Sparkplug (self-extracting version)

discuss general risc os software applications and utilities
Related forum: adventures

paintings

Sparkplug (self-extracting version)

Post by paintings » Thu Sep 10, 2020 4:46 pm

Since I was responsible (if that's the right word) for packaging SparkPlug into a self-extracting format some 25 years ago, it seems appropriate that I should answer the call for a self-extracting SparkPlug that doesn't look for !System on startup.

This version is designed to run on RISC OS 3. It should work on RISC OS 4.02, but this is untested.

Built on RISC OS 3.71 (RPCEmu 0.9.3).
Also tested on a RISC OS 3.11 build without !Boot or !System (ArchiEmu on a Raspberry Pi running RISC OS 5.26).

It's in the form of a Zip file: unpack the archive on any system (a PC is fine for this part), copy the "Splug-RO3" file to the RISC OS machine, set its filetype to BASIC and double-click.

Now that I've remembered how to do all this, I can easily knock together a version suitable for RISC OS 2 (i.e. with CLib bundled) if there's any interest.
Attachments
sparkplug-ro3.zip
(81.26 KiB) Downloaded 9 times

IanS

Re: Sparkplug (self-extracting version)

Post by IanS » Thu Sep 10, 2020 5:08 pm

paintings wrote:
Thu Sep 10, 2020 4:46 pm
Now that I've remembered how to do all this, I can easily knock together a version suitable for RISC OS 2 (i.e. with CLib bundled) if there's any interest.
That's fantastic, thanks.
I presume a RO2 version would also work on RO3 (and above?), a single version that works on everything would be nice.

paintings

Post by paintings » Thu Sep 10, 2020 6:46 pm

The reason I was thinking of separate versions for RO2 and RO3 relates to CLib.

For RISC OS 2, you must have CLib, as the version in ROM is too old.
For RISC OS 3, you don't need CLib, as the ROM already contains a suitable version.

My plan was be to bundle CLib alongside !SparkPlug, and write the instructions to say "double-click on CLib before running !SparkPlug for the first time, then copy CLib to System:Modules as soon as it is available". The catch is, you only want that to happen on RISC OS 2 - if someone were to do that on RISC OS 3, the wrong version of CLib could be softloaded.

Anyway, I should be able to upload the RISC OS 2 version later tonight.

richw

Post by richw » Thu Sep 10, 2020 8:35 pm

Don't you just need to make the system$path check in the !run file only happen if the check for CLib fails? So the same version could work on RISC OS 2 and 3?

paintings

Post by paintings » Thu Sep 10, 2020 10:03 pm

Herewith the RISC OS 2 version, complete with CLib.

Please note this is an older version of SparkPlug (2.23) as I couldn't get SparkPlug 2.26 to run under RISC OS 2.
Attachments
sparkplug-ro2.zip
(114.29 KiB) Downloaded 7 times

Return to “32-bit acorn software: other”