
PreDesk$Configure : HostFS::HostFS.$.!Boot.Choices.Boot.PreDesk.Configure.VRAM
Might be NoVRAM on a A7000.

Bryan.
Well, thanks. There is a VRAM and a NoVRAM file. They point to some screen configuration. Now, when I changed the permission on the NoVRAM file (not sure if I should) then the Set Monitor didn't show me the message before. However,. the configuration wasn't saved after a reset and the message showed again. I ended up clicking on the VRAM to set the monitor automatically and making a shortcut for later, it's faster at least than opening the screen settings.

Return to “32-bit acorn software: other”