EtherLan200 / ShareFS madness

discuss general risc os software applications and utilities
Related forum: adventures

IanJeffray

EtherLan200 / ShareFS madness

Post by IanJeffray » Sun Aug 30, 2020 4:21 pm

I've a 4MB A3020 with an EtherLan200 card (10BT MAU). Stock standard UniBoot running from ADFS. Everything 'stock' so far. Yet... it gets pretty upset when I use !InetSetup to configure the network - lots of "not enough memory in module area" spam, and sometimes doesn't even make it to desktop because of that. When it does, the desktop is doing all sorts of weird things like this - weird iconbar, weird Taskmanager. This is just bonkers. I shall have to step through disabling things bit by bit to see what's really upsetting things so badly, but any tips/ideas appreciated - particularly if specific to EtherLan200 as I never had one of these before, but have all manner of weird behaviour with an EtherLan500 podule in an A440... I wish I could get hold of more Atomwide cards :(
IMG_E1281.JPG
Mad desktop

sirbod

Re: EtherLan200 / ShareFS madness

Post by sirbod » Sun Aug 30, 2020 4:40 pm

Have you updated !System from ROOL's System resources? In particular the whole Network stack, CLib etc.

What Ether? Module are you using? What's it's filename and version?

IanJeffray

Post by IanJeffray » Sun Aug 30, 2020 5:12 pm

sirbod wrote:
Sun Aug 30, 2020 4:40 pm
Have you updated !System from ROOL's System resources? In particular the whole Network stack, CLib etc.
No. For two reasons - 1) Wasn't aware of that. 2) Thought UniBoot should be 'good enough' and 'up to date enough' and in some ways I'd prefer to keep to all appropriate-era configuration - even UniBoot is "a bit new" for me really ;) I'll see what happens using the ROOL bits.
sirbod wrote:
Sun Aug 30, 2020 4:40 pm
What Ether? Module are you using? What's it's filename and version?
It's EtherH 4.18 (from the podule) or EtherH 4.33 (from UniBoot) both show the same behaviour.

I should say that if I don't run UniBoot, the (Access+) podule works fine and ShareFS works, but it only provides Internet 4, so I need to dig out old Internet 4-compatible userspace utils (specifically ifconfig) to allow me to get that configured appropriately to talk to the rest of my network. I'm sure it's better really to battle on and try to get Internet 5 working.

sirbod

Post by sirbod » Sun Aug 30, 2020 9:18 pm

IanJeffray wrote:
Sun Aug 30, 2020 5:12 pm
No. For two reasons - 1) Wasn't aware of that. 2) Thought UniBoot should be 'good enough' and 'up to date enough' and in some ways I'd prefer to keep to all appropriate-era configuration - even UniBoot is "a bit new" for me really ;) I'll see what happens using the ROOL bits.
If you weren't aware of PlingSystem, then you also won't know that many of the core RISC OS 3.11 Modules are still actively updated by ROOL, the network stack being one of them, along with FPEEmulator, CLib, the Wimp and several others.

If you don't want to keep all of !System up to date, fine, but I would advise updating CLib, the Wimp, the network stack and using the latest EtherH. I think the latest build of EtherH is in the RiscPC NIC drivers, if not I'll dig it out of RISC OS 3.20 for you.

Return to “32-bit acorn software: other”